Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes
17-07-2017, 02:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017, 02:54 PM by Charliecat5.)
RE: Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes
I was told off a little while ago by a none-running-friend for complaining about my weight… I understood this at the time, because I am by no means a fat bastard.  But I use to be.  And that’s why I remain sensitive about it.  Five odd years ago, I weighed over 90 kilos, which for a man of my stature is quite a lot.   It was whilst playing football at the Dripping Pan (Dads vs. Kids knockabout) that I decided to grab my ballooning body (so to speak) and do something about it.  The tipping point was twisting my knee and realising that it probably wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t had been a couple of stone over weight.

My approach to weight loss was very simple.  To eat less.  I didn’t follow any particular diet, none of the trendy trends, I just cut my intake by between 300 and 500 calories a day.  In fact, I’m guessing about the calories, as I didn’t actually count them.  The one thing I did do, is cut out the things that I like to binge on.  These were a real risk to my diet… so I decided it was better to not to have them at all.  This mainly included bread, peanut butter and crisps.  I also reduced the amount of beer I was drinking and only drank at the weekend.  

It took me about six months, and my weight fluctuated up and down during the period, but the overall trend was downwards.  I didn’t really know what weight I was aiming for, but it kind of just happened on its own.  I reach a point (78-80kg) when I wasn’t losing any more weight.  I felt pretty good, I was biking well (I was a mountain biker in those days), so decided to stop the diet.   Since then I have bounce up and down a little but the aim is to stay under 80kg.  At the moment, I would like to get down to under 78kg as I know my running improves (currently at 80kg).

On another note, I have just been out for an 8.5 mile run in the stinking mid-day sun.  It was horrible and very slow.
There is more to be done

Messages In This Thread
RE: Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes - by Charliecat5 - 17-07-2017, 02:51 PM