Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Summer Madness...
03-09-2009, 12:36 PM,
Late Summer Madness...
Dunno whether MLC realises how uncannily psychic he is. Must tap him up for next week's lottery numbers.

After the step-back 6 months following the glory on those wet Almerian streets, I've entered another 10K!

'Down In One' of this parish mentioned a while ago that she wanted to continue her fledgling running career post-Spain with a view to selection for the 2012 Olympics (or something), so true to form we promptly did nothing about it - Until...

We've both entered the Crawley 10K. Ok no big shakes, but hey, it's better than arse-sitting.

Training started with vigour last night. A solid plod round the footy pitches of East Grinstead in the pissing rain followed by many lengths in the local pool followed by a visit to the local Thai.

But I won't mention that part, as we've both entered, agreed a (very) loose training schedule, and vowed to better our PB's gained in Spain.

And here's the rub. El Gordo has agreed to enter too! Eek He doesn't know it yet, but where else can he get to finally slay those demons of a few years ago when I whupped his sorry arse in Almeria, and follow it with lunch at his in-laws?

Makes perfect sense eh?

Sunday 18th October is the date, online entry is here http://www.stch.org.uk/howYouCanHelp/Joi...onclub.asp

It's billed as "multi-terrain". Thought I'd mention in case that whets the appetite of any Guinness drinking, Summer Matchplay Runner-Up, lardy-arsed Lewesian fellows Smile
04-09-2009, 06:55 PM,
Late Summer Madness...
Oooh ... Summer Matchplay final!
Guess we'd better sort that out. I've been beefing up for the weigh-in :o

______
Bloater

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-09-2009, 11:33 PM,
Late Summer Madness...
I'm in.

Thanks for the invitation, SP.

Return fixture -- Brighton 10K, November 15....

Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-09-2009, 11:31 AM,
Late Summer Madness...
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Dunno whether MLC realises how uncannily psychic he is.

...I knew you were going to say that.

Seafront Plodder Wrote:... Must tap him up for next week's lottery numbers.

37 6 11 25 1 17 are the six you need.

Enjoy!
Run. Just run.
10-09-2009, 08:58 AM,
RE: Late Summer Madness...
(05-09-2009, 11:31 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
Seafront Plodder Wrote:... Must tap him up for next week's lottery numbers.

37 6 11 25 1 17 are the six you need.

Enjoy!

See I told you - I hope you bought that ticket!
Run. Just run.
16-09-2009, 02:39 PM,
Sadly no recent runs of late, but loads of sweaty leaping about a tennis court to report. Most noticeably, yesterday my partner and I won our doubles match, a semi-final of the Sussex Open Vets (Over 45) doubles tournament.

This is an old-git tournament open to any tennis player over 44 in the County, so am chuffed to have got this far. Cool

Final on Sunday. After this, definitely going to get out for a ploddette or two....hopefully.
16-09-2009, 03:52 PM,
Hope you didn't exchange pleasantries with the linesperson in the S Williams vernacular.
Most unpleasant.

21-09-2009, 08:14 AM,
(16-09-2009, 02:39 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Final on Sunday.

How'd ya get on, SP?
21-09-2009, 10:30 AM,
(21-09-2009, 08:14 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(16-09-2009, 02:39 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Final on Sunday.

How'd ya get on, SP?

And how are you shaping up for the Crawley 10?
Run. Just run.
21-09-2009, 10:52 AM,
Big Grin Gissa chance MLC. I'm still basking in the glory of my win yesterday.

Now officially, one half of the No. 1 over 45 (hate the word veteran ) doubles pair in Sussex. Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

21-09-2009, 10:59 AM,
Shit a brick!! Well done lad - that showed 'em, eh? Never mess with a runner on the tennis court!

Well after that, I would think you should float through the Crawley 10!

Erm, that is 10 kilometres, right?
Run. Just run.
21-09-2009, 11:26 AM,
Congrats SP! You are now officially RC's most successful athlete!

Seriously - well done.
21-09-2009, 12:14 PM,
Nice one Lardy!
It'll make up for the dissapointment of losing on the second sudden-death playoff hole next Monday afternoon Big Grin
(he said rubbing his rabbits' foot, touching wood and kneeling to face the east ...)

21-09-2009, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-09-2009, 12:17 PM by El Gordo.)
[reverse_psychology]
Very well done, SP. You'll be in fine shape for the 10Ks coming up. I'm going to have to modify my expectations, I think. I was hoping to get in within 5 minutes of you. I'm changing that. If I finish within 10 minutes of the Sussex doubles tennis champion, I'll regard that as a triumph.
[/reverse_psychology]
El Gordo

21-09-2009, 09:01 PM,
This deserves an RC sporting achievement award.

What would the running equivalent be?
A county best for the 45+ catagory at half marathon would be 1:20 at least... perhaps nearer to 1:15.

Well done sir.
22-09-2009, 07:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 22-09-2009, 07:13 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Thanks guys. Am trying to source the pic that some guy took at the presentation. It's been sent to the local regional rag http://www.theargus.co.uk/ Hope I don't look too knackered Blush

(16-09-2009, 02:39 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Final on Sunday. After this, definitely going to get out for a ploddette or two....hopefully.

Never once have I regretted going for a run, but boy did I cut this one fine. All sorts of reasons not to get out this evening but....if I'm going to crush El G at Crawley and Brighton I've got to be better prepared than I was for Almeria.

Tried MLC's negative split thingy tonight. 10 minutes running into the wind along the seafront - quick breather - then see if I could get back to the car in under 10.

Just made it. Cool 2-ish miles and a 20 minute plod it may have been, but tonight was the start of something big. Probably.
22-09-2009, 09:49 PM,
Good man, SP.

I've not strayed out of doors yet, apart from a couple of leisurely bike rides. Have done some treadmill plodding, but I'll have to step up a gear to put you in your place. Main trouble is not being able to see my feet -- too much stomach in the way.
El Gordo

23-09-2009, 11:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-09-2009, 11:20 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Exclamation  RE: Late Summer Madness...
(22-09-2009, 07:05 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Tried MLC's negative split thingy tonight. 10 minutes running into the wind along the seafront - quick breather - then see if I could get back to the car in under 10.

Just made it. Cool 2-ish miles and a 20 minute plod it may have been, but tonight was the start of something big. Probably.

I guess I do rabbit on about negative splits rather a lot, but it does feel good to do them, doesn't it? Well done SP, and good to see you off the tennis courts and back out there in the real world doing a real sport.

EG -v- SP is going to be interesting, particularly here in the forums.
Run. Just run.
25-09-2009, 09:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-09-2009, 10:46 AM by Sweder.)
The Big Fight
(23-09-2009, 11:19 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: EG -v- SP is going to be interesting, particularly here in the forums.

There's something of the Ali/ Frazier about this one.
Or perhaps Ali/ Foreman; certainly involving a lean, mean fat-reducing (grilling) machine anyway Tongue

Anyone keen to run a book on this?
I might .. it seems to be the only thing, apart from a shower, I'm capable of running just at the moment Sad My money's on the Mighty Plodder. Of course I have an advantage, seeing a lot of his nocturnal training. If speed of beer consumption is any measure this thing is already over Big Grin

Cue the training theme from Rocky VI ...

25-09-2009, 10:02 AM,
OK, to make it interesting my money's on EG. He's got the guts and Rocky-like determination, whereas SP's loyalties are divided between the tennis court and getting you (Sweder) mullered.

Or at least, that's how it seems reading your posts, Ash.

Big Grin
Run. Just run.