Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sep - Firling lucky
12-09-2007, 07:18 PM,
Sep - Firling lucky
A 20k race planned with Sunday crew on the 12th. Should be fun - I know there's one bitch of a climb out of Alfriston.

Starts @ Firle Place nr. Lewes - hope the weather remains fine.

A step down in mileage this week, still with a sore achilles and troublesome calf, I'm pleased just to able to complete the long ones.
Keeping my eye on the bigger prize of Beachy Head and my fourth Marathon this year.
Moyleman
24-09-2007, 07:14 PM,
Sep - Firling lucky
A slightly belated post, have been lacklustre of late and been less then motivated to blog.

A lovely canter @ Firle with the JSJers on the 16th, an undulating 20k with no medal @ the finish but some pre-start goodies.

This is only the 2nd year of running the event and a mighty fine one too. Certainly one to go in the race calendar with Autumn marathons abound.

A nice flatish 7k start along the old coach track from Firle to quaint ol'
Alfriston - the sun was beating down on us along the parched track.
Then a nasty climb, bypassing the village up to the South Downs Way - it meets up with the descent into Alfriston from the Seaford half.

A long ridge trail, gustily blown about back towards Firle Beacon and beyond another 8k, doubling back a couple of clicks for a 3k descent back to Firle house.

The calf was playing me up again, bloody limbs, a story of sound fitness at the moment but the body is falling to bits.
The great Sweder caught me at the bottom of this wild descent and was going like the clappers to catch this bloke he had been tracking all the way around - he managed to catch him in a sprint finish with me lagging some 200m behind. A decent enough race, about 1:50ish - but with my calf it was kill or cure.

Sunday 23rd

A lovely morning greeted us JSJers @ the Marina - a debate over distance and we shuffled off - felt fine @ Saltdean bogs. My suggestion of a Tye route was greeted warmly, hadn't covered this ground for a while.

We pushed on at a good pace, others opting to do the wire and back - 12k.
Steadily we ran on to the NF and YBR - my right quad started playing up on the steady ascent and suggested the lefthand turn for the lovely vista and sharp descent to the snake trail. Luckily everyone was in accord and we once again enjoyed the magnificent views as we sped to the reservoir road.

Struggled up the snake, the quad giving me serious gip. I certainly had to opt for the short road home, had hoped to do the Road back into Rottingdean as its on the JSJ race. I need to get a good long one in next week 17-19 miles in preparation, with a taper the following week - albeit Lewes 10 miler on Sweder's home turf (nice if the old boy could make this one, he reckons he just might with all his jetsetting).

Sped down the East Brighton Park trail in Sweders wake - he's really showing good form @ the mo. despite having no immediate races lined up.
A quick cafe stop and another week over.

Here's to next week and another glorious Downs outing
Moyleman