Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So ... What Now?
26-02-2019, 01:47 PM,
So ... What Now?
Post Almeria survival, running continues in a manner of speaking.
But, to what end? Hmm. That's a toughie. I think the answer lies in the pages of the recent Askwith tome, Running Free.
For me, it's about getting out and enjoying the fresh air and the scenery. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Oh, and the Moyleman, of course. 
There's always the Moyleman.
17th March 2019

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-02-2019, 02:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-02-2019, 02:47 PM by Sweder.)
RE: So ... What Now?
Some stats, for those who eat them with sprinkled chia seeds.

In 2018, between 1st Jan and 31st March, I ran a grand total of 2.98 kilometres. 
That's two point nine eight. Chest lurghie did for me, and some. I was press-ganged into a gig in Shanghai and missed the Moyleman, despite my extremely poor lung function and ever-present cough. 

At time of writing, 26th February 2019, since 1st of Jan I've logged 124.0 (nicely rounded number!) kms. 
That includes a brisker-than-expected Almeria half, thanks to Antonio being in terrific form and knocking ten minutes off his 2018 time. 
Runkeeper tells me my average pace this year is 7.40 minutes per kilometre. Last year was 7.33 m/km. I can explain the drop by confessing that several times this year I've forgotten to switch Runkeeper off, logging at least 2 hours of wandering about post-run. My bad.

2018 saw a total of 77 outings. This year, in 7 weeks I've managed 22, including my 100th ParkRun (now up to 106) and a few Twitten sessions.

Health-wise breathing remains an issue. My chest is clear, yet the asthma that reappeared after last year's illness lingers, announcing itself with an apologetic crackle at the end of each long exhalation. I have a 'preventer' somewhere in my car, a small drug dispenser that I click and suck on before exercise. I keep forgetting to use it (it's in my car, not round my neck). It helps a bit, and I might use it more once I start to improve. 

It's a bit 'catch 22' of course. Like this morning. I took the hounds - I'm back up to three after the recent addition of Mabel, a delightful Cockapoo with more energy than a huddle of suns - for a blat over the Chalk Pits. Such a beautiful morning, the sun rising over Caburn, mile 23 of the Moyleman, viewed from halfway up mile 1. Mist clung to the town rooftops like gun-smoke as sheep marched south across Landport Bottom. 

On the way home I stepped on the gas. A full-throttle blast for as long as I could manage, around 40 seconds or so as it turned out, until my alveoli popped and crackled like a once-famous breakfast cereal and I had to pull up just to find some oxygen. 

It's good to be out there. Long may it continue.

26-02-2019, 02:45 PM,
I've thought that your outings in recent weeks have been good ones - you've been driving up the Twittens like days of yore ...
04-03-2019, 02:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2019, 02:38 PM by Sweder.)
Weird ....

With the sad news that Keith Flint of Prodigy fame had departed this world, I looked back on Paris in 2006, when Moyleman and I sat in his room tapping our toes to 'Breathe' before setting off on the Paris Marathon.

Well, I would have looked back on it, if it were here. But Paris; the race report and all the nonsense around it, has gone.
I've no idea how or why, but it's not in the April 2006 thread, and the links in my retrospective post are 404.
Bugger.

EDIT
Hahahahaha ... haha ... ha
Senile old fool.
It's under 'Marathon de Paris' - thanks to Dan for compiling the List of Race Reports else I'd never have found it.

05-03-2019, 08:36 AM,
(04-03-2019, 02:29 PM)Sweder Wrote: Weird ....

With the sad news that Keith Flint of Prodigy fame had departed this world, I looked back on Paris in 2006, when Moyleman and I sat in his room tapping our toes to 'Breathe' before setting off on the Paris Marathon.

Just read that he'd done the Chelmsford Park Run a couple of days before. Did it in 21 minutes as well so the guy must have been in really good shape considering all those excesses! Depression eh ...   Huh Sad
05-03-2019, 01:39 PM,
So.... What now.....? I'm back, dat's what!

After my (ahem) triumph in the Connemarathon 10 years ago, and surgery on both feet (not caused by, but related to all the running) I have since pursued a marginally less painful path of extreme yoga and the odd potter around the Park Run of a Saturday morning. After a truly grim 2018, when various members of my family tried to die (some succeeding) realisation dawned that life is for living - and running - so best get out there and do it. Here I go again.

Chosen event is the Inish Bofin half marathon in May. Although 10 years ago, the memory of the pain of the full whack has not entirely dimmed, so a half marathon seems quite enough. Although I have been doing the odd random run, my first proper training run reminded me of the camaraderie of the trail. Hacking along the South Downs way on the way back to base at Ditchling Beacon and beginning to 'feel' it, I spied a trio of fellow runners a couple of 100 yards ahead. Digging in, determined to catch them I eventually managed to run them down. 'Caught you' I gasped, when along side 'followed you all the way from Black Cap'. One of the runners asked if I was in training, and on being told (proudly) that I was aiming for the Inish Bofin Half, he neatly trumped that by announcing they were out to support their mate who was training for a 50 miler.

Ho Hum, always someone running further and faster - but d'you know? The most important thing is just doing it - and keeping on doing it.
21-03-2019, 10:11 PM,
The ‘MolyMan’ Marathon 2019.
What can you say? Unreal. Best day of the year, bar none. 

Don’t take my word for it:
Rogue Runners: Molyman 2019

21-03-2019, 10:23 PM,
(05-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Katy.a Wrote: So.... What now.....? I'm back, dat's what!  

Welcome back Katy! 
I probably know some of that lot you reeled in.

Which ParkRuns are uou popping up at? 
A few of us are visiting Seaford Beach ParkRun these days. Gorgeous views and not too busy.

26-03-2019, 01:00 PM,
(21-03-2019, 10:23 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Katy.a Wrote: So.... What now.....? I'm back, dat's what!  

Welcome back Katy! 
I probably know some of that lot you reeled in.

Which ParkRuns are uou popping up at? 
A few of us are visiting Seaford Beach ParkRun these days. Gorgeous views and not too busy.

Hi Sweder 
I'm tottering around Preston Park of a saturday - staggering distance from home. 
Just about to set out for my last training run across the Downs before jetting out to NZ to visit my grand baby for his first birthday. It's so flipping grown-up being a grand parent (not sure I like the 'grown-up' bit). Jet lag not the best training for a half mara, but my ex-NZ-army son-in-law says he'll keep me in shape, so hoping not to embarrass myself come the 18 May.
06-08-2019, 11:14 PM,
How did it go Katy?
Keen to hear all about it ...

13-08-2019, 03:20 PM,
So Ash, what's this about a cricket injury and an op? Is this the end of the road, or an attempt at a new beginning....?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-10-2019, 08:28 PM,
Well, as you're asking ...
It turns out I'm more Jefferey Acher than Joffra Archer.
Barreling in to fire yet another missile a whisker outside off stump I planted my left foot into the ground only to hear and feel a large stack of dried twigs give way with a sickening crunch. Turns out that was what was left of the meniscus in my left knee. I'm now in a Poundshop Robocop outfit for a few weeks to allow the bruised bone chance to heal before the medics go in.

This has scuppered more than my Moyleman 2020 chances. Things are falling apart. My goal now is to still fit through the door of my house after Christmas, a far from done deal as Duncan will attest.

I've no plans to get running again anytime soon. To do so would be straight out of the Walter Mitty playbook.
But I'm fully committed to working for others to do so; the Moyleman remains a key part of the near future.

27-10-2019, 11:20 AM,
What is it the medics are going to do exactly, RoboRunningMan?
Run. Just run.
27-10-2019, 06:57 PM,
So sorry to read that awful piece of news, S.!

Hope you get well soon and be able to do sport again.

Saludos desde Almería.

13-04-2020, 03:24 PM,
Running In The Time Of Covid-19

Not running, really, more heavy jog-walking. But activity of sorts. It's taken an act of government to force me out of the house once a day.
The knee op, an arthroscopy to remove shredded meniscus and check on the surface quality of my bones, took place in late February. I've been taking it easy since then. Not difficult, as I'd been doing exactly that for the preceding 6 months or so. This time, though, it feels like there's an endgame.

On Sunday I wobbled gently around the Twittens, alone again, naturally. The knee was OK but the lungs - the lungs! Tiny dried-out teabags, unable to keep up with demands issued by shocked muscles and a woefully under-employed blood pump. I got round, I didn't collapse. In fact I followed up with a 16 km bike ride, another leisurely affair, this time along the blessed flats of the riverbank, in the afternoon. The plan is to keep doing this sort of thing until something issues a complaint more serious than a grumble, or I actually start to get better at it.

Other plans during this lockdown include archiving my running diaries. Not (yet) in book form, but migrating millions of words to my own archive, online or off. I'd quite like something akin to what Tom has, a Wordpress-style collection of ramblings with an index. This is more to preserve what's already gone, rather than produce more. I may edit a few of the more colourful pieces for my own amusement. I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge, though. I find online tutorials, usually delivered in a laconic mid-west American accent by a laconic American from the mid-west, incomprehensible after the first 60 seconds.

More likely is a simple conversion of my favourite bits to individual word files to be shoved away in a series of folders on my iMac.
Either way it'll keep me out of mischief and off the beer for a few days.

Hope you're all keeping well and your loved ones are safe.

09-05-2020, 01:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2020, 01:47 PM by Sweder.)
I bit more running, a smidgeon less lard. 
This week I've extended my circuit to take in my old chalk pit/ woodland trail, around 4.6 kms of fairly hilly terrain.
This morning I ran it in reverse. I can say 'ran' because as recent outings this was pretty much 95:5 run:walk. A triumph.

The errant knee is not right. There's no point pretending, this has not gone the same way as the right did some five years ago.
I've had the op, done the rehab and this one is still swelling up like Nigel Farage in front of a TV camera. I'm using ice and elevation, taking rest days, doing HIIT sessions 4/5 times a week. It feels like this knee will be troublesome from here on in and I'm OK with that. I'm no spring chicken and my gait was never a thing of beauty, as Moyleman would often attest. I still have the Quasimodo statuette, awarded by Tina and the Moyles after the Paris Marathon.  

On the running front I've noticed some positive signs. The other day I was rumbling home across the top of Landport Bottom, puffing like a traction engine dragging a house. As I approached the gate at the end of the field I sort of 'came to'. I'd been daydreaming, letting my mind wander as my body got on with the forward motion stuff. This is a good sign. I'm still wary of missing a footing and rupturing something irreparably, but I feel that 'sixth sense' hill runners develop will come back in time. 

Physically my lungs are struggling on the climbs. This also will pass as I extend the distances and relax into the sessions. Legs, knee aside, are OK. The belly is a burden but whilst it hasn't receded completely it has firmed up a bit. I'd like to get out to Blackcap next week, a five mile round trip door-to-door. 

Lockdown has given me an odd sense of calm. Whilst there's plenty of angst about business matters, getting things done in a hurry no longer seems important. Getting things done well, all in good time, makes more sense. So whilst Blackcap is a target, I won't throw my toys out of I don't get there. I've set myself a modest target of running the Almeria 9K with Antonio in February 2021. This assumes we can afford the expected hike in air fares, and indeed that we'll be allowed to travel this far for leisure by then. 

One thing I've learned these past 7 weeks or so is that people are important to me. I've missed my running companions, be they based in Lewes, Seaford, Brighton or farther afield. I'm a hugger. You can all expect of lot of hugs when all this is over. Hopefully by then there will be a little less of me to hug. 

On, on.

07-06-2020, 05:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 05:36 PM by Sweder.)
Achilles Hell
Running, eh? Just when you find your mojo down the back of the sofa and you manage a few kilometres without collapsing at the end, your body says ' hang on a minute ...'

An hour before this evening's planned twilight run on the downs I set off for the bike shed, looking for a tool box. As I pushed off down the gentle slope I felt something horrible happen at the base of my right calf. It felt like Blue Tac when you go to pull off a strip from the main sheet; there's a moment of resistance before the material separates.

'Oh no!'  I pulled up, turned and hobbled back to the house. Torn achilles. Not completely snapped - there was no pistol crack or super sharp pain. But I fear the tear will be just as debilitating. I've deployed RICE with a view to complete rest tonight before contacting insurers and hospitals tomorrow. I'll need a scan, but the prognosis is going to be plenty of rest to allow the shredded tendon to heal.

It's very annoying. I'd made good progress, bagging another hilly 5K on Friday. I'd planned 8K tonight and a week of HIIT and gentle running.
C'est la vie. On the plus side I can offer total rest to my still-not-quite-right left knee. I'll have to modify the HIIT sessions to exclude active use of the legs. That'll be a challenge.

I'll keep you posted. Be careful out there.

08-06-2020, 11:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2020, 12:04 PM by Sweder.)
Born In The NHS
Update: it's a strain, NOT a tear. 

This is infinitely better news. A tear would be a minimum of 6 weeks out and probably some form of diver's boot.
A strain means rest, ice, compression, elevation, hardcore for 48 hours with some minimal and very gentle exercise. 
After that it'll be self-assessment. IF I behave and go easy I could be back to light jogging as early as next week. 

Let's see how that goes!

In other news, my visit to the local A&E was a timely reminder of how brilliant the NHS is.
The nurse asked a few questions, including who I currently live with.
"Wife, daughter, her boyfriend, mother-in-law, two dogs and a cat"
"Ah, you'll be hoping for a stay with us then!"

She applied the calf squeeze test to assess the damage.
Kneel on a chair, have someone squeeze your calf. If your foot jumps like a landed fish, your achilles tendon is working. Mine twitched and jumped rather well.

"Strained, not torn. Your tendon's working OK. Sorry, you'll have to go back to the house"
RICE and pain-reducing drugs prescribed, the conversation took a turn.

"Don't look so sad, it's good news"
"Yes but ... I'll have to cut down on my beer intake"
I explained the miles to beer ratio and the fact that I have access to some of the finest beer known to mankind right here in Lewes.
"It's vegan, too, if you're into that"

This led to a conversation about finings, how brewers use fish guts to cleans the liquid to achieve that crisp, clean finish so prized by the big breweries.
Abyss Brewing don't use finings, leaving their product proudly cloudy and astoundingly tasty, not to mention suitable for vegans. 

"I'll get some of that for my Dad then"

Our NHS is a remarkable thing. It's riddled with flaws, struggles under the crushing weight of bureaucracy and government cuts, yet at the coal face it's front line workers manage to treat a never-ending line of complainants with efficiency and good humour.

A few weeks ago we gave up 'clapping for carers'. Instead we ordered 'Born In The NHS' T-shirts from Philosophy Football. Proceeds go to the NHS Charities who support NHS workers struggling to make ends meet.

Check 'em out here: https://www.philosophyfootball.com/born-in-the-nhs.html

11-06-2020, 01:54 PM,
Cloudy beer is always best.

Rest well and heal that Achilles properly. And keep writing.
Run. Just run.