Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S-Town
02-04-2017, 06:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017, 07:55 PM by El Gordo.)
S-Town
Have people discovered "S-Town" yet? It's a podcast from the people behind Serial. A few days ago they released all 7-hour episodes without any advance publicity -- and it's utterly brilliant. 

It starts with a call to the "This American Life" office from an eccentric redneck in Alabama, ranting about corruption in his local town, which he refers to as Shittown. He claims that the local police have covered up a murder to protect a wealthy family. The reporter decides to investigate, and there begins a pulsating narrative wrapped around the life of a truly extraordinary man. It's one of those tales that you keep thinking you're on top of -- before it shoots off in some other direction.

I can't say any more without spoilers, but it's very highly recommended. I listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks, but the writing and production values of S-Town are without parallel.

https://stownpodcast.org/
[url=https://stownpodcast.org/][/url]
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-04-2017, 08:27 AM,
RE: S-Town
Yes but how did you get on in Almeria?
03-04-2017, 09:01 PM,
Sounds like I need to get 7 one-hour runs in. Was a huge fan of Serial when I was a commuter. Thanks for the tip.
03-04-2017, 10:08 PM,
(03-04-2017, 09:01 PM)marathondan Wrote: Sounds like I need to get 7 one-hour runs in. Was a huge fan of Serial when I was a commuter. Thanks for the tip.

Hi Dan, it's addictive, so 7 x 1 hour runs probably won't cut it, unless you do them all in one day. Think El Gordo marathon...

A cerebral chap like you will greatly enjoy it. I can't even quite categorise it. One keeps thinking it's one thing before it reaches another crossroads and heads off elsewhere. It's not a big spoiler to say that a living maze features in it, and remains its own magnificent metaphor.
El Gordo

04-04-2017, 08:32 PM,
Yes but how did you get on in Almeria?
04-04-2017, 09:45 PM,
(04-04-2017, 08:32 PM)marathondan Wrote: Yes but how did you get on in Almeria?

As American webinar presenters love to say: "That's a great question!"
El Gordo