hi everybody
21-02-2008, 05:35 AM,
hi everybody
hi, i am a new member of this forum. am delighted to join. was encouraged to join this forum when I read Sweders account of his running of the two oceans marathon in south africa.

i have been running marathons for 3 years now, and hope to complete the two oceans marathon in south africa on march 22nd. Would love to meet anybody from this forum who is also planning to be there. I got some great insights from Sweder for running the race and would be delighted if anyone else also has some advice.

regards

amit
21-02-2008, 01:22 PM,
hi everybody
In reading my account of the Two Oceans you have already displayed one of the essential components of a successful TOM; unusual stamina Big Grin

Please keep us posted on your training and of course the race itself.
It's one I hope to revisit, for it is truly a most beautiful and demanding event.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-02-2008, 01:51 PM,
hi everybody
Hello Amit;

You've taken-on an incredible challenge with the Two Oceans. Please keep us all informed of how your preparation is going and the race itself.

As a frequent visitor to Bombay (I was there last month) I'd be interested to know about your training and day-to-day life. I ran my only marathon there in 2006 and enjoyed it very much.
23-02-2008, 12:40 PM,
hi everybody
hello glaconman,

hi great to hear from you, i also ran the bombay marathon in 2006. that was my second marathon. i stay very near the beach and so most of my running is done on the compacted part of the beach. about once a week i do the long run on the road. i am training quite consientiously for the two oceans. really really want to finish. keep thinking that the clock will show 6:59:59 as the cross the line and my wife (who will have finished her 21 k) will be standing there taking a few photos as i run through. and then I will give her a big hug and perhaps start crying :o with joy

I own a company which manufacturers and installs skylights. I studied in the united states , was there for about 6 years, then joined GE , first in the US and then in Europe, (the netherlands) for another year before returning to india and starting my own company. And can you imagine that in all that time, i never ran. was studying near boston and had no clue about the boston marathon and had no thought of running. --- somehow the things that slip by in life without us noticing them.

what would i not give now to run in boston. will never happen, not in this lifetime. anyway i started running just three years ago, have completed 4 marathons and one half marathon, and now want to complete the two oceans .I have also registered for the san diego marathon on the 1st of june and before the end of 2009 want to run a 100 k. (God willing, after all, a lot depends on HIS whim)

I love to cycle and trek in the mountains around bombay (about 2 hours away)
When are you back in bombay ? would be delighted to meet up.

amit
23-02-2008, 11:11 PM,
hi everybody
Welcome Amit.

The site's in the doldrums at the moment, but don't let that put you off. We are cyclical people.

I'm interested that you say you live in Bombay rather than Mumbai. I've been to the Big B/M a couple of times, but only as a stopover Spent a couple of days there.

We'd love some updates on your training, and I hope we can offer some useful advice, or failing that, some encouragement at least Smile .
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-02-2008, 12:37 PM,
hi everybody
amit Wrote:what would i not give now to run in boston. will never happen, not in this lifetime.

We should talk about that Amit; I may be able to help you with that Wink
By the way, I fully intend to return to the Two Oceans in 2009. It may be that Bombay is the perfect marathon to take on before Cape Town. Lets keep in touch about that.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-02-2008, 05:18 AM,
hi everybody
hi, i have read that this is a gun to gun event (old mutual two oceans marathon).

being a slow runner i shall be starting at the fag end of the pack and it might be a few minutes before i reach the start line. so will they not look at the chip timings to calculate the 7 hours. if God runs the race for me, i might just finish in 6:59:59. i cannot afford to loose those minutes at the start. so can somebody explain whether it is 7 hours of net time or just total time from the gun Sad

thanks
amit
25-02-2008, 10:43 AM,
hi everybody
If God runs the race for you there'll be no need for you to train. Wink

I suspect however that this will not be the case and you'll have to run it yourself. Hope this helps.