Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May. No... will.
10-05-2007, 07:49 PM,
May. No... will.
Thanks to Andy for his 6th May post - inspiring, and a timely wake-up call. I've stepped off the train - at least for a fortnight. For the next two weeks, I will run six days a week.

This year so far, Life has been too busy to fit in any running of note. I toyed with an autumn marathon, but I can't commit to regular long, or even medium, runs. Not a sensible plan. So I'll start with little and often, and see where it takes me.

I know a fortnight is a pathetic length of time - it was a month, but then I remembered two weeks of travelling to Cambridge with work. I prefer to travel up and down each day, working on the train and at least showing my face at home, but with 5 hours a day travelling the numbers don't add up. Any suggestions for exercises that can be done on a train will be gratefully received.

I kicked off tonight, with 2.5 miles of suburban plod, in refreshingly steady rain. Lovely.
10-05-2007, 08:47 PM,
May. No... will.
Good to hear you've got out there, Dan. Don't beat yourself up about lack of time -- you've had a lot on your plate these last few months. As you found this evening, a snatched half hour here and there can be a great way of working a bit of stress out of your system. As long as you can maintain that sort of tick-over state, I'm sure you'll be able to step it up at any point if you see a race you fancy.

I'm aiming to do the Burnham Beeches Half this year (August 19), which I last did in 2002. You might want to think about that one. It's likely to be hot, but it's a nice race, and there are usually a few activities going on for the kiddies. DOn't forget the Dorney 10K on June 30 too, if you're around.

Do keep us updated.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-05-2007, 09:45 AM,
May. No... will.
2 and a half miles in the bag, and I bet you'll be able to sneak in a few more before long. How about planning your training schedule on the train journey or reading some inspiring running literature, Andy seems to have some good recommendations.
11-05-2007, 04:08 PM,
May. No... will.
Welcome back Dan. How's that lovely family of yours?
Like the people said, don't beat yourself up.
Just getrting out the door now and then can be a major triumph in these unforgiving times.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-05-2007, 11:13 AM,
May. No... will.
Yeah, go for it Dan.

Unless we all suddenly succumb to a massive bout of hypocrisy, I can promise you shan't be castigated for a lack of training! Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
15-05-2007, 11:49 AM,
May. No... will.
Hi everyone, it's nice to be back. Unfortunately when I said "For the next two weeks, I will run six days a week", it seems I meant "will" in the sense of "wish or desire" rather than "am (is, are, etc.) going to"... But no matter. Train, schmain. Self-flagellation will be banned.

Sweder Wrote:How's that lovely family of yours?
I could wax lyrical... and therein lies the cause of all this. I have more fun (and important) things to do right now.

But since you ask... Naomi is 1 in a couple of weeks and heading for her first steps (and as we all know, every marathon starts with the first step). Luke got a chess set for his 4th birthday and is nearly up to RC league standard already. He needs an athletic role model to get him out of the house... AHA!

SW thanks for the suggestions - I've set my laptop to synchronise the RC forum for offline reading. That's the most inspiring running literature there is!
19-07-2007, 11:38 AM,
May. No... will.
Not too much to report, but I am now getting out at least weekly, and very much enjoying it when I do.

At the end of June, the family had a week in the Isle of Wight. I quickly discovered a pleasant half-hour out-and-back from our holiday park to the Bembridge lifeboat station. The weather was generally drizzly, but always seemed to clear in the evenings, making the route all the more enjoyable.

At the half-way point, it was impossible not to stop - part panting, part gawping - to enjoy the view across the Solent, lights glowing in the grey distance, as cross-channel ferries tanked past on their way to France.

This experience has reminded me how nice it is to run in the countryside - I'm normally a surburban tarmac-hound - so I'm now diverting my regular runs into some leafy lanes.

This weekend we're off to Center Parcs in Suffolk, so I should find the time for some decent plods in pleasant surroundings.

And I've just entered the Burham Beeches half - 4 weeks away Eek - so I need to get in at least a 60-90 minute run weekly, plus a midweek loosener. I'll be in no real shape for the race, but it should be a nice outing and will hopefully keep the motivation bubbling.

Generally, I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that I don't have time for serious running at the moment. Conclusion: enjoy what I can, and don't pine too much for the days when the kids will be old enough to amuse themselves - that will come all to quickly.

Which reminds me - I took Luke (4) for his first few training runs recently. We'd had a family outing to Apex Sports to replace my FLM05-vintage Asics (don't worry - they hadn't seen much action since then - but after about 700 miles I was starting to get back pain, and the time was obviously right), and what better way to road-test them than next to Luke's £1.99 plimsolls?

We've been out for a few outings, of a bit under a mile, and he takes the run / walk philosophy to new extremes - also throwing in skipping, whooping, arm-waving, and stopping to stroke cats.

As he himself would say: fablious.
19-07-2007, 10:26 PM,
May. No... will.
marathondan Wrote:Generally, I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that I don't have time for serious running at the moment. Conclusion: enjoy what I can, and don't pine too much for the days when the kids will be old enough to amuse themselves - that will come all to quickly.

Great to hear you're still active marathondan and that's a healthy atitude you've got there. Young Luke sounds like one to watch out for. Why not set up a training diary for him ?...Wink
Hope the half marathon goes well. Don't forget to tell us about it.
20-07-2007, 12:03 PM,
May. No... will.
I'll second that. In my experience it's all very well having running goals, but maintaining a healthy balance in your life is more important. Sounds like you're striking that pretty well Smile
24-07-2007, 09:37 AM,
May. No... will.
As hoped, I managed an hour around Center Parcs, to kick off some semblance of preparation for a half marathon in 4 weeks time. Tragically, this was the longest I’d run since the Marlow half back in November.

So mentally it was a bit of an undertaking. As recently documented by Guru MLCMan, within a few minutes daily cares had slipped from my mind, and my focus was on self. Self-centred. Self-absorbed. Is this a good philosophy? Only in moderation.

Anyway, it was accomplished quite satisfactorily. The mental side was dealt with by breaking the run into tenths and checking progress on the watch, On the physical side, hammies made their presence felt after a while, but not in a bad way. Hips and back, which have given some cause for concern recently, were fine. Next day I welcomed the stiff joints like old friends.

-- ~ --

Speaking of old friends: thanks for the positive comments, chaps!
24-07-2007, 10:39 AM,
May. No... will.
Dan, great to see you back out there.
Glaconman's right - running has its place in life but it must nestle comfortably alongside the more important stuff. Luke sounds fablious Big Grin My own 'little lad' is away for the summer, running a bar on a Greek island. Enjoy every day.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-07-2007, 06:20 AM,
May. No... will.
Yeah, good to see you back, Dan. I've had the BB Half on my calendar for months and still hope to be there.
El Gordo

03-08-2007, 09:56 PM,
May. No... will.
I was working in Cambridge this week, so being summer hols, the whole family came up and stayed with my parents in the Fens. It was gentleman's hours for me (8.00 start instead of the usual 6.30) so I managed a couple of 6am 4ish-milers around the village. I'm not used to running on no fuel, so it was a bit of a shock to the system, but the weather was fabulous - an already-hot sun and a lingering near-full moon facing each other down across the brilliant clear sky. Well worth setting the alarm for - the glow lasted all day.

Would-be track du jour...

Sad looks like Burham Beeches half may be in doubt due to family commitments. Might just have to run a 13-miler on my own. Preparations so far aren't exactly fantastic, but I'm at least feeling like I could complete such a distance.
03-08-2007, 10:20 PM,
May. No... will.
marathondan Wrote:Would-be track du jour...

You've not got a bad voice, Dan, don't worry.
El Gordo

03-08-2007, 11:06 PM,
May. No... will.
Andy Wrote:You've not got a bad voice, Dan, don't worry.
No, I have. That's not me. Link. Interesting chap.
11-09-2007, 09:43 AM,
May. No... will.
The first time I’ve put together three runs in a week since goodness knows when – the aforementioned briquette, plus a couple of steady suburban 5-milers. Nothing spectacular, but this might be the start of a trend. The nights are drawing in, and nocturnal plodding somehow seems more natural. It’s nice to welcome back the familiar cycle... enthusiasm, dread, resolve, shock to the system, steady rhythm, cresting the halfway point, final slog, endorphin high, deep sleep, aches and pains, recovery.

I’ve an eye on a couple of half marathons, plus Brighton... who knows, I might just get into some sort of shape for them.
15-09-2007, 07:46 PM,
May. No... will.
Two races entered!

Something called the HCG 10k on 30th Sept at Dorney - thanks to Runner's World's monthly events email for bringing that one to my attention.

And Henley Half Marathon two weeks later.

The training revival was cut short by several nights on the tiles last week. Sadly the kind involving quantities of grout rather than stout. I don't forsee any huge preparation for these two events, but it will be nice to be racing after an absence of almost a year.
17-09-2007, 06:17 AM,
May. No... will.
Kicked off the preparations, such as they are, with a tea-time loosener on Friday. Even at this time of year, running in daylight is noticeably harder than my usual nocturnal practice, and coupled with a week's layoff, my breathing was pretty laboured. But then last night I nipped out, at a more customary 9.30 pm, for a very pleasant 5 miles - completed in record time for the year.

There's no real time to improve my fitness for a 10K less than two weeks away, but for the half marathon in a month I hope to at least toughen up the legs a little - stretching out to 8-ish and maybe even ten miles.
17-09-2007, 11:02 AM,
May. No... will.
Well done for getting out again. Might just plod the Henley Half myself now that Windsor's been cancelled. If I can string together a decent week or two, I'll do it.

It's a bit hilly, is it not?
El Gordo

17-09-2007, 12:09 PM,
May. No... will.
Andy Wrote:Might just plod the Henley Half myself now that Windsor's been cancelled.
I'd missed that bit of news. I think Henley may be filling up faster than usual as a result.
Andy Wrote:It's a bit hilly, is it not?
It's the neighbouring Marlow event that's the real bugger. I'm not sure of Henley, as last year I gave up and went home after getting stuck in a traffic jam (hint: don't enter Henley via the bridge).

From Runner's World: Beautiful countryside, riverside stretches and just one hill of note make this a popular multi-terrain fixture among runners of all abilities

From the event website: The route commences at the Henley Rugby Club and then proceeds into Henley, south over the Bridge, taking the road to Remenham, and at Aston Ferry, and back along the banks of the River Thames, crossing Henley Bridge before heading out down the Marlow Road, past the Rugby Club, through the grounds of Fawley Court, before heading uphill towards Fawley, after which the run winds through the Chiltern Hills before coming down onto the Fairmile (the A4130) and back into Henley for the finish at the Rugby Club.

So some towpath action there for sure, but I'm a little concerned by the phrase "winds through the Chiltern Hills"... Eek