Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Summer Madness...
25-09-2009, 11:49 AM,
RE: Late Summer Madness...
Of course there really is no contest. Confused

I intend to sit on his tail around the Crawley 10k, and ghost past him in the final few yards. Don't tell him though.
25-09-2009, 12:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-09-2009, 12:44 PM by El Gordo.)
(25-09-2009, 11:49 AM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Of course there really is no contest. Confused

I intend to sit on his tail around the Crawley 10k, and ghost past him in the final few yards. Don't tell him though.

Hmm, I see that my plans have fallen into enemy hands.... Angry

In all seriousness, I'm not certain about Crawley as I'm running out of time (just 3 weeks to go). I'm doing all the right things, but I need to lose another 10 pounds or so at least, to safely give it a good shot. I'm not going to risk injury. SP, on the the other hand, may not be especially race-fit, but his tennis triumph shows he's been cleverly concealing some sort of core fitness, and must have some stamina in there somewhere. But we'll see. I'll be pleased to do the 6.2 miles without struggling too much. Beating my old adversary would add some glee, but it's secondary. In the meantime, the gloating SP may find this training manual helpful: Click

But Brighton, 4 weeks later? Now that's a different thing. That will come at the end of 8 or 9 weeks training, and I'd hope to be firmly back in the saddle by then, and ready to crush the hopes of the great man. I would even offer him a bet. Let's say, whoever wins buys lunch for the other at Al Fresco...? It will save me having to take my wallet to Brighton.

As for Almeria and Connemara? Let's just say I've waited a long time to avenge his narrow 2005 victory in Almeria. 2010 is the year. Closure at last.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-09-2009, 01:06 PM,
(25-09-2009, 12:43 PM)El Gordo Wrote: ... Let's just say I've waited a long time to avenge his narrow 2005 victory in Almeria. 2010 is the year. Closure at last.

I'm enjoying this already!

Dodgy
Run. Just run.
25-09-2009, 01:18 PM,
All this jolly jovial jousting is actually quite motivating, and I’m determined to deny El G his much needed closure. With MLC as his cornerman and Sweder as mine, we all know there can only be one outcome.

The fact also that he’s already lining up the excuses for the Crawley 10K, have not gone unnoticed.

I’ve already banked more training runs than I did prior to Almería this year, and there are still three weeks to go. Cool
25-09-2009, 01:23 PM,
(25-09-2009, 01:18 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: I’ve already banked more training runs than I did prior to Almería this year, and there are still three weeks to go. Cool

Aha, as I thought. You crafty bugger!

Don't forget to enter Brighton. Are you accepting my bet?
El Gordo

25-09-2009, 02:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-09-2009, 02:06 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Quote:Don't forget to enter Brighton. Are you accepting my bet?

I have now. Wink

Not really sure you could live with the humiliation of traipsing up to the till to pay for my meal El G. So how about a donation by the loser of equalish value to JDRF instead? Smile
25-09-2009, 02:14 PM,
(25-09-2009, 02:05 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote:
Quote:Don't forget to enter Brighton. Are you accepting my bet?

I have now. Wink

Not really sure you could live with the humiliation of traipsing up to the till to pay for my meal El G. So how about a donation by the loser of equalish value to JDRF instead? Smile

Good suggestion. Let's say £20 to JDRF.
El Gordo

25-09-2009, 02:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-09-2009, 02:19 PM by Sweder.)
(25-09-2009, 01:18 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: With MLC as his cornerman and Sweder as mine, we all know there can only be one outcome.
Too right squire.
Brighton Marina, 09:00 Sunday.
See you there Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-09-2009, 11:55 PM,
(25-09-2009, 02:19 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(25-09-2009, 01:18 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: With MLC as his cornerman and Sweder as mine, we all know there can only be one outcome.
Too right squire.
Brighton Marina, 09:00 Sunday.
See you there Wink

I just snorked my breakfast out my nose. Now my laptop's all icky. Sad
Run. Just run.
01-10-2009, 09:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Work has gone mental this last week, so no runs for me lately. Am off on a golf jolly early Sunday morn, which El G will be delighted to know will involve copious imbibement (is that a word??) of Frenchie offerings. Looks like I'll be working most of Satrurday just to clear the decks before.

Two hours of sweat-laden tennis tonight was good, but I'm starting to feel the need to run. Big Grin Will take runners to France in the hope. Rolleyes
01-10-2009, 09:52 PM,
France, you say? You really must fill up on their rich creamy puddings, which are rumoured to offer the budding athlete great stores of energy. And don't stint on the Brie and Roquefort. Lovely with their succulent dessert wines which I can highly recommend. I urge you to take advantage of these culinary glories.
El Gordo

02-10-2009, 07:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2009, 07:10 AM by Sweder.)
You neglected to mention the 72 pints of Harvey's we're taking with us.
That'll keep you off that nasty, fattening French muck Wink

I'm taking my runners too; more in hope than expectation it must be said ...

02-10-2009, 08:26 AM,
(02-10-2009, 07:09 AM)Sweder Wrote: You neglected to mention the 72 pints of Harvey's we're taking with us.

Hurrah!
El Gordo

02-10-2009, 11:33 PM,
(02-10-2009, 07:09 AM)Sweder Wrote: You neglected to mention the 72 pints of Harvey's we're taking with us.

Each?
Run. Just run.
08-10-2009, 08:58 PM,
I must reconsider Sweder as my cornerman for this up and coming annihilation of El G at the Brighton 10K coming up in November… Dodgy

Last run was a relatively successful 4.5 miles along the trail between Crawley and East Grinstead last Saturday afternoon. Since then I’ve had to endure the last 4 days hacking around in the pissing rain in France with said cornerman. Frankly his mentoring has been woeful over the last few days.

The last morning of the trip had me scrabbling around as follows: woke up, showered, dressed, had buffet breakfast, made lunch (surreptitiously under the table over breakfast), packed, checked out of hotel, found car key holder on putting green, dumped bags in car, donned waterproofs, lumbered to first tee and hit the ball (either one will do) ……all in 45 minutes. Trust me. I don’t recommend it.

Some six hours previously we had stumbled into a gay nightclub (no we didn’t know but it was that only place open) and spent the time until it shut (sorry can’t recall) supping over-priced beer whilst gawping at the scene before us. Oh how I wish I had the steel of El G.

With Crawley 10K only 10 days away I still need to know that I can do the distance. Tomorrow is another day; one in which I will definitely get out there, following that up with a long run on Sunday.

Promise.
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(08-10-2009, 08:58 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: With Crawley 10K only 10 days away I still need to know that I can do the distance.

Relax, you'll be fine. If you can manage 4.5mi you can do 6. Sweder's just been doing stamina training with you, that's all. Somewhat unorthodox methodology, granted. I must have missed the "Drink Overpriced Beer in a Gay Bar" chapter of Jim Fixx's book, I think.

Best of luck at Crawley... though I don't think you're going to need it. Just remember to taper the gay bar visits the day night before the race.

Tongue
Run. Just run.
08-10-2009, 10:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2009, 10:36 PM by Sweder.)
In mitigation I never got to the gay club; I was back at the hotel working away, a sad man in a sad, soggy town. SPs' golf was remarkable given his return at first light, yet the odds have been slashed on an upset in Crawley; no man can take that kind of fiscal hammering - 9 euros per pint - and sleep properly.

The man certainly has a bovine constitution. Tough to beat in the same way that concrete bridge supports are tough to shift in bad weather. SP to claim a narrow win in Crawley. Brighton simply too close to call ...

09-10-2009, 08:31 AM,
(08-10-2009, 10:31 PM)Sweder Wrote: The man certainly has a bovine constitution. Tough to beat in the same way that concrete bridge supports are tough to shift in bad weather. SP to claim a narrow win in Crawley. Brighton simply too close to call ...

I am starting to agree re Crawley (see new entry, dated 8/10). I am struggling to lose enough lard in time, and am lowering my sights on that one. Brighton I feel happier about, as you can do a lot in 4 weeks. Almeria is the real contest of course, but it's good to have a couple of these one-day internationals before the test match.
El Gordo

09-10-2009, 09:19 AM,
(09-10-2009, 08:31 AM)El Gordo Wrote: I am starting to agree re Crawley (see new entry, dated 8/10). I am struggling to lose enough lard in time, and am lowering my sights on that one. Brighton I feel happier about, as you can do a lot in 4 weeks. Almeria is the real contest of course, but it's good to have a couple of these one-day internationals before the test match.

Genius - equate the contest to cricket and he'll be fast asleep before it starts Big Grin
Almeria (happily) seems a long way off. You're not the only one carrying an alarming winter storage surplus. I'm also worried about (to varying degrees) -

- back: prolapsed disc making a come-back
- right knee: not sound despite enforced rest
- core strength/ upper body: might take up (gulp) swimming

That last one is a seriously last resort. I can think of little to offer a more soul-destroying, mind-numbingly dull exercise experience. No SP, not even cricket.

09-10-2009, 09:28 AM,
(09-10-2009, 09:19 AM)Sweder Wrote:
(09-10-2009, 08:31 AM)El Gordo Wrote: I am starting to agree re Crawley (see new entry, dated 8/10). I am struggling to lose enough lard in time, and am lowering my sights on that one. Brighton I feel happier about, as you can do a lot in 4 weeks. Almeria is the real contest of course, but it's good to have a couple of these one-day internationals before the test match.

Genius - equate the contest to cricket and he'll be fast asleep before it starts Big Grin
Almeria (happily) seems a long way off. You're not the only one carrying an alarming winter storage surplus. I'm also worried about (to varying degrees) -

- back: prolapsed disc making a come-back
- right knee: not sound despite enforced rest
- core strength/ upper body: might take up (gulp) swimming

That last one is a seriously last resort. I can think of little to offer a more soul-destroying, mind-numbingly dull exercise experience. No SP, not even cricket.

You do seem to be carrying a fair bit of injury baggage. You may have already done this, but it sounds like you need to start seeing a physio/sports therapist regularly and develop a relationship. Holistic therapy and all that. Good luck. We need you to keep running Big Grin
El Gordo