Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clubbed again
18-09-2017, 03:19 PM,
RE: Clubbed again
So I ducked out of the Fittleworth 5 two weeks ago - not least because it was nearly an hour's drive away over the other side of West Sussex. In Fittleworth. Which sounds like it should be made up for comedic purposes. I felt bad when I discovered only 14 Lewes AC runners had made it. But such was strength of team we lost only 3 points on our nearest challengers (Burgess Hill).

But yesterday (Sun 17 Sept) was the much closer to home Tilgate 5 - organised by the Crawley Saints and Sinners. An undulating course through the forest which curves round the south side of the town.

I opted for the Twitten Run warm up - and pleased to find that Sweder was there in reset mode, determined to get back on the saddle (or rather off the saddle and back on his feet). So a not so gentle warm up was had and swift flat white at Ground, before the 30 min dash up A23 to find the start.

Parking was by the Crawley Town stadium with 10 min walk to the race HQ at the large K2 sports base by Tilgate forest.

Lewes AC out in numbers and as we made our way to the start through winding forest tracks we realised it would be v muddy underfoot after the wet weather of previous weeks.

At the start because Lewes AC head the rankings we somehow have honorary position to start from front - this seems entirely informal and unspoken but in last three races the Lewes crew have just been there with slight gap, which quickly fills up as the off approaches. I edged back a bit not wanting to by passed by the fliers from other clubs.

Shortest of welcomes from the host club director and we were off.

Starting downhill on not too wide muddy track with tree trunks fallen at various points made of quite a hairy beginning. But we all stuck to it and the field stretched out before too long.

This was again much like the Eridge course in that there seemed no particular logic to the route - and it was all through the forest so no sense of views opening up to compensate.

We shot over a bridge over A23 and then into more forest. Some tough little ups and long rises were matched by short downs and a nice central stretch where you could open up.

I had thought that I would twinge a bit after a speedy Bevendean Down Park Run the day before when I had knocked a minute off my PB for the course (wholly as a result of managing to use by happenstance a speedy ten year old (!) as a pacer). But fortunately the twittens had served their warm up purpose nicely.

Again, not much to recall about the course - except the inspiration for my pushing on this race was being caught by another Lewes AC runner and thinking well I may as well keep pace with them! It turns out she was a) hungover and b) taking it easy after speeding round the Great North Run the week before in 1:43. But it was still pleasing to have the spur of going past her on an uphill section and staying ahead to the finish.

The muddy conditions were not conducive to fastest pace - but I was pleased to have done Eridge the week before since this mud was modest by comparison.

In the final section I tried to use a Burgess Hill runner - rivals! - as a further spur but it proved too much of a stretch and his long legs (my excuse) took him well ahead of me as we reached the last mile. But my last 400m was another good finish holding off someone (no idea who).

This may (or may not) be my best performance for the club to date - can't tell until the times get published since conditions affect what the field manage to achieve so last year's times not a great guide.

But it certainly felt like one of my stronger performances where I felt satisfied I had given it my best shot.

Confident we will have secured near max points overall. Just three more races to go - trophy beckons. As CC5 wont to say - what could possibly go wrong ...

Messages In This Thread
Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 09-08-2017, 10:45 AM
RE: Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM
RE: Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 21-08-2017, 08:21 AM
RE: Clubbed again - by Charliecat5 - 21-08-2017, 12:26 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by Sweder - 22-08-2017, 10:42 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by marathondan - 21-08-2017, 06:08 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 18-09-2017, 03:19 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by Sweder - 18-09-2017, 06:56 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by Antonio247 - 18-09-2017, 08:52 PM
RE: Clubbed again - by OutAlongTheRiver - 19-09-2017, 10:00 AM
RE: Clubbed again - by Sweder - 26-09-2017, 01:12 PM