Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new shoes
22-04-2008, 01:35 PM,
new shoes
was going to go for a run from work this lunchtime, got down to the gym changing rooom to find I had forgotten the essential kit item - my sports bra :-0 So thought I would log on here instead.

As my trusty Asics 2120's have done over 400 miles or so, it's time to introduce a new pair to the stable before they get really past their best.

Nothing is ever easy for me where running shoes are concerned, I think I've found the perfect sole mates only to find that the next time I need a pair that model has been phased out - and so it proved on Saturday morning when I drove over to Hyde to my favourite running shop (which has just been overtaken by Sweatshop but I suppose I won't hold that against them just yet.)

Asics 2120's have been replaced by the "improved" 2130's. For whom were they improved? For me they had been just right as they were. Some expert has seen fit to "improve" the heel cup and now the damn things are too tight for me around the heel, which is just what happened with New Balance 766's when they became the "improved" 767's.

I must say the shop were very helpful and I have bought a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. I tried them out on the treddy in the shop and then took them for a 5k test run on the treddy at the gym on the understanding that if I don't like them I can return them provided they are still in a clean condition which I suppose rules out a test run along the canal?

Might run at the gym this evening to have a gander at the Lverpuddle and Chelskie match.
Phew this is hard work !
23-04-2008, 07:10 AM,
new shoes
For what it's worth, I'm something of a convert to Brooks, sw. I really liked the various Asics I used to wear, but in general terms Brooks seem cheaper, sturdier and certainly much better off-road. My podiatrist also recommended them to me (among others I might add). I'm sticking to Brooks Vapors for the time being as they are great anywhere from treadmill to bush track, and much cheaper than anything comparable.

But as you say, just as you find something that works for you, the buggers go and change it. In that regard, I'm not sure Brooks are necessarily any better than Asics - time will tell.

Smile
Run. Just run.
23-04-2008, 08:23 AM,
new shoes
Indeed.

And some of us lardies are on the lookout for a new sports bra.Eek
23-04-2008, 10:32 AM,
new shoes
I switched to Brooks Adrenalines for TOM; they were OK but nothing feels as good as my old Adidas Adistars : ( I really liked the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 offies - my favorite pair of off-roaders, now in semi-retirement with over 800 miles on the clock Eek Again their 'new and improved' offies aren't a patch on 'em.

Some of the JSJers swear by Innov8 for mud 'n' hills so I'm looking into a pair*.
For my next roadies I'm looking at a return to Adidas but will take note of your try-out deal and see if I can get some of that.

[SIZE="1"]Cue the gag about a hole in the road; the police are said to be looking into it[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-04-2008, 01:08 PM,
new shoes
Gave the Brooks GTS 7's another bashing on the treddy last night, seem Ok, but won't really be able to tell properly until I get them slapping the pavements. Did notice that they seem quite high around the foot when I switched to the bike to pedal and watch the first half of the Chelskie/Liverbirds match, (none of the treddies have inbuilt tv screens but quite a lot of the cross trainers, steppers, bikes do) I think I felt them rub a little because the pedals are set quite wide on the static bikes so my feet were at an angle. I always get the urge to pedal faster when the game on screen gets a little faster - very silly. Ended by having a long swim, my very own private triathlon in reverse order.

Wish I could use Adidas, unfortunatley my size 4 feet a rather wide so Adidas, Saucony, Mizuno and a couple of others are a complete nono.

Good to hear that Brooks get a general thumbs up 'though Sweder and MLCM, thanks. I have though about getting a pair of off roaders, might invest in the future. Could be good to run on a more forgiving surface for a change.

I can recommend a good sports bra SP, if you're lucky you can even get one at a reduced price in TK Max Big Grin
Phew this is hard work !
13-05-2008, 03:50 PM,
new shoes
Brooks are settling in nicely, I particularly like the heel strike. The forefoot seemed a little firm to start with, but we are settling down amicably enough.

The last fortnight has seen some enjoyable runs, nothing too long or taxing, but satisfying. We were in Hay-on-Wye last weekend, and had a very enjoyable run aong the river and through the town before sliding into the swimming pool that was cunningly attached to our room at the rather good B & B ( breakfast was to die for.) Rather a lot of very good ale was tipped down parched throats plus the odd Pimms or two. Weather was exceptional and I only bought 18 books, three prints and a lovely old chair which I shall re-cane :-)

Only bad running experience was last Thursday evening when I was determined to run becuase I knoew there would be no opportunity on Friday, very hot and humid and I found breathing a real struggle. Throat and chest were very tight and uncomfortable.
Phew this is hard work !