Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Lewes FC Women 2017-18
24-09-2017, 10:07 PM,
Lewes FC Women 2017-18
Match reports pending posting parked here

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-09-2017, 10:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-09-2017, 11:32 PM by Sweder.)
RE: Lewes FC Women 2017-18
Chichester City LFC 1 Lewes FC Women 2
Lewes Take Maximum Points From Four Tough Games

When the FA WPL computer punched out this run of fixtures, Lewes manager John Donoghue must have wondered who he’d upset.  Three big home matches – Coventry United, Portsmouth and Crystal Palace – that last season yielded a sum total of one point for the Rookettes, followed by a visit to Chichester City.
Tonight Lewes sit second in the FA WPL South, having claimed twelve points from those four matches and conceded only once.
City came up last season, a team built on unity, team spirit and no shortage of skill. Play-maker and former Lewes dynamo Cherelle Khassal and former Pompey couple Sadie (keeper) and Charley (striker) Wilson-Blakely led the team on a romp to the title. All three have been instrumental in City’s excellent start in this division, and all three played a part in today’s excellent contest.
Lewes arrived without the services of Sarah Kempson, injured in the tough midweek win over Crystal Palace. Leah Samain, with three back-to-back clean sheets to her name, retained the gloves, Vicky Carleton, back from International duty with Northern Ireland, returning to midfield. Avilla Bergin joined the prolific Rebecca Carter up front, with Amy Taylor on the bench.
It was the hosts who started well, tearing out of the blocks and into their opponents with a vigour that might have displeased some officials, Carleton fouled four times in the first fifteen minutes, the last of those leaving her prone, off the pitch, in need of lengthy treatment.
Khassal tested Samain from range on nine minutes, her effort landing on the roof of the Lewes goal. Bergin and Carter also took knocks as Chichester asserted their physical presence, Kerrie Ryan in particular getting in amongst the action. The home tactics worked and City started to dominate. Khassal was brilliantly denied twice in short order by the superb Samain. First, the City forward broke clear to get her fierce low shot away. Samain dived, palmed the ball to her left. Khassal reacted first and despite Thompson’s close attendance managed to set up Fowlie for a follow-up strike that Samain, barely recovered, somehow managed to smother.
There was nothing she could do, however, about Chloe Tucker’s superb free kick two minutes later. Charley Wilson-Blakely, on a trade-mark burst through the centre, was blocked off. Tucker stepped up to fire her free kick into the top corner. 1-0.
Chichester continued to press, Ingram heading well wide from a corner before Tammy Waine picked up a nasty-looking injury in a fair but firm challenge. The break in play gave the Lewes bench a chance to reorganise. In truth, the rigours of the past week, tough encounters with Portsmouth and Palace, seemed to have taken a toll on the Lewes players. They seemed off the pace and unable to impose themselves, rattled by Chichester’s bold approach and unable to find a response.
That changed as the half wore on. Led by Katie McIntyre and Kelly Newton, the Lewes midfield started to get a grip on the game. First, they contained City’s breaks. Then, like an arm-wrestler turning the tide, they started to apply pressure. A series of McIntyre corners put the home side under sustained pressure. Bergin, out on the left, cut inside, passed to Carter who, back to goal, found McIntyre. Time stood still as the Lewes 4 picked her way through the Chichester defence, rounded Wilson-Blakely and calmly side-footed into an empty net. 1-1.
Leeta Rutherford won possession after the restart, picking out Carlton who fired straight at Sadie Wilson Blakely. Chichester countered, the excellent Lauren Cheshire finding Charley Wilson-Blakely who saw her header rebound of the upright.
The game opened up. Avilla Bergin enjoyed a sweet one-two with Lane. She raced in on goal, Sadie Wilson-Blakely colliding with her in what looked like a foul challenge, only for the assistant’s flag to raise for offside. Waine recovered from her injury in time to thwart Jenna Fowlie after a terrific high take and turn.
Waine was beaten a minute later, though, and booked for tugging back Wilson-Blakely. Lewes fans held their collective breath as Tucker stepped up once more. Her aim was true but this time Samain was ready, tipping the ball onto the cross bar. Ryan followed up to blast her shot high and wide. HT 1-1.
Rachel Palmer replaced the injured Waine after the break, as Dani Lane switched flanks to the right. A series of Lewes corners were well defended by Chichester, but the home side were definitely finding life harder since the break.
On 53 minutes Lewes took the lead, and it was a familiar story for Lewes supporters. Dani lane, back on the left once more, tore past two home defenders before cutting her cross back into the centre. Rebecca Carter, anticipating the run, broke away from Cheshire to side-foot home from six yards. 1-2.
From that point on Lewes controlled the game. Chichester sat deeper as Lewes replaced Carleton with Claire Johnson and, later, Carter with Amy Taylor. Chichester countered, bringing on Jade Widdows for Gemma Simmonds. Newton anchored the away side, controlling midfield, breaking up play and setting Bergin and Lane free, aided and abetted by Rutherford and the tireless McIntyre.
City did fashion chances.  Khassal tumbled in the area under a challenge from Darcey James, the referee quick to admonish the forward and also her captain after apparent dissent. Undeterred, Khassal fashioned another chanced when her break and cross led to a booking for Newton as she caught her opponent late.
Tucker – who else? – ‘s free kick wasn’t as well struck as the others, yet it almost brought her side level. The ball dipped early, bouncing in front of Samain who parried. As the Chichester forwards closed in, Samain, apparently unable to move, somehow managed to block the follow-up. FT 1-2
I spoke to the Lewes players, and the manager, after the game.
Lewes MvP Leah Samain, on that last save:
“She (the attacker) stood on my foot (after the initial save) so I couldn’t move towards the ball. I just tried to get something on it, luckily I made the block.”
Dani Lane, on yet another vital contribution:
“I enjoyed the game but I’d hoped to get forward a bit more. I’ve struggled with a cold all weekend so I had to choose when to go. Luckily I timed that one right and Chewy (Carter) read the run.”
Skipper Kelly Newton on the change after the break:
“I felt we took a grip of the game after half-time, we had a lot more control in the second half. We’ve had a tough run of games so it’s good to come through with 12 points out of 12”.
Manager John Donoghue:
“(Chichester) will have felt they could have scored more in the first half. I thought we showed the effects of this week early on. Dani’s quite effective now on the wings. It’s good to see that belief is there to get forward.”
On Tammy Waine’s injury; “Tammy’s gone down to get that checked out. I think that’s also a consequence of playing three tough games in a week. We’ve had four tough games against very good sides. It’s good come through that, and to get some momentum going.”
Lewes host West Ham United LFC at the Dripping Pan next Sunday, 1st October
Kick off 2pm

Sadie Wilson-Blakely repels a Lewes attack

Leah Samain tips onto the crossbar

Pics: John Holden (kind permission of Chichester City/ John Holden)


The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-10-2017, 02:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2017, 02:36 PM by Sweder.)
RE: Lewes FC Women 2017-18
Lewes 3 West Ham 0

Lewes battle Hammers and Conditions To Seal 6th Win on the Spin

Goals from Leeta Rutherford, Katie McIntyre and Rebecca Carter sealed a comfortable win for Lewes in the FA Women’s Premier League. The three points sees Lewes clear in second place after leaders Charlton also won, away to Cardiff.

John Donoghue rang the changes for this contest, Faye Baker making her Dripping Pan debut, with Rachel Palmer returning to defence. Skipper Kelly Newton moved to the bench with Charlotte Owen starting alongside Rutherford and McIntyre in the centre. Amy Taylor returned to lead the front line.

Donoghue's side were forced to be patient as West Ham resistance and difficult playing conditions conspired to keep them out. Lewes attacked from the off, forcing ten corners inside the first twenty minutes. The Hammers, led at the back by skipper Amy Cooper and the excellent Hannah Wheeler, fought hard to deny Lewes a clear scoring chance.

With Shirvae Edwards isolated up front, when the visitors did clear their lines they were forced to regroup as Lewes redoubled their attacking efforts. Dani Lane, instrumental in recent wins, linked well with Avilla Bergin on the left, with Victoria Carleton enjoying her best outing yet wide on the right.

Carleton it was who fashioned the clearest chances from open play, her darts on the right flank leaving Jasmine Auguste in need of reinforcements on several occasions. The home effort was driven by the immaculate McIntyre, who bestrode the slick turf with great assurance. 

Taylor had an early sniff when Owen’s neat flicked header was collected by Bergin, who’s low, driven cross was well taken off Taylor’s toes by Cherie Rowlands in the West Ham goal. There followed an accumulation of Lewes corners, McIntyre taking from the left, Palmer from the right. West Ham defended bravely, Chantelle Mackie with one memorable flick off the line as the Lewes forwards gathered like hungry wolves. 

Taylor let fly from fully 35 yards, Rowlands handling well in the rain. Baker, a by-stander for much of the half, was called into action when an under-hit pass forced her to save from Anderson-James. When Molly Peters attacked with pace, Darcey James stepped across to deal with the danger. 

Perhaps the best chance of the half fell to Owen. Carleton once again danced past Auguste. Her pass found Bergin at inside right, her shot was blocked across to Owen four yards out, but somehow Cooper got something in the way, the ball spinning to safety. At the other end, another short back-pass gave Edwards a chance, Baker taking the ball and side-stepping the Hammers forward before passing out to James. 

Greg de Carney replaced Edwards with Kelly Wealthall, looking to add speed and mobility to his forward line, but the chances dried up as Lewes tightened their grip in midfield.

For the most part it was (Lewes) attack v (West Ham) defence, and it looked like defence would go in at half time on top, until finally a chance fell. Yet another McIntyre corner, delivered into the danger zone, not cleared. The ball dropped to Rutherford who swivelled to hammer her shot high into the net. 1-0 (43). Half time 1-0.

The second half continued much as the first had ended. Lewes, through Lane and Bergin, forced corners, Cooper and Wheeler making no end of challenges and interceptions. West Ham’s best chances came from the home side’s profligacy at the back. Yet another misplaced pass saw Baker slide in to clear from Wealthall.

This latest close call appeared to galvanise the home side. Lane, busy, strong all afternoon, forced yet another corner with a trademark run on the left. McIntyre, having seen a well-whipped delivery fly out on the full moments earlier, lined this one up to perfection. The ball arced over Rowlands, dipping fiercely to bounce behind her and up into the net direct from the corner. 2-0 (56).

Hammers heads didn’t drop. Chong showed her intent with a frankly posthumous challenge on Rutherford, the referee apparently unwilling to sully the contest with a show of cards. James and Carleton, developing a good understanding on the right, linked again to send Bergin clear, her shot cannoning into Wheeler at close quarters before her team-mates cleared. 

Carleton, injured in a heavy challenge, made way for Rebecca Carter as Mollie Kmita replaced Anderson-James. Darcey James had a great chance to open her Lewes account, meeting another sweet Palmer delivery unmarked, but was unable to direct her header on target. 

Amy Taylor, hungry, powerful, closed and harried all afternoon, but the visitors had marked her card, doubling up every time she sensed an opening. Taylor found more space wide on the right and fired in a vicious low cross that Rowlands did well to hold. Peters, the pick of the West Ham midfielders, created a chance of her own, forcing James back, but the Lewes 2, who didn’t put a foot wrong all afternoon, eased away with the ball.

Newton and Johnson replaced Owen and Bergin as Lewes looked to fresh legs to close out the game. On 83 minutes McIntyre, still pulling the strings, saw a fine long-range effort beat Rowlands only to cannon off the crossbar and away to safety. However, Lewes did score the third their dominance deserved, on the stroke of full time. 

Newton played a smart one-two with James to release Lane on the left. This time she was thwarted by the excellent Mackie, but Palmer took over, riding two hard challenges to reach the byeline. Carter gave Cooper the slip, stepping outside the 6 yard box where Palmer’s pin-point pass found her, primed, to side-foot past the despairing dive of Rowlands. FT 3-0.

West Ham were well-drilled, courageous and fought hard for each other, ultimately forced to yield under relentless pressure from a Lewes team that have got that winning habit. Lewes were far from at their best, the conditions not helping their attempts to pass through the massed opposition defences, yet with Carleton showing glimpses of dazzling wing-play and McIntyre continuing her imperious form, there was only ever one outcome.

MvP as selected by match sponsors Elephant & Castle: Vicky Carleton

Katie McIntyre is on fire

Photo: James Boyes

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-10-2017, 03:49 PM,
RE: Lewes FC Women 2017-18
[fon‌t=Calibri]Lewes recovered to secure a point after Chichester took a first half lead in this fiercely contested Sussex derby.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Two opportunist goals from ace Chichester striker Charley Wilson-Blakely, the first very much against the run of play, seemed to have given the visitors control. First, Lewes defenders stood like statues as Cherelle Khassal’s dipping shot rebounded off Faye Baker’s crossbar. Wilson-Blakely reacted, lining up the dropping ball perfectly to fire into the bottom right-hand corner. 0-1[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Charlotte Owen had chance to reply within a minute of the restart. Dani Lane, well marshalled for much of the half by Keri Ryan and Tiff Taylor, got away to send in a well-angled cross. Owen flung herself full-length, connecting well but sending the ball wide of the target.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Minutes later, after a sustained spell of pressing from the visitors, Chichester cut through again. This time it was Jess Lewry with the initial strike, very well saved by Baker at full stretch. Once again Wilson-Blakely was first to the loose ball, planting the ball into an empty net. 0-2.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Earlier, Lewes had seemed in control. Darcey James, growing in stature with each match, delighted fans by dancing out of defence with the ball, swaying and swerving through a field of green and white before finding Katie McIntyre who shot narrowly wide. Moments later Leeta Rutherford showed her attacking intent, sending a clever lob over Sadie Wilson-Blakely. The crowd held its breath as the ball looped goal-wards, only to bounce high and clip the joint of post and crossbar. As the Lewes forwards waited to celebrate the goal, Chichester’s defenders raced back to clear.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Rebecca Carter’s eyes lit up when Lane and McIntyre combined to released her on the right. She rounded her marker, falling under a late challenge as she fired, her shot rippling the side netting. [/font]
[fon‌t=Calibri]After the Wilson-Blakely double, Lewes stepped up a gear. Rutherford, the recipient of some hefty early challenges, clearly relished the battle. The Chichester bench, animated and extremely verbal, were asked to calm down by Mr Walker. It was hard to see what their complaint was, given the aggressive tackling and in-your-face pressing from their own players.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Avilla Bergin was booked for reacting to persistent niggling from the combative Lauren Cheshire. The Chichester right back, excellent in the reverse fixture, made it her mission to upset the Lewes winger. Bergin, undaunted, simply upped her game, sending in some excellent crosses that caused Chichester problems. ‘No corner!’ screamed Matt Wright as his defenders fought to clear successive raids from Owen, Lane and Carter. His warning proved prescient.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]McIntyre picked out Lane, roaming wide on the left, with a pinpoint pass. The Lewes eleven cut inside before chipping over Wilson-Blakely, incredibly saved once again by the frame of her goal. Lewes pressure was unrelenting, and a minute later it paid off. [fon‌t=Calibri]Rachel Palmer delivered a peach of a corner that swerved away from the keeper. Leeta Rutherford pounced, smashing her header into the back of the net. 1-2.
[fon‌t=Calibri]A goal back was the least Lewes deserved. Soon, they were level. McIntyre’s corner from the left was half-cleared. Owen returned the ball, McIntyre firing into the melee in the six-yard box. With the ball trapped in a sea of frantic feet, up stepped Dani Lane to finish from close range. 2-2. HT 2-2.
[fon‌t=Calibri]Lewes may not have wanted the half time whistle but Chichester certainly needed it. They took the opportunity to replace struggling skipper Emma Alexandre with Laura Ingram. Lewes continued where they left off, Rutherford and McIntyre driving the attacks, Kelly Newton the perfect insurance policy when moves broke down.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri][fon‌t=Calibri]Wilson-Blakely continued to cause concern for the Lewes back line, her direct runs and strong presence keeping Bex Thompson and Darcey James occupied. The contest was halted, permanently for the Chichester striker, when she went up to meet a high Chloe Tucker cross. Wilson-Blakely and Newton arrived together, a fraction of a second before Baker.[/font][/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]As the resulting pile-up cleared it was Wilson-Blakely who remained prone, eventually carried off on a stretcher with suspected ankle ligament damage. Young striker Alex Collighan replaced her, and whilst both sides continued to strive for supremacy, in all truth the injury took some of the heat from the contest. FT 2-2.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]MvP: Leeta Rutherford. Back to her best, covered every blade and pulled her team back into the contest with a typically brave header. Bex Thompson showed once again how good she can be, keeping someone of Cherelle Khassal’s class quiet for the most part. Darcey James gave another in a series of assured performances, and Kelly Newton, eyes shining after a contest that could be labelled ‘right up my street’, displayed huge heart in the heat of midfield.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Special mention for Charley Wilson-Blakely, one of the best strikers I’ve seen at this level. No-one who loves the game wants to see a player hurt, though calls for a penalty at the time were egregious and most likely born of the frustration losing such a gifted player can cause. Everyone at Lewes wishes CWB a swift and full recovery.[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Lewes manager John Donoghue was delighted with his side’s response to going behind.[/font]
[fon‌t=Calibri]‘We let them in with two errors, but I was pleased with the response. I thought we would go on to win the game, but the injury to Charley (Wilson-Blakely) seemed to affect both teams. They probably deserved a draw over the two games. [/font]
[fon‌t=Calibri]We remain unbeaten in 7 and now look ahead to back-to-back games against Palace. These will be tou[fon‌t=Calibri]gh matches so we’ll need to recover quickly and prepare well.’[/font][/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]     [/font]
[fon‌t=Calibri]Leeta Rutherford powers home[/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Dani Lane smashes in the second[/font][/font]

[fon‌t=Calibri]Photos: James Boyes @gingeraction[/font]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August 2017 Sweder 13 454 20-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  July 2017 Sweder 18 512 07-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  June 2017 Sweder 3 316 15-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Last Post: twittenkitten
  April 2017. Sweder 9 553 27-05-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  March 2017 Sweder 22 2,928 28-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Lewes FC Ladies 2016-17 Sweder 10 1,739 28-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  February 2017 Sweder 28 4,076 26-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  January 2017 Sweder 16 2,204 02-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  The Lewes Marathon Sweder 34 15,020 27-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Sweder

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)