Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Moyleman 2019
30-03-2019, 10:05 PM,
The Moyleman 2019
Last year I did the first part of the Moyleman. It was a hard experience due to the very cold weather, with the land snowed from previous days but I enjoyed running under those tough conditions that I’m not used to. This year the weather conditions were better. The strong wind that we had the previous day softened and the sun sometimes shone weakly. I was looking forward to doing the second part of the amazing Moyleman so that I could see all the beautiful race course.

After having the buffet breakfast at the hotel where we met a girl from Kent taking part in the race, Felipe and I walked to the school where the registration was. On our way we met Amanda, who had driven from Hove I think, to take part in her first Moyleman marathon. At the school, we met a lot of friends who were helping as organisers, marshals or going to take part in the race. We greeted them, listened to the race director’s speech and went to the start line. Felipe was going to do the first part as well as Rob, David, James, Julie... There I saw Brian, who was going to do the full marathon. I asked him if he knew where Naomi was. He told me and then I saw Naomi’s husband in his bike with other volunteers who were going to help and his son I. I went to greet Naomi. I was so glad to greet her and see that she was better.

After the relay runners left at 10:15 am, Richard and his dog Rico, Camilla and I went to Richard’s car to go to the youth hostel where the second lap started. There Richard and I went to have a hot drink and a piece of cake. Camilla didn’t feel like having anything. There I greeted tall Simon, who had gone there training. I hadn’t seen him for a few years. He has taken part in Almería half several years.

Afterwards, Camilla, Rich and I went out. They took me to the beginning of the second leg and showed me the big hill we’d have to climb soon. At the half marathon line we greeted David, Paula and other runners who were waiting for their partners to get there so that we could start our half marathon. I went to the loo wishing them good luck. When I came back James, David’s nephew had already arrived. Then Rob arrived and Julie with Amber. Afterwards Camilla’s partner arrived. I didn’t know what had happened to Felipe. He was supposed to arrive in two hours but he finally got there in two hours and a half. Later I learnt that he lost around half an hour because he got the wrong path.

I started at a gentle pace knowing that I had to climb a steep hill. I greeted the marshal at the beginning who cheered me and soon I passed three girls wishing them good luck. I felt quite well in that beautiful scenery running on the soft grass far from the madding crowd greeting people I passed and wishing them good luck. When I was in around my kilometre 10 I saw James in his Irish skirt to celebrate St Patrick’s day. He was with other people in a beautiful plain. I smiled at him and greeted him. I was so glad to see him there. He took some photos of me and cheered me. I carried on jogging feeling fine. When I went down a road, I reached Amanda. We had met her while we were walking towoards the school. We went together around half a kilometre but I felt I could go faster. So I wished her good luck to finish her marathon. Then I reached Camilla. She felt some discomfort in one of her legs. After a few minutes, I decided to go on. I wished Cam best of luck and continued jogging and passing a few other runners. In a water station I greeted Tom R. and thanked him for the water and all he does with coordinating the marshals.

I felt quite comfortable in the race. My aim was to do the half under three hours but as I was doing calculations to see my average pace, I noticed I could do the half in around two hours thirty, which is quite good for my level. When I got to Glynde I saw an arrow before a bridge. I didn’t know whether to cross the bridge or go towards the town. I asked the runner who came behind me and he told me it must be towards the town centre. Then I saw at the water station Joe and Louise. I drank the bottle of water there and we talked a little. They cheered me a lot. And then a terrible hill appeared, a hill that most people had to walk. I think it’s called the Coburn hill. I started walking fast but I managed to pass a few runners. I greeted them telling how tough the hill was. I remember passing three girls who were going together. In the last station in the hill I talked to a friendly marshal who gave me jelly beans. He told me that he remembered me from last year. Then I got to the golf club. I didn’t see any runners in front but I saw a couple coming up and asked them if they had seen other runners going down. They confirmed that I was following the right way. Then after a short time I saw I was in the street near the finish. I saw James. I told him he had got there faster than me. Her cheered me. I also saw his wife, Annie, cheering. Then I turned left in the alley to get to the Harvey’s brewery where the finish is. I arrived there feeling great. I hugged Duncan and Ash. Then I saw Carmen and Ester, Felipe’s wife. We all were so glad. We had some photos taken. I greeted Andy B. who was helping there. I also greeted Duncan and Miriam‘s niece who was helping at the drink and food station. I got the beer glass which together with the purple waist band are the Moyleman symbols. Afterwards, Carmen and Ester took my tickets and got me the delicious pint of Harvey’s and the pizza.

It’s been a fantastic trip. We enjoyed visiting Winchester and its magnificent cathedral, Chichester on our way to Lewes, Brighton with Richard and Julie where we had dinner at Bill’s, Beachy Head which in spite of the windy day is really awesome and Lewes where we had a wonderful time at The Swan on Saturday evening and at the Pelham’s Arms where we had a delicious post marathon evening meal with so many friends we’re so proud of having in that beautiful area of England. Thank you very much for your wonderful hospitality! Looking forward to being able to take part in that fantastic race next year. It’s a race you easily fall in love with. The course is hard but beautiful, the atmosphere is very nice, the people that organise and volunteer are so friendly and involved in helping you and making you feel well that it makes you have wonderful memories and you wish to go back. Actually, I would love to be able to do the South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne on mountain bike one day. It must be a wonderful experience.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPP...FBQnQ3eUd3

01-04-2019, 10:24 AM,
RE: The Moyleman 2019
Super report as always. I remember at the finish you told me that you expected the run to be harder.

Perhaps the full one for you next year then?
01-04-2019, 08:19 PM,
Muchas gracias, SP.

If I'm fit enough, I'd love to be able to do the full Moyleman next year but I should train quite a lot to be able to do such a hard course under six hours.

Saludos desde Almería.

03-04-2019, 06:45 PM,
Wonderful report! Great to read how the run was for you. Really great that it went so well. See you before too long I hope!
04-04-2019, 01:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2019, 01:15 PM by Sweder.)
Congratulations Antonio. Your good form from Almería continued for the Moylemam! You looked very well when you arrived at the finish line.

The big hill is Mount Caburn. It sits at Mile 23 to offer wonderful views of the town and surrounding countryside. If you like, next year I will run the full marathon with you. I’ve never taken part. Now that Brian is Director and Duncan his second-in-command, I should be ok to run. I have one more marathon I n me, and if there’s to be a last marathon for me, this must surely be it.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-04-2019, 07:41 PM,
Muchas gracias, OATR and S.
It'd be a great honour to run the full marathon with you next year, S. I've got to train a lot in order to be able to finish alive but I'll keep on training. If I'm lucky with injuries, I think I can do it and with your wise pieces of advice it will be less tough.

Saludos desde Almería.

07-04-2019, 06:41 PM,
Thanks for sharing this report Antonio - a great read. I think it is summed up by your single sentence: "And then a terrible hill appeared." It sounds like something from the Bible.

I should really try and make it down for the half next year. As it's 6 months away from my now traditional September marathon.

08-04-2019, 08:47 PM,
Muchas gracias, Dan. I'm sure you'll enjoy this wonderful off-road race. Although it is tough, it's worth doing it for the beautiful scenery, the great atmosphere created by the organisers, marshals, participants, public ... Looking forward to meeting you next year.

Saludos desde Almería.