Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April 2017
11-04-2017, 02:32 PM,
April 2017
If anybody still scrolls this far down the diary list.....this is an update on my latest endeavours.

My last outing in a hooped vest was September 2016. Quite a gap. A mixture of illness, acute back injuries (self-inflicted), exotic holidays and impending redundancy (that I've managed to avoid this time) has kept me from any form of regular training.

But there would appear to be some kind of light at the end of the tunnel.

On Saturday we found ourselves lazily pottering about by the river in Littondale. A quiet and beautiful part of The Dales and home to my favorite road race: The Arncliffe 4.

I find four miles to be the perfect distance for a foot-race. Never mind the sublime surroundings.

So it seemed a good opportunity to don my trainers and have a recce. I ended up running around the course twice for good measure. It was a very deliberate and uncomfortable outing.

But it marked some kind of psychological turning-point and I'm now resolved to attempt to get fit for this race come August. Not an enormous distance you might think. But to run it well will involve some significant commitment over the coming four months.

And I'd also like to tackle The Burnsall 10 on the following Saturday. An altogether bigger fish to land in your net.

Next stop a Lakes 'AM' fell race in 11 days time. I'll be struggling around with the back markers that's for
sure. But everything is a step in the right direction at the moment.
11-04-2017, 02:43 PM,
RE: April 2017
(11-04-2017, 02:32 PM)glaconman Wrote: My last outing in a hooped vest was September 2016. Quite a gap. A mixture of illness, acute back injuries (self-inflicted), exotic holidays and impending redundancy (that I've managed to avoid this time) has kept me from any form of regular training.
Great to see you out and about G'man! Impending redundancy is also afflicting my efforts, and I can only say that to be out there and running really makes a huge (positive) difference in dealing with the stress and trauma of work, and possible redundancy in particular. If the back allows, do get out there, as often as you can!
Keep us posted!
Run. Just run.
11-04-2017, 02:49 PM,
Cheers mate. Yes, you're right of course. And yet somehow I managed to go in the opposite direction and shun excercise for a couple of months. Funny how our minds react to these things differently.

Anyhow, back into some kind of groove now.
15-04-2017, 07:45 PM,
Yep, 4 miles is my favourite distance too although probably not for racing. Most of my runs these days seem to range between 6 and 8k unless it’s a long outing with lots of walking.
Take it that your next race will be next weekend. Let us know how it went. (I’ve got one too!)
16-04-2017, 10:43 PM,
Good to see you back, G-Man. I love the sound of those local races, moreso the terrain. Work, or the fear of loss of work, is debilitating. I agree with MLCMMan to a degree. I struggle to find my own balance; currently, this month at least, I'm losing.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-04-2017, 02:02 PM,
Yes Sweder, debilitating is a very good way of putting it. And I feel for MLCMM who is still having to deal with it. I'm a wiser man certainly, but it's left a very bitter taste.

How did I get on BB? Well, if I told you I'm still walking gingerly down stairs 4 days later you'll get some idea what it did to my quads. They have never been so wrecked.

At (18.5km / 11.5m) with (1100m / 3609ft) ascent I just hadn't done any adeqaute preparation. The first ascent in a Lakes horseshoe always seems to be very long (In this case the settlement of Stair up to the top of Robinson). This really takes it out of you early. And some of the descents are ridiculous (eg the rough way off Dale Head). Long, steep and very technical.

What I found interesting is just how much damage we can do by putting ourselves into a particular situation. Mild social pressure and a bruised ego can drive-us-on beyond anythng we'd manage if out training alone.

Hilarious really.
28-04-2017, 12:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-04-2017, 12:45 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(26-04-2017, 02:02 PM)glaconman Wrote: What I found interesting is just how much damage we can do by putting ourselves into a particular situation. Mild social pressure and a bruised ego can drive-us-on beyond anythng we'd manage if out training alone.

Hilarious really.

Yep. I like to think I'm old enough and wise enough to not fall for that nonsense. But, as you say, it's hilarious how we fall for it. Every ... single ... time.

Dodgy
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  May 2017 glaconman 11 2,636 01-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Last Post: glaconman