Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
200708 - Getting worse
16-08-2007, 11:38 AM,
200708 - Getting worse
No, not being negative. This isn't an 'attitude' this time.

I woke up on Tuesday morning with a 4 mile run pencilled in on my schedule. Began to clamber out of bed, and was immediately aware of a sharp pain in my left knee. So bad that I couldn't bend it. Sad

Eventually I eased my way onto my feet and limped towards the stairs. Getting down them was quite a struggle. I couldn't put any weight at all on my left knee, so had to sort of hop down, one step at a time.

Fast forward 3 days, to today. The simple truth is that it's still really bad. I can now get up and down the stairs much more easily, but I think this is more to do with having developed an effective technique, rather than an improvement in the underlying problem.

Confused I'm at a loss to know what's happened here. I've never had trouble with knees. Calf muscles, yep, and both big toes have tormented me from time to time. But the bigger joints -- ankles and knees -- have been kind to me. So I can't understand what's going on. Last week, I did step into a hole while out with the running club, but apart from some temporary discomfort with my left ankle, there seemed to be no lasting problem, and certainly nothing knee-ational.

Looking at it now, there's no swelling, no discolouration, just a sharp pain when I press the knee-cap, or when I bend the joint more than a few inches.

Hmmm. No running, needless to say, and just about zero chance of doing the Burnham Beeches Half on Sunday.

I'm puzzled rather than gloomy about it.

Further bulletins to follow, you'll be excited to hear....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-08-2007, 01:14 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Get yourself to the dr's or to a good sports physio for them to diagnose the problem, refer you for an x-ray etc. then follow their advice to the letter. Hopefully the problem will subside as quickly as it arrived.

I expect you have done the usual ice and ibuprofen stuff already?

nice little check list for diagnosis

http://saveyourself.ca/eBooks/runners-kn...=gcusk11-1

I expect you have already seen this one

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/artic...33&v=1&sp=

Really , really bad luck Andy, but nil corborundum as they say. I have every confidence tha you will bounce back.
16-08-2007, 01:28 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Hi SW

Thanks for the info -- I appreciate your concern. To be honest, I haven't bothered with the "ice and ibuprofen stuff" as it isn't especially swollen. I was sorta expecting it to just go away after a day, but it hasn't.

I hadn't particularly planned to visit the docs or physio yet. Not sure what they could say at this stage. I think I'll give it till the end of the weekend.

My main concern is that I don't seem particularly concerned... What does this mean? Eek
El Gordo

16-08-2007, 02:00 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Probably means that you have a lot of other things going on in your life at the momentSmile
Do try the ice and ibuprofen ‘though, I’ve had runners knee and there is no swelling involved. You might even be able to compete at the weekend. Eek
16-08-2007, 02:03 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
OK Mum, as I'm working from home, I'll go and get me frozen peas right now...
El Gordo

16-08-2007, 02:22 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Big Grin that's my boy!
16-08-2007, 02:52 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Best of luck with your injury, Andy! It´s really amazing the way it started.

Let´s hope that you get better soon.

16-08-2007, 03:18 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Thanks Antonio. I'm not really sure if it's an "injury" at all. A bit like sometimes when you sleep awkwardly and wake up with a sore neck. I don't know if this is that sort of thing, or something more serious. The weird thing is that I can't actually link it to any incident. I think that's why I'm hoping it might just vanish the way it appeared, though maybe I'm being complacent. Anyway, I'm trying SW's ice suggestion at the moment and we'll see what happens. Ho hum.
El Gordo

16-08-2007, 06:22 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
a very common side effect of certain gynaecological operations is a sore left shoulder.

Dunno whyConfused

But perhaps a sore knee is an unexpected side effect of something you've been doing Andy. :RFLMAO:

Best of luck pal.
16-08-2007, 07:06 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Seafront Plodder Wrote:a very common side effect of certain gynaecological operations is a sore left shoulder.

You think I may be pregnant?

Eek
El Gordo

17-08-2007, 09:54 AM,
200708 - Getting worse
Quote:You think I may be pregnant?

What? Again?
:o
20-08-2007, 12:01 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
The suspense is killing me.

What news, o be-pained one?
Run. Just run.
20-08-2007, 08:20 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Thanks for asking, MLCM.

It's OK.

Full bulletin tomorrow.

Much has been happening.
El Gordo

21-08-2007, 07:45 AM,
200708 - Getting worse
Wow, the full soap opera in a matter of minutes here in catch-up city.
Ooh, don't mention 'City' . . . Sad

Good to hear the strange knee-lurghie may be on the way out.
And as for the 'relaxed' attitude to what may have been a nasty injury . . . I shouldn't worry about that. It can come as a relief when we know we can't run for a while; we might even kid ourselves that we welcome the opportunity to give it a rest, take a break from the merciless master. I'm pretty sure you'd have got upset with it before long. About the same time you could no longer see your feet without bending double Wink

I'll try to catch the update though getting online involves a journey into town, something expressly reserved for the purchase of croissants, pain au raisin, pain au chocolate and reserves of Pineau Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

21-08-2007, 09:13 AM,
200708 - Getting worse
Yah, Andy, as you always says, everybody deserves a resting periode and you should wait until your knee get better. Do not gardering at all also for a while...
Send us the doctor's report as soon as possible.

PS: Regarding your pregnancy, I have no doubt that you will be an excelent mother Eek
Ana Smile
21-08-2007, 09:19 PM,
200708 - Getting worse
Sorry guys, I did produce a few paragraphs this morning but then IE crashed and I lost it, along with the will to live.

Very briefly, the knee is OK. It returned to life on Saturday but I've done no running. A wedding on Friday, a funeral yesterday, and formal offer of new job today have kept my alcohol levels well topped up.

It's Marathon Training Nightmare: Take 4. Or is it Take 5?

I've no option. Just have to wind myself up again and hope for the best. The good bits of news are the knee, and the job offer. The latter may create a bit more clarity to help my general mood.

Will aim to flesh this out a bit in the next day or so.
El Gordo

22-08-2007, 08:36 AM,
200708 - Getting worse
Well, if I can make a choice, I take the phrase "the knee is OK". These are great news, Andy, cause, knees injuries dissapoints always so much!

TV news are always reporting the terrible sommer in UK, allways raining and storms, and so on. It must be difficult to find the energy for going out training.
Ok, don't give up and stay exactly how you are (a wine expert? noooo, I'm jocking, as always Wink )
Ana Smile
22-08-2007, 09:22 AM,
200708 - Getting worse
I´m very glad that your knee is OK, Andy. It´s surprising the way the pain started and ended. Congratulations on your new job as well.

I expect you can go on with your training and finish Dublin marathon. By the way, I´m thinking of going to Brighton 10 km on 18th November. Are there many forumites interested in doing it and going to the post race meal?

Unfortunately, there are no flights to Gatwick with Easyjet in the winter season, so I´d have to go to Stanstead on Saturday morning and return on Monday morning from Stanstead as well.

Saludos desde Almería

22-08-2007, 09:44 AM,
200708 - Getting worse
Ripper news about the knee, cobber. Hope the new j*b is everything you hoped for, too.

Things are looking up, yes?
Run. Just run.
22-08-2007, 10:17 AM,
200708 - Getting worse
Worth logging on for this news alone.
Good stuff, on both fronts.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  200708 -Getting better El Gordo 7 4,202 14-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Nick
  200708 El Gordo 20 9,145 09-08-2007, 10:55 PM