Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April: Lambs and jackdaws
05-04-2017, 09:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2017, 09:46 AM by twittenkitten.)
April: Lambs and jackdaws
Not getting out running has been driving me stir crazy. Everything in my body works less well when I'm not getting out for exercise. My digestion slows up, I get more caught up in my anxiety, I find it harder to concentrate.

Still heeding the physios advice, though, I went out for a fast walk this morning. Someone suggested it to me yesterday as an alternative and it landed. I remembered this morning that Cam was talking about speed walking while we were in Almeria so it isn't a new idea to me either. I just wanted to get out this morning so I've not yet done any homework on good technique - but I will.

It was glorious to be out in the April sunshine. I loved it and headed straight up a long slow hill, so got my heart rate up and got sweaty. I walk fast anyway, yet it requires real focus for me to keep up a pace that is a few notches beyond what I'm comfortable with. By the sound of my laboured breathing I figured I was pushing myself enough. 

The best bit about getting out for a run for me is always the fresh air and being out in the hills. This morning I walked past ewes and their lambs in the gentle morning light. I felt like I was stumbling along through the landscape and past the sheep families as they stretched into the morning I spotted a jackdaw pacing up and down on the back of one of the ewes, then flump itself down to sit on the creature's back, as if it were snuggling in for a bit. Everything was calm and tranquil except my heartbeat ;-)

A beautiful way to start the morning that made me really happy. I realise that 1 or 2 years ago I'd not have bothered if it wasn't running because some voice in my head tells me that anything else isn't good enough; that it is pointless to get out just because I want to and find a way even if that isn't running. That kind of thinking stops me before I even consider getting out for some exercise and often stops me from running even when I can (oh I won't be fast enough, its pointless. Why do I bother - I'm weak and useless anyway). I honestly thought that being part of a running forum would make the voice in my head nastier, give it more ammunition. But reading about everyone else's adventures genuinely helps remind me why it matters to go running.

Onwards! I must keep dragging myself out of the door :-)

Distance: 5.06 km
Time: 49m 32s
Av Speed 6.1km/h (just under 10 mins to walk 1km)

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

06-04-2017, 10:27 PM,
RE: April: Lambs and jackdaws
Nice work TK. fast walks are a great way to speed up the injury recovery process, and then it's also an easy matter to slot in a bit of jogging during the walks. Before you know it, you're running half marathons again. You definitely can, and are, doing it!
Run. Just run.
06-04-2017, 10:52 PM,
Yes, stay patient. I have a friend whose VLM is in doubt due to pushing too hard in training. Your time will come again, soon!
15-04-2017, 07:46 PM,
Hi there Twittenkitten!
Mixing walking and running is a great option especially if it’s off-road. Much healthier too as you’ll be using different muscle groups. Hope you are able to keep it up … and more of the lambs and jackdaws please.
01-05-2017, 06:26 PM,
Hello you lovely lot Smile I've not been back on here since that walk so missed your lovely messages. Cheers :-)

xxxx

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...