Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten and Desert Island flicks...
10-06-2007, 11:11 AM,
No, not a top ten film, but I can't let this one pass...

I have had Master and Commander in my collection for over a year now, and have not been able to bring myself to view it ... until tonight. Frankly, naval movies bore me, and with the notable exception of A Beautiful Mind, I rather intensely dislike Russell Crowe and his movies. This was made only more so by the rather appalling reviews this movie received from people whose opinions I respect.

However, I have to admit I was very pleasantly surprised with this film. It is in fact very, very good, although why Crowe was cast in the lead role is anybody's guess. Maybe he's a mate of the director Peter Weir. His ridiculous Kiwi/Aussie accent jarred badly in what is a quintessentially British flick. That aside, it's a hoot. I love it. Not exceedingly clever, but very well made.

A chick flick for blokes is about the best way I can think of describing it. There's no romance (in fact no female actors at all) but there is plenty of mateship and camaraderie. Beaut!

(Nearly) four stars.

And in case you're wondering about the "two weevils" reference, well you'll just have to watch it. It's a rather bad pun best viewed on the back of several pints of strong ale or a bottle of red. Or maybe even a mug of grog.

Smile

[Image: m806265.jpg]
Run. Just run.
10-06-2007, 12:06 PM,
Aye Matey, I confess this one buckled me swash.
The Two Weevils gag is a corker - the resulting gale of drunken laughter is infectious - you can probably find the clip on Youtube if you don't fancy two hours of Crowe friggin in the riggin.

Of course it's Paul Bethany (Gangster No.1 and, more recently as the horribly mis-cast, obligatory Brit-baddie in the appalling Firewall with Han Solo's Grandpa Harrison Ford - how in the name of all things holy is this old codger going to drag his saggy arse through another Indiana Jones adventure? He makes Bill Nighy look like a spring chicken) who steals the show as the ship's surgeon. The Albatross scene came as a genuine shock, and the galapagos moments were well constructed.

As you say one of those you put off seeing until there's nothing left to watch and it turns out to be wholly agreeable fare.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-06-2007, 08:00 PM,
You are quite right - Paul Bethany is the star. I'm not saying Crowe is a bad actor, but an English sea-captain he is not. But a good flick. Really dealt with daily life at sea in the early 1800s very nicely.
Run. Just run.
11-06-2007, 07:10 AM,
I presume you two mean Paul Bettany.

Quite frankly, for two film anoraks to both make the same schoolboy mistake is scandalous. :RFLMAO:
11-06-2007, 07:41 AM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I presume you two mean Paul Bettany.

Quite frankly, for two film anoraks to both make the same schoolboy mistake is scandalous. :RFLMAO:
There you go, stomping all over my feelings again . . . Sad
Actually I was refering to Paul Bethany, the former extra from Crossroads who played third French boarder (brilliantly doubling up as aide to the dying French surgeon - who was actually the Captain - in a much undervalued role). Pivotal dear boy, simply pivotal.

[Image: StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

11-06-2007, 07:44 AM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I presume you two mean Paul Bettany.

Bethany - Bettany - if you choose such a boring name you deserve to have it mixed up.

But thanks SP, for showing such sensitivity and tact in pointing out the error. Rolleyes
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shutter Island El Gordo 10 4,695 12-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Top Ten Albums glaconman 15 5,755 16-05-2007, 05:12 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man