Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June
01-06-2007, 08:25 PM,
June
Glad to see the back of May - started with a marathon - ended with a whimper.

The calf was unwrapped this evening - probably over rested.

Anyway Kings of Leon kept me company on my sojourn into the great outdoors for my 5mileish pavement constitutional.

All in all a great 40 mins in gorgeous weather - my blood vessels tingling after the layoff.

Roll on the downs and Seaford Sunday.

Track du Jour - "Knocked up" by aforementioned band - fantastic riff throughout and great nasely twanged voice.
Moyleman
01-06-2007, 08:38 PM,
June
Got mugged again.

Up tomorrow really early doors. Supporting the laydees of B&H athletic club on their endeavours - I am jealous.

Need a team of 6 old farts, sorry veteran runners - sure we can organise for next year.

A 15 -> 18 stage 80 mile hike from Eastbourne to Winchester.

Hope I get back in time to recover for Seaford.

Anyway, keeping old mucker 'Le soft' Alan company on the minibus driving side of things.
Moyleman
03-06-2007, 04:39 PM,
June
Up at the ungodly hour of 4am, my task, navigator for the Brighton and Hove Ladies team running this demanding challenge. Approx. 96 miles between Eastbourne and Winchester in 18 stages.

Met the crew @ Withdean stadium - good friend 'soft' Alan, driving the minibus.

Start Beachy Head, Eastbourne. 46 teams of six with staggered starts between 6am and 9am, every half hour. The ladies had opted for the 6am start as it gave them the most time for finishing. There was also a cutoff @ the end of stage 15 at 6:45pm.

A runner from each team had to carry a baton on their stage, these are spaced out on the South Downs way between 3.5 to 8 miles. Each stage finishing at a convenient place on route for the support vehicles to park up and get the next runner prepped for their leg.
Where there was a particularly busy road finish it became a 2 baton changeover. The finishing runner stopping across the road from the next one who then carried another supplied baton.

It was a day for concentration and immersion in the event. I worked out the route a couple of stages in advance as we were driving. Not particularly hard up until half way as that was at Washington, just past Steyning. I knew the running routes and roads circumventing these to get to the next stage.

Once we got into extreme West Sussex / Hampshire it got trickier as I decided to use scenic routes - 1 track roads to get to our destination speedily. It worked well - each runner having plenty of time to prepare for their changeover. Some roads were particularly rutted and difficult to negotiate - Alan did a brilliant job driving all day.

We also took in some fantastic scenery as we got into Hampshire - picture postcard photos. I'd wished I had taken my running boots to accompany them on a couple of legs.

Got caught out on one stage, lost my concentration. I'd been frazzled in the sun waiting on a longish leg for the next runner and negotiating to the next stage we went the wrong way 3 times - but I realised my mistakes quickly and we got back on track.

The girls were great, vocal and humourous all day. It was a pleasure and
they ended up finishing in about 14hrs 15mins - beating last years time by an hour.

Finished off with a lovely meal at Chilcomb sports ground. A Guiness only the original can variety on offer - bah! horrible stuff.

The Brighton Men's vets had a classy team and won in 10hrs 45mins, beating their nearest rivals by 12 mins. They got the Vets cup, the overall trophy and a medal - a good haul by them.

One race, despite the shortness of the stages to put on my wishlist.
Need a Brighton 'B' team for next year - entrance however is invitation only.

Will have to twist a few arms !
Moyleman
03-06-2007, 05:13 PM,
June
After a deep sleep following a 20hr day yesterday. I dragged my sorry carcass up at 7am for this glorious run. Becoming a favourite on my calendar despite the arduous terrain.

Fantastic weather beckoned as I picked up Remy and Gill from Patcham @ 8.
Got to our destination in plenty of time to pick up our numbers and swap banter with Ash, Rog, Stevio and Irish Mike. Finally met the (in)famous SP, still resting.

Kick off @ 9, a very lowkey send off and we were away.
Set off at a fair old lick with another 2 Brighton ladies, Cathy and Amanda.
Managed to avoid the bottleneck up the ascent at 2 miles to a gate, still single file for a way after that but was able to maintain a good pace for the first 5, one bugger of a long hill later - the ladies had left me for dead.

My right calf hasn't fully recovered and I had to ease off the gas, between 5 and 10 along the Cuckmere river. I started to flag - it was hot, hot, hot. Not quite in South Africas league, but nor far off. Despite having fluid, I doused myself and drank plenty at each station - took 2 gels on board today, needed them.

Plodded from mile 10, walked up the next stiff climb and hit some road up to Seaford Head golf course - met by SP, a gripe at my calf, a photo posed, another dousing and I espied GB Rog-air within touching distance. The lord's spring in his step.
Crikey, better get a shift on - Habbakuk Harriers hot on my tail. Sped up over the path skirting the golf course down the sharp descent back into Seaford and hit the esplanade. Shifting gear again to run the long finish in and pipped Rog by a few seconds.

Around 2hrs, which was a good days outing on this hilly affair - nursing my calf at present.

Got Kader tomorrow (Ming the Merciless), Algerian masseur supreme to work his magic on my appendages.

Another race done and dusted, next stop Dorney Dash and a little matter of a 50th birthday bash to attend. My 40th this year and I aim to hopefully, like Andy celebrate it in some style come November.

Brighton 10K beckons then, hopefully I'll be a much sharper, fitter, springier MM by then. A PB for my birthday would be good, ha! 39:50 is going to be extremely tough to beat 10 years on from when I set it.
Moyleman
03-06-2007, 10:46 PM,
June
Nice one, Moyleman, and thanks for the report. Two hours on that course, in this heat, is really good, especially after the day before you had. Let's hope it's inspired SP to dust off his training schedule for Almeria. I need him there to ensure I don't finish last.

It'll be good to meet up at Dorney though it's probably as far from the TOM and even Seaford as a race can be, in terms of style. Both times I've done the Brighton 10K I've been even more out of shape than usual, and have turned in horrendous times. Nice event though, with a good meal to look forward to at Alfresco. I'm up for a 40th celebration this time around, and would also hope to be turning in a much better time than last year. If all goes to plan I should have done the Dublin Marathon 3 or 4 weeks earlier, so should have a lot more running in my legs. Late November is a much more civilised climate for running too. Sub-40 will be a tough target for you, especially as the race gets crowded, but it's a flat and fast course, so who knows? Personally, I'll be happy to get round within an hour this time.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-06-2007, 01:05 PM,
June
Nice one Moyley... again I get to toast your success in Guinness. You are the man. Smile
Run. Just run.
06-06-2007, 03:18 PM,
June
Thanks MLC man, Andy.

Had a lunchtime rehydration session today. Thinking of you guys labouring away.

I'm calf resting - Time for a lay down. Power nap, what you will.

Before the Footie - come on Ingerrrland. Big Grin
Moyleman
08-06-2007, 09:09 PM,
June
Great work Moyleman...

Don't envy you...hills and heat what an excellent time though.
10-06-2007, 04:43 PM,
June
A great morning beckoned - Sweder popped round for this lovely route out to Devils Dyke and back. We picked up 'Soft' Al on route.

An initial trundle, trying my best to pathfind through the woods at the back of Patcham Place. We finally picked up the trail to the windmill, on the market at the moment for nearly a 'mill', ha!

Took the long, dusty gradual incline upto the Dyke - a good few miles. A few bikers, dog walkers out in the glorious sunshine. We were all cooking up (note to self - require some decent wicking vests that also hide midriff), perspiration flowing freely and easily.

We caught our breath at the top - Ash taking some breathtaking photos with the Dyke as backdrop.

We dropped down along the side, coming out in Poynings. Unfortunately my knowledge of the route back was sketchy, we were forced onto the road, with little or no pavement for a good mile or so.

We finally wound our way back up to Saddlescombe, one tough little ascent later and we were homeward bound. Carving our way thorugh the fields and back down the flinty trails to the Waterhall playing fields. Saying our farewells to Alan - a tired looking, done in fella.
Still, hopefully this will provide the impetus, springboard for his Berlin endeavours at the end of September.

Ash came back for a shower, tea, water and recovery - his missus came to pick him up. "Have a good afternoon", I said - he had to mow the lawn, cook the roast and then perhaps chill - no rest for the wicked then, eh! Eek

A hard earned ten miler in the bank. Need to come up with a route for next week, hmmm.
Moyleman
17-06-2007, 01:07 PM,
June
Almost called it off – 8:30 raincheck – a quick call to soft Al.

We deferred for an hour. 9:30 came, we set off and fortunately, the heavens stayed closed.

We trudged up the tank track at the back of Patcham – a stiff climb at the end, had forgotten about that one.

Another little ascent to Ditchling Road, caught some riders coming down for the London to Brighton.

Crossed over and down a lovely road descent into Stanmer park. All those trudges to the Marina and I have this on my doorstep. Will have to alternate routes on a far more regular basis.

Caught Tracy Whittle walking the dogs – “Nice view” she called out as we sped past. The breathing now settling into rhythm with our stride.

Ash, would love this route I thought – will drag him along some day.

Another trail later, another couple of stiff ascents aside and we reached Ditchiling Beacon. The Zenith nay pinnacle of the L 2 B bike ride – these riders had suffered, catching most of the morning rain.

A busy crossing and we headed over and amongst the cyclists and carried on our way – a lot of mountain bikers out on this route. We trailed over towards the A23, never quite reaching it.

We came along a stunning trail through carpet like grass fields, with their twin tractor paths etched in. Reminded me of some of the stunning countryside in Hampshire on the South Downs relay a few weeks back.

Headed back downwards along a lovely route, alongside the Chattri – a memorial to our colonial brothers that died during the first world war.

Back down to the back of Patcham – a sweaty heaving couple of blobs – but satisfied nonetheless, 11miles banked in about 1:45mins, a few walk/drink breaks included.

4 sodden feet but elated hearts – I had had a slack week and I felt back in business, a bit lighter, a morning well spent.
Moyleman
17-06-2007, 09:41 PM,
June
Moyleman Wrote:Almost called it off – 8:30 raincheck – a quick call to soft Al.

We deferred for an hour. 9:30 came, we set off and fortunately, the heavens stayed closed.

We trudged up the tank track at the back of Patcham – a stiff climb at the end, had forgotten about that one.

Another little ascent to Ditchling Road, caught some riders coming down for the London to Brighton.

Crossed over and down a lovely road descent into Stanmer park. All those trudges to the Marina and I have this on my doorstep. Will have to alternate routes on a far more regular basis.

Caught Tracy Whittle walking the dogs – “Nice view” she called out as we sped past. The breathing now settling into rhythm with our stride.

Ash, would love this route I thought – will drag him along some day.

Another trail later, another couple of stiff ascents aside and we reached Ditchiling Beacon. The Zenith nay pinnacle of the L 2 B bike ride – these riders had suffered, catching most of the morning rain.

A busy crossing and we headed over and amongst the cyclists and carried on our way – a lot of mountain bikers out on this route. We trailed over towards the A23, never quite reaching it.

We came along a stunning trail through carpet like grass fields, with their twin tractor paths etched in. Reminded me of some of the stunning countryside in Hampshire on the South Downs relay a few weeks back.

Headed back downwards along a lovely route, alongside the Chattri – a memorial to our colonial brothers that died during the first world war.

Back down to the back of Patcham – a sweaty heaving couple of blobs – but satisfied nonetheless, 11miles banked in about 1:45mins, a few walk/drink breaks included.

4 sodden feet but elated hearts – I had had a slack week and I felt back in business, a bit lighter, a morning well spent.

A little rain threatening your run? I'm disappointed, Moyleman. Thought you would have relished it.

But you reinvented yourself again, so all is well. 11 miles when no race has a gun to your head is pretty decent. Well done. Better than me (4 miles + 4 hours of gardening).

Is Tracy Whittle famous?

The reference to Ditchling Beacon sent a chill down my spine. I did the London to Brighton in around 1985, when I lived in Clapham. Hadn't ridden a bike for more than 10 years or so at the time, so the 65-ish miles to Brighton were, let's say, somewhat uncomfortable towards the later stages. Ditchling Beacon is a hill I recall with some anxiety.

The great Nigel was doing the L-B today.

Anyway, good lope Moyleman.
El Gordo

18-06-2007, 07:12 PM,
June
Much as I enjoy the rain. It worked out the sensible option, it was truly bucketing it down.

Tracy Whittle is famous enough in these parts, one-time runner - poor lass is getting over a nasty bout of ME and making a sterling recovery at that.

It was a bit of deja-vu, I'm sure she was out doing the same walk many moons ago, when me and Al last ventured out into that part of the world.

Anyway, lazy evening this day - my excuse, moving a load of IT kit about today.
Managed to stretch and do some ab work with the girlfriend and a ballet DVD. God they are bendy - I just couldn't keep up.
Flopped and managed to do some slower stretching, abdominals at my own pace.

Have a 10 miler planned for Wednesday - this couple, part of the running club, have an anniversary run. Southwick to Peter Pan's and back. nice!!
Moyleman
18-06-2007, 08:12 PM,
June
Moyleman Wrote:Managed to stretch and do some ab work with the girlfriend

Wink
El Gordo

23-06-2007, 10:54 AM,
June
A belated post, had a busy week schlepping about Sussex with my job at the mo. But managed to squeeze one run in this week.

A sprightly run to be had Weds. night 7:30 kick off.

A wedding anniversary 5 or 10 miler down @ Shoreham beach, harbour. Cathy and Tom Ulliot have been holding it the last few years and it's a great informal get together to celebrate their occasion and our passion.

I plumped for the 5, started near Carat's cafe, right near the power station.
I know sounds glamourous - just think Gdansk, loads of concrete, shipping crates, beach to the right with enormous rocks acting as a sea break.

These surroundings spurred me on at a fair old lick, no scenery to admire, just a mile & 1/2 of road until Hove Lagoon and the prom - half way.

I hate out and back runs - quite tough on the psyche when you have to revisit a part of the run, especially the road home through these less than salubrious surroundings.

Passed some seasoned runners, going along at a canter. I kicked again, the first half 'til the turn flew by. Of course the majority were doing the 10 miles and so were cautiously easing along.

I got caught just after the turn by Kev Bush, flying along, strapped up at the knee - nothing of him, quite beany. Tried to keep him in sight and ended up finishing a minute down. 5 miles covered in 35 minutes, spittle and nose effluent flying out, I eased down like a thoroughbred that had just run its heart out :RFLMAO:

I came in second, blimey I had pushed it hard – but I felt real good. If you want to run faster, you have to run faster, the old adage goes. I want to get out of the plodding state that I’m too used to.

Now I just need to get my act together and not only run faster but more frequently. The long, tough road starts here – next weekend Andy’s 10K and Bewl 14 the day after, can’t wait.
Moyleman
23-06-2007, 09:40 PM,
June
Moyleman Wrote:I hate out and back runs - quite tough on the psyche when you have to revisit a part of the run, especially the road home through these less than salubrious surroundings.

Me too.

I really like running along the canal near where I live -- it's scenic, tranquil, and of course traffic-free. But turning round and doing it all again is always hard.
El Gordo

24-06-2007, 05:22 PM,
June
There was no putting off the start time this week, a constant downpour I couldn't avoid.

Met up with Al at the fire engine 9:15. This week we were joined by Clare, Lou and Suzie - Al's other half. It was great to have the ladies company, kept us guys at a steady courteous training pace.

We covered the same route as last week, the weather however being drastically different. The girls chattering kept us amused, a cheerful bunch despite the rain. The 11 miles flew by in about 1:50, was drenched but felt stronger on from last week. All bodes well for the 2 races and 20 miles to cover next weekend - Hope the sun's out though

Looking forward to catching up with fellow bloggers.Smile
Moyleman