Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June- life's a bitch and then there is no more running
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM,
Whilst walking out in the Cheshire countryside last Saturday morning I walked under a rural canal bridge that leaks like a sieve from the canal above. It is always slippery, the pavement positively oozes green slime. We walked in the road to avoid said slime, but had to get out of the way of an approaching car, heel contacts curb and I skidded, legs in the air to land v.heavily back wards on to my left arm - consequence = severely fractured left wrist, it looked like a swans neck and I came the closest I have ever been to actually fainting. Hospital were quick and efficient but despite three people wrestling with it at once they haven't managed to put it back exactly in to place, so I am plastered - (I wish!) and have to go back on Monday to see if they can pin it back.

So - no running, no cello, no fun.

Have been taking the gin and tonic treatment each night as it seems to be a more effective pain killer than ibuprofen;-) but basically fed up, I hate day time telly and I have already got through three longish novels and typing with one hand is v.slow:-(

Moan over.
Phew this is hard work !
06-06-2008, 12:26 PM,
Eek

Oh god, that sounds awful. Profound commiserations. Or as they would say on the RW forum, (((((SW)))).

I've managed never to break any bones, and dread the thought. I have a very bad habit of trotting down the stairs in socks. Several times I've slipped, and nearly done myself a serious injury. Only a matter of time I fear.

So, no running for a while, I suspect? Bad luck on the cello front too. I guess the only consolation is that you can guiltlessly hit the bottle in the interests of analgesia, a task you seem to have set to with some enthusiasm.

Hope it mends soon without complications.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-06-2008, 01:12 PM,
Commisserations, sw. Sad

I have it on good authority that Guinness is widely recognised as being very efficacious in the healing of broken bones. Especially so when it is compounded with the analgaesic properties of gin and tonic.

In the interests of medical science, you should verify these claims.

One thing though - with only one hand, how do you slice the lime for your g&t?

Bit of a worry, that.
Run. Just run.
06-06-2008, 09:55 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Commisserations, sw. Sad

I have it on good authority that Guinness is widely recognised as being very efficacious in the healing of broken bones. Especially so when it is compounded with the analgaesic properties of gin and tonic.

In the interests of medical science, you should verify these claims.

One thing though - with only one hand, how do you slice the lime for your g&t?

Bit of a worry, that.

I suppose you could get a long-bladed sharp knife, embed it into the earth just outside the back door, then, with a leg holding the knife steady, drag the lime or lemon across the blade.

Or get your husband to slice it for you.

Not sure which, but I suspect SW has employed one of these methods. My cash would be on the former, as one could more easily conceal the volume of one's drinking.

Which for some people (not me of course), may be a consideration.
El Gordo

06-06-2008, 10:03 PM,
Yes I had thought that you could just hold it on the floor with your foot and slice it (the lime, not your foot)... you'd only have to be moderately dexterous and bare-footed to make it work. Trouble is you'd need a very clean floor...

SW: "Before you go to work could you wash the floor please?"
Mr SW: "The floor, why?"
SW: "Well I might feel like a gin and tonic or two later."

Hmm. Could either make or break a marriage methinks. Smile
Run. Just run.
10-06-2008, 07:48 AM,
That's really bad luck SwSad The "swan's neck" sounds familiar. I did exactly the same when I was about 16 on some tennis courts which we used for football training. Somehow managed to step on the ball with my standing foot, swipe air with the other and was then propelled downwards with an end result similar to yours. When everybody had finished laughing they took me to hospital. I should have packed in the footie years ago....

Hope you are on the mend..
10-06-2008, 10:11 AM,
Not sure how I managed to miss this thread SW - profound sympathies. It's bad enough when you reach the end of a trophy-less season and this sort of misfortune strikes, but with two magnificent pots to hoist aloft it must be galling to lose the use of one arm.

Good vibes coming your way, or as EG says in the cyberspace venacular (((SW))). As for the lemons, get the man to do it. I trust he's running around after you and driving you potty at the same time Wink

ps: If daytime telly's getting you down seek out a copy of Sky's ... it's a wonderful run by Giggs. It's not for everyone here I readily acknowledge, but it might just be the tonic you need. Also, get hold of Anchorman - the Legend of Ron Burgundy. It's silly to the edge of distraction but I know few who've sustained immunity to it's charms.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-06-2008, 10:06 PM,
Sweder Wrote:As for the lemons, get the man to do it.

I don't want us to have a fight over this Sweder, but gin & tonic really does require lime, not lemon.

MLC Man's Never-Fail G&T Recipe.
  • Chilled glass. Rare Slovak or Polish crystal is good, but not essential.
  • Good double measure of your favourite quality gin (I like Bombay).
  • A good tonic water (avoid generic/no-name brands), chilled of course - add to the strength you prefer (experiment!).
  • A little ice, but not too much.
  • A slice of just-ripe egg-sized (or smaller) lime (Most Australian limes are fine, or the ubiquitous Key lime is good - just make sure they are not irrigated) - never lime juice!
and the really important part:
  • A hammock suspended between two palmtrees.
  • A deserted beach on a remote tropical island.
  • A gentle, late-afternoon breeze.
  • No kids, no work.
I think I'm going to cry.
Run. Just run.
14-06-2008, 03:01 PM,
your sympathies are much appreciated. The gin and tonic has been flowing feely. MLCM I can see you are a G&T purist, I am v.particular about the chilled glass, my favourite G is Gordon's - I have tried many others but always come back to that. I like both lemon or lime - hhhmmm may try a lime/lemon combo tonight?

Had to forgo alchohol until Thursday, hospital eventually decided to operate, went in on Monday evening, came out on Wednesday at lunchtime, have a plated and pinned wrist and loads more pain, but I hope that will subside soon. My arm is no longer in plaster, just bandaged and in a high sling, feels very vulnerable. Back to the hospital on Monday to see how things are progressing.

Am so jealous of all the runners I see passing my house :-(

I have two formal do's to attend next weekend, will have to go shopping for a posh arm sling -
Phew this is hard work !
14-06-2008, 03:16 PM,
stillwaddler Wrote:went in on Monday evening, came out on Wednesday at lunchtime, have a plated and pinned wrist and loads more pain, but I hope that will subside soon. -

Ouch..Sad that sounds really nasty.. take it easy and here's to a swift and full recovery.
14-06-2008, 04:08 PM,
Cheers BB, hopefully it won't take too long:-)
Phew this is hard work !
15-06-2008, 07:01 PM,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, SW. However, this could be bad news for you. Eek
18-06-2008, 10:58 AM,
Oh No, can I stockpile, can you freeze 'em? Trip to the hospital this week to see the results of the surgery. Am now without plaster, just a light dressing on the wound and a splint to wear outside the house. Bad news is that I have hardly any movement at all in my wrist but loads of pain although my fingers are OK, phew!. Am awaiting physio. Wouldn't dare to run just yet, even on a treddy and am really missing my cello :-(
Phew this is hard work !
27-06-2008, 02:32 PM,
managed to tie my own trainer laces and then sat on the static bike at gym for 18.5 km - well it's a start. Bad news is physio I visited this week says it will be months rather than weeks for recovery.
Phew this is hard work !
27-06-2008, 06:51 PM,
stillwaddler Wrote:Bad news is physio I visited this week says it will be months rather than weeks for recovery.

What, you mean not even the Guinness is helping? This could rock the faithful to the core. Sad
Run. Just run.
28-06-2008, 08:55 AM,
So shaken was I by this news that I embarked on a Guinnessless evening with the Mighty Plodder. Still, seven pints of Old Trip seemed to smooth the edges off nicely. Had to switch to IPA after I drained the last of this excellent brew . . . just the small matter of a five miler in ugly humidity to negotiate Sad

The old boy was in goods spirits. He's taking up several seats on Number One court in SW19 this afternoon. Lucky fella.

28-06-2008, 11:18 AM,
Best of luck with the recovery from your injury, St. Anyway, take advantage of cycling which is also great.

14-07-2008, 01:12 PM,
anlu247 Wrote:Best of luck with the recovery from your injury, St. Anyway, take advantage of cycling which is also great.

can't ride my bike either as can't grip the handlebar let alone apply the back brake, so can only use recumbent exercise bike which is no fun at all:-(

More physio scheduled for tomorrow .

Have just got back from a week of slightly soggy pod camping in the Lakes. Couldn't attack our usual high places like Scawfell, but had a good time ambling about the foothills of Great Gable and over Muncaster Fell etc. It gave me a little more self confidence too. If next weeks xrays show some evidence of healing taking place I might be able to have a little trot out on the treddy at the gym.

Some good beers were enjoyed last week, (lots of micro breweries in the Lakes now) the most interestingly named beer I had was a pint of "Urrrmm..."!!

Also had an interesting chat to a fell runner who was just about to embark on the Wasdale Horseshoe race, I still can't understand how anyone can run down mountains with such vicious pathways.
Phew this is hard work !
14-07-2008, 01:16 PM,
Good thoughts/ vibes to you for your x-ray.
Envious of your camping, soggy or otherwise. My brood would rather have their teeth extracted by an old tooth-winding machine-thingy than embrace the outdoor life. Mrs S and I are biding our time . . .

14-07-2008, 01:54 PM,
I don't even have that to look forward to. Sad

M's holiday criteria are restaurants (OK then), galleries/museums (which I can tolerate for 2 or 3 days), and glitzy shopping (Eek).
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have to be a member of a running club to be a “real” runner? stillwaddler 2 3,152 03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  June, but far from flaming... stillwaddler 8 3,409 10-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Life after snowski stillwaddler 3 2,051 10-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder