Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16-01-2018, 09:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-01-2018, 09:51 PM by Sweder.)
I won't think about dealing in monthly threads until I start running again.

Week three of Chestwatch, still barking like a stranded seal in the mornings. No running this year and it's the 16th already.
I'm pulling out of Almeria, as even a 9K is going to be too much on zero running.
C'est la vie.

Sad to report that the third and last of Motorhead's Three Amigos, Fast Eddie Clarke, shuffled off this mortal coil last week. 
I had the good fortune to catch up with him at the Saxon gig in London last year. He was a gentleman and a gentle man, a talented guitarist who thought he possessed a better singing voice than he did. It must be getting loud up/ down there.

Now, I shall sit back and live vicariously via the exploits of my Twitten/ Moyleman/ Almerian/ RC brethren.

Happy New Year, y'bastards. 

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-03-2018, 10:00 PM,
RE: 2018
Well? How did I get here?
What IS this place?

I feel like a proper interloper. No, not even that. 'lope' cannot be used here, at least, not by me.
No running this year so far. Not a step. Asthma has been diagnosed and various drugs dispensed.
It's upsetting, but it's not terminal. My waistline is expanding, but so are my hopes for improvement.

So, why the long face?

Well, I was born with it, for one thing. 
Also, I will not be in Lewes for the 2018 edition of the Moyleman.
Yes, the true cause of my glum disposition is not my own physical decrepitude, rather the spite of circumstance that has, in the past few days, seen a client invoke contractual obligation. I shall be in Shanghai next week. There's no-one else suitable (key word; there are many others, but they don't qualify) and available. I have to go. I've applied for my visa (I'm told I'll get it, too) and I've booked my ticket.

Don't. I've tried everything. In a delicious twist of irony, my asthma nurse tells me Shanghai, or any major Chinese city, is the worst place for a recently re-diagnosed asthmatic to go. Let alone a cold, damp, dusty exhibit hall. She leaves me breathless, you know. And she always laughs, every single time I say that.

C'est la vie. I'm trying not to think of everything I'll miss next weekend. The smiles, the tears, the hugs, the handshakes, the beer, the pizza, the beer ... If I sit down and think about it properly I'll not stop sobbing. It has - and will - force me to re evaluate life, or mine at least. At my age I don't need work to intervene to this degree. There will need to be changes made, and I'm of a mind to make them. 

But, enough already. 

This will be the most spectacular, star-studded Moyleman in the series so far. 
We have special guests, a shiny new Race Director, an appearance by the Grande Fromage himself plus the Spanish Armada. 
There's a monstrous post-race dinner in the offing - at the Pelham Arms, no less! It will be incredible. And it will go incredibly well, for my young apprentice has set about things with such gusto and aplomb there will be no unturned stones left, on or off the course. Duncan is one of the most considered, competent, confident people I've ever met. He has a small army of dedicated people around him. He'll miss my jokes - come on, who wouldn't? - and there will be more Abyss to drink. That's it. Like Chris, I will be there with them all, in spirit.

This is the best weekend of the year. I include Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, Lewes winning the league (they will, the men at least, in May), all of that. It is a rambunctious celebration of life, a salute to absent friends, a coming together of like-minded fools to pay homage to our wondrous Lewes hills. I'm sad, but I'm immensely proud. I cannot wait to watch it all unfold on WhatsUp, Tweeter, the Fleecebook and Snapnumpty. 

Next year, we will endeavour to rig up at least one cyclist and a runner with GoPro feeds to run an edited Facebook Live! service. 
Not for me, you understand, for I will be there. But because, quite possibly, we can. 

On, on.

10-03-2018, 02:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2018, 02:43 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
I am gutted for you. From dog-sledding in the wilderness to contractual obligations in Shanghai in seemingly one instant, and thus missing the Big Race, I know would be heart-breaking for you.

Still, Chris would undoubtedly tell you to suck it up and be grateful for the opportunities that life gives. Opportunities so sadly denied to so many.

And yes, I've no doubt The Big Cat will get it all done in admirable and befitting fashion.

Keep us posted!
Run. Just run.
10-03-2018, 11:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2018, 11:23 AM by Charliecat5.)
For the last four years he has had the mantle of Race Director – a very prestigious role.  A role he has manged with great flair and confidence… safe in the knowledge that he had an extraordinary right-hand man out there making sure things all ran smoothly.  He was more the swan above the water, whilst I took the role of the feet, furiously paddling.

But now, the year that I was volunteered to become Race Director, he buggers off.  Leaving me without the reciprocal turn of having my own right-hand man.  Thank Christ for that!  

We don’t need the Big Man in a practical sense, the race is bigger than any  individual (albeit we need his truck).  However, we will desperately miss his presence.  The old goat is the heart and soul of the Moyleman.  He is the connection to Chris which created this madness in the first place.

Moreover, he is taking with him the most important, and most emotional part of my day.  That hug we always have as the sun sets, once the beers have been drunk, and the last echoes of the runners steps has faded away into the ether.  When it is just the two of us, patting each other on the back – job well done.     

Travel safe my friend…
There is more to be done
10-03-2018, 03:12 PM,
I'm so sorry you can't be in the race you dreamt about, S. We missed you a lot in Almería and we'll miss you more than a lot in Lewes. I'm sure that we all will have a good time but it will be very hard not to have one of the souls of this wonderful race in homage to Chris.

Safe travels,amigo!

Saludos desde Almería.

12-03-2018, 12:55 PM,
(10-03-2018, 11:21 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: Moreover, he is taking with him the most important, and most emotional part of my day.  That hug we always have as the sun sets, once the beers have been drunk, and the last echoes of the runners steps has faded away into the ether.  When it is just the two of us, patting each other on the back – job well done.     

Travel safe my friend…

Beautifully put CC5. I have been part of the email group Sweder started informing us all of his enforced absence, and am also part of a group offering to take on more work if necessary. it won't replace him of course, that can't happen, but it will ensure that there are enough of us to cover much of what the Old Wheezy Goat does.

This year will be a success, of that there is no doubt. It will be as a nod to Chris, as it will also be to Ash.

Absent Friends!
13-03-2018, 09:50 AM,
I'm starting to think my absence is simply an excuse for yet more beer ...

13-03-2018, 11:30 AM,
(13-03-2018, 09:50 AM)Sweder Wrote: I'm starting to think my absence is simply an excuse for yet more beer ...

Well, your absence does wonders for the availability of the stuff, to be sure.
Run. Just run.
21-03-2018, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 21-03-2018, 02:40 AM by Sweder.)
I have a lot to say about this last weekend, far too much for someone who wasn’t there.
I saw it all, of course, from my lofty post above the stars, beamed via satelite through WhatsApp streams, Twitter and Facebook. A digital picture formed of thousands of individual pixels, pulled together in my mind to paint a picture.
And what a picture it was.

But wait ... the tale must be told by those who were there.
I know some are still processing, decompressing, collating, ruminating and generally piecing themselves back together.
And that’s just CharlieCat5. So we’ll just have to wait for the reports to emerge.

For the rest of us, here’s the Flickr stream ...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/moyleman/a...2927845221

26-03-2018, 01:09 PM,
And what of the year ahead, Sweder? Any running plans, as such?
Run. Just run.
26-03-2018, 08:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-03-2018, 08:42 PM by Sweder.)
Oh yes, I’ll probably run this year

26-03-2018, 10:41 PM,
(26-03-2018, 08:41 PM)Sweder Wrote: Oh yes, I’ll probably run this year

Good to see you are still so focussed. Don't overdo it.
Run. Just run.