Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marathon in a day
25-08-2017, 11:57 AM,
Marathon in a day
I have a friend from previous job who switched from excellent rugby playing to serious marathon running in 2011 - with target of 52 marathons in a year, all run in under 3hrs 45. He succeeded and had many adventures along the way - including being given free flights to NY before he even had a place in the marathon and then ending up featured in their run programme.

As well as being a good guy, he campaigns on mental health issues to raise awareness of male deaths by suicide, since his father killed himself after history of depression.

He's now set up a programme called "Marathon in a Day" which is a virtual marathon that you take part in, with the proviso that you run the marathon distance in any way you wish, provided you complete the distance within a 24 hour period over the weekend of 1-3 September. Part of this is about funding and awareness raising for mental health, part is about breaking up the marathon distance so it's less daunting for newbies. I liked it when i first heard

This chimed with my thinking that our Twitten Run (up and down all 12 twittens in Lewes on Sunday morning) could be run multiple times to make up a half marathon or even a full one.

So cavalierly I have proposed this - accepted by the MiaD folks (they were actually full, since they have limit since need to verify all data submitted) - and will be doing 9 Twitten Runs over the Saturday afternoon (from 1pm) and Sunday morning (finishing before 1pm).

I'll start and finish each run from Ground Coffee/The Lansdown Arms - so that the distance is just short of 5km (it needs to be 4.7km to divide into 9 runs). And run every 90 mins from 1pm on Sat (to total of 5 runs) and from 7.30am on Sun (to total of 4).

Folks are joining me on one or more of the loops - so my partner Paula is up for some, speedy but injury prone Nick Williams, Baz the Haff (whom we shepherded round the Downland 5 last year and CC5 wrote up), Rick Curtis who can run forever and runs Ground Coffee. Plus the usual folks, since number 7 will coincide with the usual 9am Sunday run.

Jokingly with Tom Roper (Moyleman Chief Marsall) I had suggested a swim in Pells between each - but that was really in jest ... but plunge at end of 9th run on Sunday will be nice to look forward to.

With the amount of climb involved, I'm wondering just how much it will add up to ... actually just calculated it as 1350m ... based on around 150m per loop.

So. Will report back here on how it's gone. Pip pip!
27-08-2017, 09:27 AM,
RE: Marathon in a day
Best of luck, OATR! It must be an interesting experience to run the marathon distance in several runs in 24 hours. Besides, the cause is very good.

I'll try to go for a run on Saturday after 1 pm and on Sunday before pm although I don't think I'll be able to do more than 15 km in all. I don't train much in summer because of the heat and humidity here.

Saludos desde Almería

27-08-2017, 09:53 AM,
Thanks Antonio! Thankfully UK never really gets too hot for an outing - except on rare occasions.
04-09-2017, 12:35 PM,
Photo  RE: Marathon in a day
Nine Twitten Runs done. I might just leave the write up at that ... but actually deserves more. Legs this morning felt OK, except when I tried going upstairs.

The Twittens loop (up and down 12 hilly alleyways in Lewes) involves around 420 feet of climb. So nine lots is akin to a run up Snowden plus some more. The "marathon in a day" idea is to complete the distance in whatever way you wish over 24 hours on this weekend. A friend had come up with this idea as a way to raise awareness about mental health issues and to help people for whom a marathon all in one go might be too much. With other Twitten runners I had often talked about doing a Twitten half - so this seemed too good an opportunity to pass up.

I set times from 1pm Saturday onwards - for five runs through to 8pm. And then four more on the Sunday morning from 7.30am, with the last to start at noon. I reckoned each would take 35-40 mins - following the Twitten rules of run up, jog down and walk in between. Helpfully others said they would accompany me on some of the runs - though I expected to do some solo.

The first at 1pm saw Duncan (CC5) and Nick Williams and my partner Paula enthusiastically starting off at good pace - and unsurprisingly this was the quickest of the nine at just over 35 mins. I was feeling quite bouncy and as we had finished post loop coffee by 2pm, I posited that 90 min intervals might be too long. But 2.30pm came and we launched off again minus Nick, but with same enthusiasm.

Running Saturday pm introduced new challenges since the High Street at the top of the Twittens was now overrun with shoppers, tourists and the occasional wedding party, hazards usually entirely absent on a Sunday morning. But that one also put to bed in just under 36 mins.

Our 4pm run was due to see Tom Roper - Moyleman Chief of Marshals - join us since his usual parkrun plans had gone awry earlier. We used the gap to take in a Lewes Artwave show and rehydrate at Ground Coffee once more. This would turn out to be the slowest of the set at just over 42 mins - since Tom by his own admission is not a hill sprinter. Duncan (completing his third) and I were very thankful.

Another photo done at the bottom of Keere Street (midway point on the run) as is tradition and one-third of the run done. Each pic was posted on twitter as the run was completed - and the @marathoninaday was busy retweeting this and others' runs, so there was a great feeling of togetherness across the country.

False confidence instilled, there was now a longer break until 6:30pm - created inadvertently in my planning by my failure to be able to count reliably in 90 min intervals. This enabled a dip in the Pells outdoor pool - with the cool spring water providing welcome relief to muscles. Some food and water back home, a bit of foam rolling on calves and quads, and we were ready for number 4.

Experienced Twitten runner and always speediest up Keere Street, David Stacey would be along for this after his own Artwave exhibition. Paula switching in for her third. As we headed up the first - Broomans Lane - a person ahead started heckling (pubs out early we thought) but it turned out to be another Moyleman/Twitten Runner Brian Courage along for the run.

Keeping to a steady pace we clocked 38 mins and adjourned to the Lansdown Arms for a pint. This pint (local brewery Longman and their delicious APA) turned out to be a psychologically and physically wise relaxation approach. Three sweaty runners did occasion crowd interest as we explained to various groups of drinkers what we were doing.

By 7:40 we were ready to push on - and throwing out the scheduled 8pm we cracked on with the fifth of the day. My recollection of this now is a bit hazy, but the stats tell me we took only 15s more than for the 6:30pm trot. Homewards with thanks to all runners - for pasta and a glass of wine. The first in the morning had been pushed back to 8am to avoid standing round in the cold between runs.

And 8am swung around - with legs slightly sore but much less than I feared. Duncan was back for more - as was Brian, this time with his daughter Edie. This one was another 36 min effort with cool morning conditions. Ground Coffee was just opening up - and a quick espresso then it was 9am and time for the official Twitten run for the weekend.

David Stacey returned and this would also mean Duncan completing a half marathon of Twittens with his fifth of the weekend (half being bottom of Keere Street). And suddenly there was James McCauley - who has done almost as many Twitten Runs as anyone and is the eponymous creator of the McCauley Stretch at the bottom of Keere Street.

And this seventh run was where the wheels began to fall off for me. All the pics half way round show smiling faces - and that's a good thing since it's because the second half, kicking off with steep and long Keere Street is arguably the harder direction. The third and fourth runs had involved a little calf strain - but I had always felt strong on the ups. This time, as I toiled up the third or fourth uphill my legs felt dead and energy levels at zero. My last two uphills are usually my best, but they were unyielding - and only the kindness of others not wanting to pass me meant I didn't trail in dead last I think.

We made it back to the usual Ground Coffee finish point in just under 40 mins. Paula tells me as she arrived to support for the 10.30 run, I looked dead beat. Indeed the pic taken here on this blog is taken by Rick Curtis - owner of Ground and excellent distance runner himself (top 10 Moyleman finisher) - shows me firmly seated albeit with smile on my face.

We walked the short trip into the centre of Lewes to stretch legs and buy some stationery item which was needed (unrelated to the run) - and then  decided to kick off early before legs seized up.
This one - the eight of nine - was tough, but with just two of us there was no hanging around. We plodded on and this time we were just over 40 mins. This for Paula was now her own half marathon done.

But I could see the last run reaching 45+ if this 8th was anything to go by. A quick trip home for more foam rolling/massage - and I was now very thankful of the 90 minute gaps between runs. 

Noon arrived and Mary-Louise, who sadly didn't have spare time to run, popped up from her house opposite Ground and did an impromptu video interview of me on twitter as we ran up the first twitten.  James McCauley had snapped me too, so with this boost of the last run we pressed on.

As we breached the top of Keere Street for the last time and my legs didn't completely give up, I realised I would now indeed complete the run within 24 hours. And it was quite a thing to have done.

Duncan (CC5) magically reappeared outside Ground Coffee on the final stretch and we three ran the last four twittens together. For me this was as much about camaraderie, support and the mad enthusiasm of running this odd set of lanes in Lewes as it was completing the marathon distance.

I may well have forgotten lots of things that happened, but that's my best recollection now 24 hours on from the 24 hours that were my Twitten Run Marathon in a Day. Thanks to all and every one in person and online on twitter (especially Sweder who was work bound in Singapore) who supported this venture. Let us never speak of it again.

Now, about the 2018 Twitten Run Marathon in a Day plans ...
04-09-2017, 02:15 PM,
Simply wonderful. Bravo, mon Brav

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-09-2017, 02:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2017, 02:56 PM by Charliecat5.)
Not wishing to diminish the cause, but there is a certain irony that this run was at its heart, about raising the awareness of mental health issues.  You had to be… etc.

This was a mighty fine effort by OALR.  For those who haven’t experienced the Twittens, you won’t appreciate the challenge they present.   This is hard and steep running on unrelenting paved surfaces (and cobbles).  The downhills are as tough as the ups, as each step rattles through the body.  

On the Sunday morning Twitten runs I have always counted each of the twelve in turn, ticking each one off, praying silently for it to be over and the coffee to be poured.  Setting off to do in my case, five in a row has changed my view of the Twittens forever.  I no longer see twelve tortuous lanes, but rather I look up each now as a small blip on the way to the achievement of a longer journey.  You have to when you have 64 of the bastards to overcome.  In Rob’s case, 108! 

My point, to finally get to it, is that to run nine Twittens, a Twittenthon, 26 miles, is an achievement worthy of telling and admiring on these esteemed pages.  The man is a fool, but great things are achieved by fools.  Just read some of BBG’s rambles if you don’t believe me.
There is more to be done
04-09-2017, 03:23 PM,
Agreed. A massive Chapeau to everybody involved.

Any endeavour involving cobbles is a draining experience; so to do this kind of distance takes much mettle and resolve.

And for a great cause.

Maybe Sussex is the new Belgium?
04-09-2017, 08:23 PM,
Congratulations to OATR and all the people involved in that great deed for a wonderfrul cause.

I couldn't go for a run on Saturday but I went on Sunday at 9 am. I did just 6 K but I sweated a lot and this morning at 7:30 am I did another 6 K sweating a lot too. I did both runs at a 7´45´´ pace but I'm glad because It was hard since I'm not used to going for a run in two consecutive days. Besides, it's still quite hot here. I'd like to be able to do a marathon in 24 hours in a few months' time and I have to do the Moyleman marathon in March next year.

Saludos desde Almería.

04-09-2017, 08:57 PM,
Superb job OATR, well done. You have created something special here and completing it is a tremendous feat. Don't envy you those downhills on the cobbles at all. As you allude, it could become an annual fixture. It's certainly an attractive and slightly off-the-wall concept.
05-09-2017, 03:00 AM,
(04-09-2017, 08:57 PM)marathondan Wrote: As you allude, it could become an annual fixture. 

No, no no no no no. No.
I'm only enthusing about this because I'm overseas and could take no active part in the madness.
The thought that I might be around for future chapters fills me with fear and loathing.

Fear and loathing on the Twitten trails. 
This triggers crazy thoughts of a potential Lewes Ironman; Pells Pool laps, cycle circuits and endless bloody Twittens.
Holy hell.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-09-2017, 09:05 AM,
Lewes Ironman ... 9 Twitten Run loops ... 82 lengths of the Pells ... cycle to Tunbridge Wells and back?
06-09-2017, 08:35 AM,
Well done, OATR. Great feet. Er, feat.

So is the Twittens run something that the RC Lewes running set came up with in modern times, or does it have a long history stretching back to 1066 when it was devised by Harold's defending forces as a training aid?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-09-2017, 03:06 PM,
I've google searched and cannot see "twitten running" as a thing before we started doing it. Clearly Lewes AC have run them as part of training from time to time - since that is where CC5 got the idea in the first place. But it doesn't have any sort of esteemed history, as far as I can seen. So a made up history may be ripe for invention ...
06-09-2017, 03:11 PM,
(06-09-2017, 03:06 PM)OutAlongTheRiver Wrote: I've google searched and cannot see "twitten running" as a thing before we started doing it. Clearly Lewes AC have run them as part of training from time to time - since that is where CC5 got the idea in the first place. But it doesn't have any sort of esteemed history, as far as I can seen. So a made up history may be ripe for invention ...

Now let's get one thing clear... I suggested that we might like to run the Twittens one Sunday morning, as an interesting thing to do.  I did not suggest that we should run them every Sunday morning, nor did I ever in a month of Sunday's suggest we should run them multiple times over the same weekend.  Those sorts of suggestions are the work of a madman.
There is more to be done
09-09-2017, 10:28 AM,
A massive well done to Rob for completing his marathon in a day madness. A stunning feat of endurance to run the Twittens 9 times in a weekend ... I've been mostly contemplating it with slack jawed amazement.

Hurrah! Well done that man, and all those who ran with & supported Smile

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

09-09-2017, 06:06 PM,
Wonderful, OATR, simply wonderful!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Half a Marathon onward ... OutAlongTheRiver 13 2,942 18-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Last Post: marathondan