Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September
01-09-2017, 09:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 09:47 AM by glaconman.)
September
Not much happened in August on the running front.

One tangential activity occurred on Tuesday. I'd taken the day off months ago with the intention of running the Kilnsey Show race. Not my cuppa really. A short dash up the crag with lots of limestone scree. But it's a famous race so I felt I ought to try it.

But instead I had a ride around Upper Wharfedale and called in to the show field on my way home to watch the fell races.

Quite a nice way to spend an hour. Sat on a hay bale watching other people bust-a-gut. Then spinning home with a big tail wind. Maybe this is the way to go in future.
01-09-2017, 09:33 AM,
RE: September
Kilnsey Show Pictures
04-09-2017, 11:47 AM,
Bradley Show Fell Race. Sunday 3rd September.

This had the feel of a comeback race having not pinned a number to my chest since Oxenhope in mid-July. I think I've run four times over that period. All at lunchtime from the office. So I wasn't expecting much.

But the cycling must have done me some good. Abit of weight loss. Abit of leg strength. Some aerobic conditioning in the mountains. They're happy bedfellows at the moment.

I had a good tussle with two of my best, friendly rivals who I wasn't expecting to trouble. The lack of races told in the end as they drifted away as we approached the finish field. I've run this race faster; I've run this race slower.

So a good, 3.8 mile blast of doubt, adrenelin, fatigue and, eventually, well-being. I've missed it. But the break has no doubt done me some good. I haven't missed waking up in the morning feeling like I've been run over by a bus. Followed by the slow, creaky shuffle to the bathroom.

Bradley Show
06-09-2017, 11:36 AM,
I was ruminating this morning about how my running has changed over the last decade. It used to revolve around big challenges that I was doing for the first time. Interspersed with periods of white-space.

But it now seems to have settled into a routine of regular training thoughout the year whilst doing the same races over and over.

Maybe, as the saying goes, this is what success looks like. The ability to maintain fitness knowing that you can reach-up and execute the same tests at a similar standard.

And I would imagine that if you're struggling with injury, or circumstance, then reading about somebody who can do that, and who has a matter-of-fact style of communication, could be quite ... trying. Although getting upto any kind of cruising speed, and staying there, represents alot of effort when you add it all up.

I like the fact that races mark the passage of time and offer waymarkers on route to my first knee replacement. Whenever that may be.

But perhaps there is scope for something different. Something outside the routine. Should I be contemplating the 'm' word? It does, after all, seem to be the beating heart of this small community.

Anyway, Ilkley Incline tonight. Again. A steep mile. Around 9 minutes of rummaging around in the deepest recesses of my heart and lungs.
07-09-2017, 09:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017, 09:51 AM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(06-09-2017, 11:36 AM)glaconman Wrote: I was ruminating this morning about how my running has changed over the last decade. It used to revolve around big challenges that I was doing for the first time. Interspersed with periods of white-space.

But it now seems to have settled into a routine of regular training thoughout the year whilst doing the same races over and over.

Maybe, as the saying goes, this is what success looks like. The ability to maintain fitness knowing that you can reach-up and execute the same tests at a similar standard.

And I would imagine that if you're struggling with injury, or circumstance, then reading about somebody who can do that, and who has a matter-of-fact style of communication, could be quite ... trying. Although getting upto any kind of cruising speed, and staying there, represents alot of effort when you add it all up.

I like the fact that races mark the passage of time and offer waymarkers on route to my first knee replacement. Whenever that may be.

But perhaps there is scope for something different. Something outside the routine. Should I be contemplating the 'm' word? It does, after all, seem to be the beating heart of this small community.

Anyway, Ilkley Incline tonight. Again. A steep mile. Around 9 minutes of rummaging around in the deepest recesses of my heart and lungs.

Hey ho, no need to analyse things too much. When you write here it's a unique insight into the English fell running scene, its races and its community. I love the photos too and thoroughly enjoy reading every little write-up regardless of whether you run, walk or fly. The fact that you are clearly a very good runner is a bonus for us all!!  Big Grin   Keep it up as long as you can!

Even Kilian Jornet now recognizes northern England as the spiritual home of modern day mountain running. I know for a fact that he has been planning a discreet, respectful Bob Graham attempt for this Autumn (possibly with the help of a top UK fell runner) which may or may not lower Billy Bland's "unbeatable" record. It will dependon a lot of different factors but it may well happen in the next few weeks. Exciting times.

And pardon me for being thick but what is the "m" word?
07-09-2017, 12:12 PM,
Good Lord, I would never describe myself as a very good runner. I'm reminded of that most weekends. I'm middle-of-the-pack through and through. Although at 50 next year I might occassionally be good-for-age.

The point I was making is that I seem to be a very consistent runner; having not had a serious injury for a long time. So there's very little jeopardy or struggle. Which is boring and annoying. Even for me Wink .

I'm glad KJ recognises the place of Northern England in the grand scheme of things. I can't imagine a more involved and rich running culture. Even the 3 valleys around me (Calder, Aire, Wharfe) are a hive of activity. I'm sounding like a broken record now.

I think BGR types are bracing themselves for his Round. The 'style' of it should be important. It seems to be that with 2 helpers on each leg (one for nav, one as a mule) the spirit of the thing has faded drastically. Personally, it's not really my cuppa. I'd rather see people run hard for an hour or two. But I think KJ is conscious of style so will do it in the right spirit.

The 'm' word refers to Marathon. I did one 10 years ago. I was wondering if I ought to do another. The 3 Peaks is a similar challenge but also seems very different.

With no jeopardy, I'm reduced to analysing this kind of thing BB. Do you want a race report?

It was the Ilkley Incline last night. The first quarter of the mile is shockingly steep (like last night's final climb in the Vuelta!). But I managed to let the tide go out then pulled a good amount of it back in over that last half mile. Perhaps I'm learning finally. Sitting on Ilkley Moor at the finish amongst the heather, bracken and other runners felt serene.

They used to give out vegetables at the prize giving but they've stopped that now; so I didn't hang around. I celebrated with pork pie and mushy peas at home and the last bottle of rouge from the holiday. Not bad for a Wednesday night!

Save
Save
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]
08-09-2017, 11:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 11:17 AM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(07-09-2017, 12:12 PM)glaconman Wrote: The 'm' word refers to Marathon. I did one 10 years ago. I was wondering if I ought to do another. 

Duhh, thanks for clearing that up Gman.
Hope you don't mind me posting the link to your Bombay marathon again, no ordinary marathon and a Runningcommentary race report classic... 

http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/s...50#pid6250
08-09-2017, 12:16 PM,
(08-09-2017, 11:11 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:
(07-09-2017, 12:12 PM)glaconman Wrote: The 'm' word refers to Marathon. I did one 10 years ago. I was wondering if I ought to do another. 

Duhh, thanks for clearing that up Gman.
Hope you don't mind me posting the link to your Bombay marathon again, no ordinary marathon and a Runningcommentary race report classic... 

http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/s...50#pid6250

What a wonderful, wonderful report.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
There is more to be done
08-09-2017, 12:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-09-2017, 12:15 AM by Sweder.)
(07-09-2017, 09:50 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Even Kilian Jornet now recognizes northern England as the spiritual home of modern day mountain running. I know for a fact that he has been planning a discreet, respectful Bob Graham attempt for this Autumn (possibly with the help of a top UK fell runner) which may or may not lower Billy Bland's "unbeatable" record. 

Ah yes, the Moyleman's very own (record holder) Mike Ellicock completed a BGR this year.
I don't have the stats to hand, but I heard he was 'comfortably' within the 24 hours, possibly well within 20 hours.
Bugger, I'll have to look it up now ..

Nope, can't find it. Mike's an interesting fellow. He served in the Parachute Regiment in Sierra Leone and was blown up during a hostage rescue mission.
His body armour saved him before he came home, rehabilitated and started breaking records, including the record for a full marathon carrying a 40lb pack 

At 2'59"46 (2014) he is the only person to have completed a Moyleman in under three hours.
Here are recorded his stats to/ including 2016

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-09-2017, 04:29 PM,
Thanks for reposting that BB. I must admit to rolling my eyes alittle when I saw it. But then it was really interesting, and quite moving, to re-read.

My Mother-in-law passed away this summer and it took me back to when we spent alot of time with her on her farm in central India. I used to run around the villages with a rock in my hand to deter packs of street dogs. Until the sightings of Tigers and Leopards from the nearby Tadoba reserve became more frequent and I stopped running there altogether.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it CC. They were exciting days. And I suppose that's partly what I was eluding to. I was biting off more than I could chew back then.

Mike sounds like the kind of chap who would do the BGR in some style. Minimal fuss and alot of modesty. And a sub-3 Moyleman is probably just as hard in terms af training.
10-09-2017, 09:35 PM,
That is indeed a classic report, GM. It almost seems worth running another marathon just so you can write the sequel.

If only someone around here could recommend a tough, hilly, small-numbers trail marathon in, say, 6 months or so from now...
11-09-2017, 07:58 AM,
(06-09-2017, 11:36 AM)glaconman Wrote: I was ruminating this morning about how my running has changed over the last decade. It used to revolve around big challenges that I was doing for the first time. Interspersed with periods of white-space.

I'm always interested to hear about how other people think about running and how that changes ... (well I'm mostly nosey about how people think about anything like that, not just running).

I've never been a spectacular runner and I've always pushed to meet a specific goal without settling into any long term training pattern. Usually to run a short race or to lose weight and then I tail off once I've achieved the goal. I'd love to get into a consistent routine of getting outside and doing something (walking, running , cycling etc).

That said, I love the rush of working towards something bigger / something that really pushes me ...

... Take the National Express when your life's in a mess / It'll make you smile ...

12-09-2017, 11:34 AM,
TK: Yes, there's a definite balance to be made between a Business As Usual fitness and setting big and interesting goals.

I tend to pendulum between the two. Which is something I should look to fine-tune.

Dan: I know, right? It's not as if anybody around here has gone to the trouble of organising the perfect race and all we have to do is turn up and enjoy it!

I do feel abit .... ungracious when it comes to the Moyleman, it has to be said, by not prioritising it. I guess the problem has been getting into full swing before May/June. If I can get through some XC running this Winter, then .... Actually all I need to do is commit. Something I'm not great at.
27-09-2017, 02:29 PM,
Pace judgement.

A few months ago I mentioned a runner who finished just behind me at an uphill race. It was only when I looked at the pictures afterwards that I realised how far she'd hung back during the first half of the race and how strongly she'd finished.

When I was a kid we used to visit my Grandparents in Kent. One indelible memory is the quality of potatoes they enjoyed. Always huge, new potatoes in flaky skins and perfectly cooked. Served with butter and mint. Delicious.

When I tried to cook my own version, years later, I would bring them to the boil quickly and cook them at a high temperature. The outside would start to crumble before the middle was properly cooked. It took years for me to realise that they needed to be brought to the boil slowly and then simmered gently.

And so it is with pacing. Particularly as you get older. I was gasping for breadth one third of the way up Great Whernside. I then proceeded to boil-over until landing at the top in a heap of soft broken peices.

Another example is the 3 Peaks fell race. Old hands at this race will tell you that the race begins at the top of Whernside, the second peak. If you've not burnt all your matches by then you can start to plan the second half of the race and hoover-up runners who weren't as smart as you. You can feed off other people's bad judgement.

During the hands-and-toes ascent of Whernside another legendary runner came alongside me.

'We're never happy are we?', she said. 'No matter how fit we get, we always think there's room for improvement.' And off she clambered. Beating me to the top before, no doubt, surging through a decent proportion of the field.

Good pace judgement. And a willingness to engage with other people whilst you're at it. The secret to a long and happy running life? Is it a coincidence they're both women? I think not.

And so back to The Ethiad for the Northern Road Relays this year. Gathering together to test ourselves over 6 legs of 4.2 miles. It was a good turn-out. 130 teams in the Senior Men's race. The parcour was a track, flagged-walkways and tarmac carparks. Not overly inspiring; but that's missing the point somewhat.

Our team were a hotch-potch of runners just about able to hold our heads above the rushing current of sub-5-minute-mile gazelles.

There was little at stake personally. Just the desire to push hard and at an even pace. But after our Leg 4 runner appeared on the track I turned towards the start line and saw another runner. My standard, but recently defected from us and now wearing the colours of a neighbouring club.

And so the inevitable companion to judgement makes it's entrance at the last possible second: emotion. Fear, pride, jeopardy, pressure, ambition. I had a 100 meter lead. But this guy had often beaten me and was a master at wringing the last drop of effort from a run. He could run a mile at whatever pace you suggested down to the second. Decades of experience.

Our brains, left to their own devices, seem to be pretty good at estimating pace. We make the calculation without conscious effort. And if you believe Tim Noakes (and why wouldn't you?) then these calcultions are on the conservative side. We can override them. But context is everything. Emotion will muscle-in and scupper your best plans.

The first thing is to recognise what's going on then try and resist it. Rarely have I concentrated so intensely on a short effort like this. Constantly asking the same questions: can I push harder? will I be able to sustain this to the line? The run had been given much more meaning; and was better for it. He took about 10 seconds out of me. But it wasn't enough to overhaul our lead.

So there we are. My observations about pace judgement.

Study the art of boiling potatoes.
    Wherever you're at, enjoy your fitness by running at a realistic pace.
    Push hard but don't let emotion ruin your plan.

Race choices.

There were a couple of options at the weekend. At the sharp-end of fell running the English Championship was being decided in Kettlewell up-and-down the aforementioned Great Whernside. Hundreds of the country's best hill runners would be gathering in Upper Wharfdale.

But I chose a local race in the small village of Glusburn a few miles down the road. The Fallfest 5. Upto and around a couple of pinnacles known locally as the Salt and Pepper Pots. 44 runners turned up to test themselves. And you could be forgiven for thinking that we were all missing-out on the real drama happening a mere 20 miles north.

And perhaps we were. But as I sat on-the-pot, pre-race at the Glusburn Institute, listening to the choir warming-up in the room next door, I certainly didn't think so.

The choir then proceeded to serenade the runners before we set-off. There was a drumming band to greet us on the finish line. Beer in the goodie bag. Wine for the prize-winners. A beer and gin festival at the race HQ. And a tea and cake stall any WI chapter would be proud of.

In retrospect, one of my better choices.
27-09-2017, 07:41 PM,
Excellent piece, GM, a great read.

Is that what they mean by chip timing?
29-09-2017, 03:02 AM,
I was going to say "a chip off the old (grandparents) block", but perhaps I won't. Oops, too late.

Nice work, G'man, and isn't it interesting how, as the core of the RC community is becoming of a certain age, our perspectives are changing, sometimes quite rapidly?

I love it. I may not like the obvious mortality that's rammed home day-after-day, injury-after-injury, but I do love the way we encourage each other to keep going, and in knowing that we can keep going, so long as we acknowledge what needs changing in terms of our training and racing.

Fantastic writing, thanks.
Run. Just run.
04-10-2017, 01:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017, 01:07 AM by glaconman.)
Thanks for the kind words chaps.

I think you're right, perspectives change. And for the better in my case. I still love the competitive aspect of training and racing. But I appreciate the soft-edges more these days. In particular the cameraderie, the ritual and the spectacle of a race.

Autumn is well and truly here now. And it's my favorite time of the year in many ways. We were up in Kielder Water at the weekend, near the Scottish border, to try out some of the mountain bike tracks up there. Mrs G has a new MTB and I'm trying to encourage more off-road riding as a family. We're surrounded by some great trails in the South Pennines and The Dales.

I'd certainly recommend what's been developed up in Northumberland. Some wonderful routes through the woodland and up onto the moors.

What I'm really looking forward to now is the Cross Country season. There will be four league races plus the option of Yorshires, Northerns and Nationals. Plus relays. It's not everybody's cuppa-tea. But if you're reasonably fit they are the perfect platform for developing strength endurance, pacing and mental resilience (when you get the pacing wrong).

We have a fine tradition of this kind of running in Britian and long may it continue. If you're thinking of giving it a go here's a few articles to whet your appetite.

Proper Running
Not fad or fashion
Hunger Games
16-11-2017, 12:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 16-11-2017, 01:13 AM by El Gordo.)
I should visit the forum more often. Just as I had to shamefacedly congratulate @marathondan on his fine marathon performance, long after the event, I now have to say a very belated "thanks" to GM for a lovely piece of writing about... eh? Boiling potatoes and distance running? Ah, but it all makes sense, of course. Thanks.

As the great GM knows only too well, I was up in his glorious county just a couple of weeks ago, and managed to wangle two audiences with the legend himself. Against his better judgment, I persuaded him to neck a few pints of the unsurpassable Timothy Taylor's on a Friday night, just hours before he had to take part in an important cross-country event on the Saturday morning. But the sacrifice proved worthwhile. 

When I called in to see GM again, on the Sunday morning, demanding limitless toast and the finest tea known to humanity, not just for me but for my wife and 91-year old mother in law, he stoically complied, and proudly revealed that he'd turned in a PB the previous day -- or at least a stupidly fast time for his 5K leg. 

As a lifelong student and guinea pig in this field -- one sometimes pursuing the other -- my objective view is that this is now an unchallengeable testimonial to the powers of the superb Keighley brew. Take a bow -- both GM and Tim Taylor.

Get that beer on NHS prescription, I say.

Cheers, mate.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-11-2017, 01:35 PM,
Andy, it was an absolute privilege to go out for a couple of pots with you on the Friday and provide some brekky for the 3 of you on Sunday. I've missed your unique perspective on the world and the universe that I used to take for granted when you lived in Yorkshire.

I'd be happy for you to move back, by the way. I'm sure we could find you a gentile village in the Dales in striking distance of Airedale. Failing that I'll just have to wait for Lewes in March.

Funnily enough I took my cousin (who lives in Brighton) down to The Brown Cow last week and they were serving Harveys as a guest. Needless to say I had a pint.

My adoration of Cross Country has continued. Spenborough on Sunday was the latest chapter. The National Relays in Nottinghamshire, the day after the night before, was, as you mention, a highlight. And the season has plenty yet to offer.

I should cobble a post together really. My main targets (excluding XC) are the Ribble Valley 10k on New Year's Eve. Then the Moyleman and 3 Peaks around Easter. But, as you know, lots can happen between now and then.
21-11-2017, 07:55 AM,
(20-11-2017, 01:35 PM)glaconman Wrote: Andy, it was an absolute privilege to go out for a couple of pots with you on the Friday and provide some brekky for the 3 of you on Sunday. I've missed your unique perspective on the world and the universe that I used to take for granted when you lived in Yorkshire.

I'd be happy for you to move back, by the way. I'm sure we could find you a gentile village in the Dales in striking distance of Airedale. Failing that I'll just have to wait for Lewes in March.

Funnily enough I took my cousin (who lives in Brighton) down to The Brown Cow last week and they were serving Harveys as a guest. Needless to say I had a pint.

My adoration of Cross Country has continued. Spenborough on Sunday was the latest chapter. The National Relays in Nottinghamshire, the day after the night before, was, as you mention, a highlight. And the season has plenty yet to offer.

I should cobble a post together really. My main targets (excluding XC) are the Ribble Valley 10k on New Year's Eve. Then the Moyleman and 3 Peaks around Easter. But, as you know, lots can happen between now and then.

Have you entered the Moyleman?  Entries are going like the last barrel of Harveys in the last pub on the last day on earth.  I.e. quickly.
There is more to be done

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  September 2016 glaconman 1 1,414 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  September 2015 glaconman 1 1,726 26-09-2015, 12:59 AM
  September glaconman 0 1,743 14-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  September glaconman 7 3,793 28-09-2009, 12:32 AM