Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's getting better
16-09-2017, 09:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 16-09-2017, 09:08 AM by Charliecat5.)
RE: It's getting better
He has a way of just nudging me back on track.

A horrible 10-mile race last weekend forced me to have an honest look at my running of late.  For all my excuses (and boy I had a few), the race was horrible because I was horribly unprepared.   I simply had not been racking up quality miles.  The trouble is when this sort of thing happens my head metaphorically drops and I lose my running mojo. 

So, the offer of a coffee and a sandwich with the Goat on Wednesday was very timely.  To be fair, he didn’t offer the sandwich… I kinda asked for it.  Hinted in the strongest terms.  It was a very good sandwich tho’.   It was just a general natter, as we hadn’t seen each other for a while.  Usual stuff: sex, drugs, rock and roll…

However, in the course of nattering, I mentioned my running woes… and as has happened in the past on occasion, he didn’t say much… but just gently nudged me back into the right place. 

Since then I have had three good runs… all quality affairs… running to my agenda rather than the agenda of others (which is essence was his advice).   This morning I joined the herd at 7:30am for one of their training runs.  Half the group was heading out for a 16-mile run and the other who are tapering for a race next week did a 9 miller.  I decided on the 9 miler so as not to overdo it, and for once, stuck to the plan… even though at the turnaround point I was tempted to stay with the longer group.   

Turning at 4.5 miles meant coming back with the fast guys… so the second half was 2 minutes a mile quicker than the first.  It did push me… but I felt overall the quality of the run was much better than if I’d simply plodded out 16 miles.

I am trying, really trying, to be sensible and stick to Glaconman’s rule of 10% increases.  Make the runs meaningful, rather than kidding one’s self with the old junk miles. 

It’s just that being sensible doesn’t come easily to me.
There is more to be done
17-09-2017, 06:17 AM,
Dance to your own tune. Yes, that's great advice.

I would liken running mojo to a 3-D printer. There are no breakthrough runs. Just try and lay down lots of tiny increments. Consistency. But accept backward steps.

Keep it spiky. Hard-easy-hard-easy-rest. Repeat. Don't fall into the Zone 3 Plateau.

Treat it like a game of chess. But never resign Smile
21-09-2017, 03:51 PM,
(17-09-2017, 06:17 AM)glaconman Wrote: Keep it spiky. Hard-easy-hard-easy-rest. Repeat. Don't fall into the Zone 3 Plateau.

I get this... and it makes a lot of sense.  Doing the hard runs is the 'easy' bit (particularly if I go out with OATR), it is the easy runs I really struggle with.  I am never sure how easy, easy needs to be.  If I wear my heart rate monitor it very quickly moves through zone 2 heading north, often before I've left the house.   It feels as though I need to be walking to achieve this.

Where I have got to thus far is to keep my pace above 9min/mi along the flat.  As much as you can do 'flat' in Lewes.

Does this sound about right?
There is more to be done
21-09-2017, 08:29 PM,
I guess it depends on how fast a runner you are. I think you're a bit faster than me, maybe about where I was 10 years ago. I used to regard, on the level, 7MM as flat-out, 8MM as a tempo pace, and 9MM as easy. These days I'd probably put 30 sec on each of those, for me.

The guide for easy pace has always been "conversational".
22-09-2017, 02:27 AM,
Somebody once described it to me using the analogy of the High Striker you get at a funfair. Sometimes you need to bring the hammer down hard and hit the bell. And it's those sessions that will prompt adaptation.

We're all different I guess. Typically I'm only interested in 'hitting the bell' twice a week.

Everything else comes under the banner of 'enjoyable excercise'. But nothing should impede those 2 efforts. And if I go too hard inbetween then that will just diminsh them.

That's the way I roll. This is my current week. Providing I get out of bed in time on Saturday. Not exactly high mileage. About 15 miles of running. All off-road.

mon: rest
tue: track 18x200 (100 recovery)
wed: lunchtime recovery run (4.5 miles)
thu: rest
fri:        cycle to work (30m)
sat: 4.9m fell race
sun: easy cycle in Dales (40m)
26-09-2017, 09:19 PM,
So far, I am actually doing it.   I’m following Glaconman’s advice (sort of).  I am working hard to vary my runs – keeping them either slow and steady, or fast and furious.  I am also trying my best to build up a solid base, rather than doing something silly.  It helps that BGG isn’t running much at the moment.  Most of the silly stuff happens when he’s around, I’ve found.   Well apart from OATR.  He’s pretty good at the silly stuff as well.

So far this week and I have been out for a slow 11 miler following much of the first half of the Moyleman.   And then this evening another Herd run around town rattled off 7.25 miles and two sets of hill reps to get the blood boiling.

I am entered in the Downland 10 on Sunday… I’m in two minds whether to run or marshal.   I fear blowing a gasket in my training schedule.  On the other hand, it is a run right on my doorstep on terrain I know like the back of my hand.   Choices choices.
There is more to be done
27-09-2017, 01:14 AM,
(26-09-2017, 09:19 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote: I am entered in the Downland 10 on Sunday… I’m in two minds whether to run or marshal.   I fear blowing a gasket in my training schedule.  On the other hand, it is a run right on my doorstep on terrain I know like the back of my hand.   Choices choices.

Do it, do it for fun. Just run it easy and enjoy the outing .... force yourself to relax and forget about setting any particular time. The beer will taste so much better afterwards.
Run. Just run.
27-09-2017, 12:36 PM,
I would love to run this Sunday - but (as just blogged) I fear any sort of distance/pace this weekend would not be wise, post-illness.

Provided you are not suffering physically too much, I'd run it and not give a damn about times. Just head out and enjoy it.

That's what I would be doing this weekend if I could!
27-09-2017, 02:13 PM,
My take on races is that they should be raced.

If you're mentally and physically 'ready to race' then go for it.

Otherwise save yourself for another day. Get some marshal 'karma' in-the-bag.

But, you know, when it's your local race.......tough one.
05-10-2017, 09:01 AM,
My good pal, and Moyleman organiser/runner Brian has brought this to my attention:  

This

My favourite bit is: "Running is a simple sport, and its essence requires simply that you do the work".   In other words, forget all the crap that surrounds the sport, the more you run, the better you get.  Simples.  

There is more to be done
05-10-2017, 09:54 AM,
V good indeed

I'd also say, for me, the more you can run consistently, week in week out, the better it gets ...

... I just need to resume after nearly 2 weeks doing none
05-10-2017, 10:01 AM,
So I'm using the Almeria as my motivation - and using RK HM training plan (which really helped me succeed on Thames River Path Half last year at this time), as the reminder to do the runs.
08-10-2017, 09:05 AM,
(05-10-2017, 09:01 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: My favourite bit is: "Running is a simple sport, and its essence requires simply that you do the work".   In other words, forget all the crap that surrounds the sport, the more you run, the better you get.  Simples.  

Yep. Very simple. The complication is that you are always competing against a most devious and dastardly opponent... your own mind.
23-10-2017, 09:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 23-10-2017, 09:03 AM by Charliecat5.)
I'll just leave this here...

It's by an artist called Jake Likes Onions.
There is more to be done
23-10-2017, 12:10 PM,
I like this one. It's very ... Lewes.

[Image: fzh3YSa.jpg]
Run. Just run.
24-10-2017, 07:42 AM,
(23-10-2017, 12:10 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
I like this one. It's very ... Lewes.

[Image: fzh3YSa.jpg]

Yep... I can't argue with that.