Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clubbed again
09-08-2017, 10:45 AM,
Clubbed again
Since I posted the blog about my first three club runs - I've done two more in fairly quick succession, Sunday 30 July (Seven Stiles) and then Wednesday 2 August (Highdown Hike).

Me trailing Mark Wilson and sporting jaunty new hat

Seven Stiles over in Henfield runs along the river Adur and has a grand total of 2 stiles (five have seemingly disappeared). It's largely flat with some gentle rises - and just 6k. So I thought I'd lose no time on race tactics and just run it. Indeed such was my unconcernedness about the times, I did a gentle Sunday Twitten Run at 9am, resisting the urge to chase CC5 up the streets, before driving over to Henfield for 11am start. A large Lewes AC turnout meant our attendance points were in the bag, and the speedy front runners meant lots of 10s and 9s for those finishing in the top 2 deciles.

Rain in previous days had threatened to turn river banks into mud, and we were warned that the other paths were puddled. I hadn't got on with the flat of the beach run and was pleased to find the route had enough undulation in it to create some gentle ups and downs. I quickly found myself alongside two runners who normally outpace me (including my target man from the beach run) and trotted along with them for a bit. Then feeling myself quite comfortable I pressed on and moved ahead of them. A short while later I saw Lewes AC runner Nick Williams limping off assisted by another club member, which was a little distressing. 

Hitting the flat along the river (and the two stiles) I pushed on, knowing that I find the flat stuff dull/slow, and expecting at any moment to be caught by club colleagues. The final section back was interesting as I kept being overtaken by and then overtaking one Saints and Sinners runner which may have speeded me further. And in the last section I hit a nice sprint finish. Results showed that I had come in around 2 minutes faster than I could have expected 30:30 rather than the 32:30 I'd predicted. I concluded that the twitten run had warmed me up and the mid-race lethargy I experience may in part be down to starting cold each time. 

The Highdown Hike run on Weds evening was preceded by a day-long deluge - and contrary to my expectation from looking at maps turned out to be quite hilly (though not on scale of Caburn/Kingston Ridge). The skies just cleared briefly for the 7:30pm start, and then resumed as the run set out. I'd done much more of a proper warm up - building on experience from Sunday. And as with Sunday I started stronger and found myself trailing an even speedier Lewes AC runner (who later told me he was suffering from heavy cold). 

The Hike also 6k was a mix of short and long climbs across low downland, and the rain had made chalk paths very slippy. Indeed at one point, piercing screams behind me told of a runner who had gone down and fallen badly. In this run, as with Sunday, while it was tough in the middle section, I didn't get the fading sensation or find hordes passing me. Keeping the same pace as other runners on the uphills, I used the downs to press past folks, and coming into the last km I managed to hold off two Burgess Hill runners (our main WSFRL rivals) in a sustained last 400m or so.  Again, it turned out to be very similar time and position to the Sunday - 30:22.

So I hope I can look back on these two races as something of a turning point - where my psychological fear of fading might have been overcome somewhat. The only other change I can think of (aside from psychological and better warm up) is that I have just started to do some core exercises - but that may be too recent to affect my times. 

Anyway, short break until the next on 20 August ... we shall see if this sustains.

Messages In This Thread
Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 09-08-2017, 10:45 AM
RE: Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM
RE: Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 21-08-2017, 08:21 AM
RE: Clubbed again - by Charliecat5 - 21-08-2017, 12:26 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by Sweder - 22-08-2017, 10:42 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by marathondan - 21-08-2017, 06:08 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 18-09-2017, 03:19 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by Sweder - 18-09-2017, 06:56 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by Antonio247 - 18-09-2017, 08:52 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 19-09-2017, 10:00 AM
RE: Clubbed again - by Sweder - 26-09-2017, 01:12 PM