Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May 2017
02-05-2017, 12:10 PM,
May 2017
Another week and another fell race. They will come thick and fast now until the dark side of Autumn.

This time the Coiners fell race in the Calder Valley.

http://www.cvfr.co.uk/races/coiners/

From Mytholmroyd up to Stoodley Pike and back around the bottom of Cragg Vale to deliver a circuitous route back. The Coiners is fascinating local history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cragg_Vale_Coiners

I set-off at a sensible pace. But as the ascent moved onto open moorland began to press and started passing runners. The descent, however, was a series of long traverses interspersed with descents.

One-by-one they all came back past me as I drifted into the arena of the unwell. Stumbling through deep, stagnant peat bogs and rocky outcrops like a wounded fugitive.

An early-season warning. Family were slightly embarrassed by the spectacle and my inability to pace.

Like I've never done this before. Must try and avoid this. Patience is the key.
08-05-2017, 12:28 PM,
RE: May 2017
Another couple of races to make 3 in a week. I seem to be back to the 'racing yourself fit' school of running.

First up the Lothersdale fell race. Nestling in one of the a hidden creases of the South Pennines. A largely runnable affair minus the rough pack-horse trail in the first few hundred metres. Up to the trig and back. No dramas. And a great way to spend a Wednesday evening.

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=5102

Then on Sunday the first Bofra of the season at Sedbergh in The Howgills. We were staying in Bowland so a short drive upto this beautiful spot seemed the obvious thing to do.

The climb had about 3 false summits which was abit testing mentally. And I wasn't entirely sure what to do when we dropped over the main descent. Too many rocks to go down on my a*se. So a quad-trashing traverse down the near vertical hillside. Plenty of sunshine and a few ales when we got back-to-base made it a thoroughly good day out.

http://www.bofra.org.uk/assets/racepages...dbergh.php

An easy week beckons.
08-05-2017, 07:11 PM,
Lovely stuff, GM.

Yes, perhaps an easy week would be a good idea.

Didn't fancy the Tiger's Todger?

Sometimes it's hard to tell which is the name of a race, and which is the name of a post-race beer.
09-05-2017, 07:51 AM,
Hi Dan.

Predictably the Tiger's Todger starts from a rugby club in Sheffield.

Yes, some race organisers have opted for a catchy name. The race I did in the Lakes a few weeks ago was called the Anniversary Waltz with it's sibling, run at the same time, the Teenager with Altitude.

Personally I'm old-school. There's something very dignified about a race called Borrowdale. I mean, it tells you everything you need to know. In my case, stay away, this is for proper fell runners.

And it's often the same with beer. They say, you are what you drink. Well, I'm a Bitter man.
09-05-2017, 10:49 AM,
(09-05-2017, 07:51 AM)glaconman Wrote: And it's often the same with beer. They say, you are what you drink. Well, I'm a Bitter man.

Hmmm.  That makes me Hoppy with a grapefruit infusion.
There is more to be done
09-05-2017, 01:39 PM,
(09-05-2017, 10:49 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 07:51 AM)glaconman Wrote: And it's often the same with beer. They say, you are what you drink. Well, I'm a Bitter man.

Hmmm.  That makes me Hoppy with a grapefruit infusion.

Of course you're Hoppy... what, with all those blisters and all...
Run. Just run.
19-05-2017, 12:29 PM,
Did I have an easy week? I think it was easy until Thursday. Then x4 mile repeats with 3min recoveries put an end to that. And then Sunday saw another cracking race; a real lung-buster.

Things seem to be going well. My training is 'spiky'. Maximum 2 hard efforts in any 7 day period. And some easy stuff pushed in between when I can. The complex science has been diluted and repackaged to give me a simple pattern to follow.

Great Whernside Uphill Only was Sunday's proposition.

http://www.wharfedaleharriers.co.uk/even...de-uphill/

I'm always thrashed on the descent. So the thought of actually finishing on the summit was very appealing. During my warm-up I felt quite tired and anxious about the task at hand. It really was a long and steep drag to the summit. More than the 2 miles advertised I would have said. Neither did I eat properly given the awkward 2:30 start time. Enough excuses though.

I was pretty pleased with the way I paced the run and how I kept working hard to the top. And it was a pleasure to just lope back to the bottom instead of risking life and limb. Oh, and the views were great.

http://myyorkshiredales.co.uk/trig-point...rig-point/

There were a couple of legends in the race. In 3rd place an 8 times English fell running champion. And a few seconds behind me (although I didn't even notice at the time) was somebody with a chapter devoted to them in FITC.

It must be the only sport where this happens. The long-tail of a fell race really makes it a very inclusive and democratic sport.
19-05-2017, 10:38 PM,
Ian Holmes maybe? Seem to remember he lives out your way.

Funnily enough I've just given my paperback copy of Feet in the Clouds to the organizer of the Alto Sil race. He's in Wales this weekend taking part in the legendary Dragon's Back race ....which also has a chapter in the book (so I told him to read it on the plane!)

Get those races in G-Man!
20-05-2017, 03:13 PM,
Only one person has won it 8 times. It was Simon Bailey. I think Holmsey has 5 English Open titles. But is still the most prolific runner the sport has ever seen.

And I think we're talking about the same chapter. The second person was the woman who won the first DB in 1992. Her surname has changed since.

If he goes the distance that will be some achievement.
21-05-2017, 06:52 PM,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helene_Diamantides
28-05-2017, 10:15 PM,
(19-05-2017, 10:38 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Funnily enough I've just given my paperback copy of Feet in the Clouds to the organizer of the Alto Sil race. He's in Wales this weekend  taking part in the legendary Dragon's Back race ....which also has a chapter in the book (so I told him to read it on the plane!)

The fellow finished 7th!!!
01-06-2017, 12:26 PM,
(28-05-2017, 10:15 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:
(19-05-2017, 10:38 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Funnily enough I've just given my paperback copy of Feet in the Clouds to the organizer of the Alto Sil race. He's in Wales this weekend  taking part in the legendary Dragon's Back race ....which also has a chapter in the book (so I told him to read it on the plane!)

The fellow finished 7th!!!

Impressive stuff. Looks like there were 127 solo finishers and almost as many dnfs. 5 long days in the mountains is a big ask.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  April 2017 glaconman 6 1,577 28-04-2017, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man