Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printemps at last
04-04-2007, 09:58 AM,
Printemps at last
Runners in Paris seem to wear an awful lot of clothes, well, the female ones anyway, long yoga type flared trousers, long sleeved top and hoody, although sometimes the later was slung around their waste ( bum disguise perhaps;-) ) They also run very slowly, short stiff strides with feet barely leaving the oh so clean - except for the doggy do do’s - pavements. Odd, but then we joined the big boys running before breakfast in the Jardin du Luxembourg.

Now I don’t usually run first thing in the morning – ever, but, having eaten and drunk so much it was becoming a necessity if I wasn’t to return home from a week enjoying the printemps á Paris a total blob. We were there to celebarate thirty years of wedded bliss and meet up with some now US based friends who were enjoying 6 months sabbatical in the beautiful city – gosh it must be tough being an academic.

So it was up and out of the hotel door on to the rue d’Ecole past the Sorbonne up Boulevard Saint-Michel and into the park to join the predominanently fit lean and fast parisiens dans les trainers.

Delightful place to run, hugging the perimeter on decent recently raked paths, past the magnificent Palais under the newly budding trees amongst glorous spring flowers. As Mr SW remarked – “It certainly beats working for a living”.

Back to reality, and yes you’ve guessed it, I’m a blob!!!
05-04-2007, 07:47 AM,
Printemps at last
Isn't it interesting -- running in an unfamiliar place?

I used to think along the lines of "Oh no, I'm away for a few days, I'm unlikely to get any running done", while now I'm more likely to think "I'm away for a few days, at least I'll get some running done for a change".

I suppose we get a bit bored with our home territory after a while (unless you're Sweder, living on the edge of the Downs, with a seemingly infinite permutation of paths), and welcome the change. But more than that, in my case at least, I eventually realised that running really is a different way of seeing a place. I can think of endless examples -- Tel Aviv to Jaffa, along the Rhine in Dusseldorf, the backstreets of Havana, the Dartford ring road... where I've seen a place in a whole new light. Running refreshes the parts that other travel just doesn't reach.

Now, when I'm booking a hotel, I take a look on Google Earth to see what sort of running routes are available before I make a decision.

And a bit like you in Paris, I also use running as a sort of deal with myself. OK, I'll have the cheese course and another glass of something, but I'll definitely run tomorrow to make up for it....

And you're far too young to have been married 30 years...

Congratulations.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-04-2007, 02:24 PM,
Printemps at last
Andy, you say the nicest things - I can't even claim to have been a child bride, and we were living what was politely termed "over the brush" for a couple of years before too!!

Nice run on Wednesday lunchtime, the sun was shining the birds were singing, I decided to run outside instead of use the tready. Headed straight down hill from work towards the pyramid and struck off left along a cycle path, before I knew it I was running on a great path by the side of the river The Mersey no less!! Funny how you can live in a place for so long and not know of the exitence of such a path. Only downside was it was a very stiff climb back up to work.

I enjoyed it so much I repeated the experience this lunchtime but continued even further along the river before turning round - well it is friday after all. I have a mind to run to the gym tomorrow morning, I think it's about 7 miles. mr SW will be driving there to attend an aerobics class so he can take my kit. Might be really pleasant to run and then sink into the pool.
18-04-2007, 03:46 PM,
Printemps at last
Did run to the gym on Saturday morning, was delightful, very pleasant leafy route in glorious sunshine about 6 miles.Brilliant to sink into the swimming pool and then the hydrotherapy pool to ease tight calves.

Tuesday night was at Old Trafford, wearing my lucky shirt and scarf, and keeping everything crossed, such a relief to get another win in the bag.
26-04-2007, 11:38 AM,
Printemps at last
Have just discovered that just like last year there is a spring ball scheduled for the night before the Great Manchester run next month, but this time it's in Liverpool and Mr SW has booked us in to Mal Maison and is reluctant to rush his breakfast this year so that I can get back in time for the run :-(

Looks like I will have to scratch, never mind, have registered for the City of Manchester run in June:-)

Serious lack of racing this year so far:-(
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM,
Printemps at last
A week without a run came to an end yesterday with a quick whizz around the block from work at lunchtime, only 2.8 miles, but it was a start.

The Manchester International Cello Festival had stopped the running; five days of world class concerts, masterclasses etc. form the World's great and the good, including Yo Yo himself. Leaving the house at 9am and returning after midnight - brilliant stuff, Glastonbury without the mud.

However it did interfere with the running, I had good intentions of getting out before breqakfast - ha! No chance.

Out again this lunchtime along the river, amazing how the tress have come into leaf since I started this new route. Alive with birdsong, robin, chaffinch, goldfinch, goldcrest, magpie, blackbird, blackcap, chichaff all wihtin half a mile of the town centre. Pleasant interlude in the middle of the day only slightly marred by the long steep climb on the way back.

Am still commited to do the City of Manchester run next month now I can't do the Great Manchester one, however, feel strangely unmotivated to race, I know that I am getting slower and to be honest I don't think there is much I can do about it, age is definitiely a factor. I rather wish I could take the middle aged woman's wonder drug HRT, but with my family's medical history I can't even think about it. Perhaps they should add a new race category for the woman over 55's not slapping on the patches :-) Sorry boys, I'm sure this is completely irrelevant to any of you.
11-05-2007, 06:31 PM,
Printemps at last
stillwaddler Wrote:Am still commited to do the City of Manchester run next month now I can't do the Great Manchester one, however, feel strangely unmotivated to race, I know that I am getting slower and to be honest I don't think there is much I can do about it, age is definitiely a factor. I rather wish I could take the middle aged woman's wonder drug HRT, but with my family's medical history I can't even think about it. Perhaps they should add a new race category for the woman over 55's not slapping on the patches :-) Sorry boys, I'm sure this is completely irrelevant to any of you.

On the contrary SW, it sounds like I should try to score a few of those patches myself. It may be just the fillip I need.

Good to hear from you. You're a cellist then? Perhaps you told me that before but I'd forgotten. Must be an age thing. I really do need those patches.
El Gordo

12-05-2007, 11:20 AM,
Printemps at last
stillwaddler Wrote:The Manchester International Cello Festival had stopped the running; five days of world class concerts, masterclasses etc. form the World's great and the good, including Yo Yo himself. Leaving the house at 9am and returning after midnight - brilliant stuff, Glastonbury without the mud.

Looks fantastic sw - you probably saw/heard two of my wife's students there (my wife is a cellist/cello teacher). She was Pei-Jee and Pei-Sian Ng's first teacher when they were just little tackers. According to the programme they played on the Thursday. Were you there?
Run. Just run.
16-05-2007, 01:10 PM,
Printemps at last
Yes MLCM I was most definitely there! They played exceptionally well - She must have started them off with some good solid technique.

And yes Andy I'm a cellist- only decent amateur orchestra standard but I love it - my other web sobriquet is Runningcellist ;-) Incidentally I wouldn't try the patches if I were you, you might end up with a hankering for shopping and handbags Big Grin
16-05-2007, 01:27 PM,
Printemps at last
The daughter of one of my oldest friends and business associates plays. I first heard Kandice Kovac play cello when she was about twelve years old. Her Dad, Mike, announced she wanted to play for us when I was visiting them for supper. I thought 'Oh-oh, scalded cat time.'
They played without sheet music for twenty minutes, Kandice wrestling with the cello, her study pal Bethany on violin. I was slack-jawed. Mike sat there grinning.
'Not bad eh?'
I slapped him - hard - and told him I'd never heard anything so beautiful in such close proximity. A year later she was playing in her High School Orchestra.

At the age of 17 she played first chair for the San Diego Symphony Orchestra.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-05-2007, 05:08 PM,
Printemps at last
stillwaddler Wrote:And yes Andy I'm a cellist- only decent amateur orchestra standard but I love it - my other web sobriquet is Runningcellist ;-) Incidentally I wouldn't try the patches if I were you, you might end up with a hankering for shopping and handbags Big Grin

I'm sure my wife would be delighted.
El Gordo

17-05-2007, 04:58 AM,
Printemps at last
stillwaddler Wrote:Yes MLCM I was most definitely there! They played exceptionally well - She must have started them off with some good solid technique.

She generally uses a mixture of the Kodaly and Szilvay Colour Strings methods. Seems to have worked with Pei-Jee and Pei-Sian, eh? Smile

As Sweder said, it's a small world.
Run. Just run.
18-05-2007, 12:45 PM,
Printemps at last
It's worked a treat MLCM, she should be congratulated. Andy, I'm sure you would have great taste in handbags;-)

Sweder, tomorrow, big match day and guess where I will be watching it - in Liverpool - help, I may need saving from Scousers cheering Chelsea. In fact it might be safer if Mr SW and I watch it in our hotel room :-(

If we win I promise to wear my red devils badge on my evening dress at the Saturday nights do:-)
18-05-2007, 01:35 PM,
Printemps at last
Yes, a big match at the New Wember-ley.
Its such a shame so few fans will enjoy the day . . . 40,000 corporate seats is ludicrous. Lets hope it's a cracking game and the best team wins . . .

. . . and wearing red Wink
I'd love to see Giggsy lift the trophy. He's an outstanding professional and deserves all the plaudits. Good luck with the Mickeys.

18-05-2007, 02:47 PM,
Printemps at last
I'm still sore with the Rowdies for not beating West Ham. It would have solved the Tevez mess once and for all. They'd apparently spent half the week celebrating their Prem triumph at the races and in various high class cocktail bars (if the tabloids are to be believed Rolleyes ). The collective hangover, and the half-strength team they put out, gave West Ham a lifeline they didn't deserve (IMHO).

I've been nice to them all season, too.

Not bothered who wins tomorrow, but am looking forward to the game.
El Gordo

19-05-2007, 09:50 PM,
Printemps at last
A shocker of a cup final . . . again Sad

I don't hold with all the weeping Mancs about poor refereeing decisions though. 20 years ago it was quite acceptable to kick the goalie into the net after he'd caught the ball; these days you tend to get those chalked off. Ultimately a victory for pragmatism over atristry, though to be fair there was little of the latter on show. The only thing that sticks in my craw is hearing the Slippery One rattle on about 'controlling the whole 120 minutes.' Palpable nonsense from a purveyor of extremely bland, if effective, fare.

I have no doubt Wednesday night will conjout up a little more football magic.
Good luck to the Liverpool Redskins.

05-06-2007, 03:42 PM,
Printemps at last
got the flu last week, haven't run, not bedridden any more but feeling decidedly dodgy still
05-06-2007, 07:26 PM,
Printemps at last
Sorry to hear that SW.
There's a lot of ailments about down here just now . . . nothing too debilitating but most people I know seem to be harbouring some germ or other.
Get well soon.

18-06-2007, 03:48 PM,
Printemps at last
well, sort of, fluey thing has lingered, still don't know where I got it from but only resumed gentle jogging last Tuesday, just a gentle 2.5 miles or so, 5k on the treadie Thursday and Friday, too much curry and beer on Saturday and a 6 miler along the river and back to day at lunchtime today (extended lunch hour especially fr the occassion). Breathing is still a bit difficult but somehow I have to drop a few pounds and get the waddling up to scratch for the City Of Manchester 10k next SundaySad

Interesting sight along the riverbank, 4 asian teenage girls eating sandwiches and smoking from a hookah on a park bench in the middle of nowhere...Confused
25-06-2007, 12:12 PM,
Printemps at last
My worst ever 10k time. 1.04.34 on the Garmin,1.05.12 on the gun time.
This was potentially a really good opportunity to gt a PB, but instead I mananged a PW.

Kit prepared the night before. Up at 7ish to munch on a little porridge and glug a steaming mug of tea. Similar mug of tea delivered to a still slumbering MrSW. All Bathroom duties done and out into the car at 8.30 for the 20 minutes or so to the City of Manchester stadium where this previously city-centred run now has to be held since Brenden "Line my Pockets" Foster elbowed out the YMCA with his "Great" Run behemoth.

Easy free parking at the stadium, wandered over to the athletics track by the side of what is to become Sven's empire - wrong colour, wrong club for me!!

Masses of fully flushing loos, good commentator, what more could you ask for at the start of a race? Dumped my regulation bin liner and sauntered to the start, no pushing or shoving, most people seemed relaxed and out to have good time, approx. 1200 lined up.

It was a really fast start, and I felt myself being whisked along, first mile in 9.22, no chance of keeping that up. Got stitch, had to ease back, back was aching, still not entirely happy with Asics, even after a 100 miles or so in them. Worse was to come, since the fluey thing I started with a month or so ago I haven't run very much and have had a rather persistant cough, upshot of this was I just couldn't get enough oxygen, legs felt fine, but breathing was really laboured, I must have stopped to walk four times at least. Course was supposed to be flat, but I would have described it as undulating, but maybe that is just another indication of how rubbishy I was feeling.

Race was really well organised. I didn't like the course much, after the sart we went three times round the stadium and then finished back on the track, rather rough around the back of the stadium, no spectators to speak of but nice friendly marshalls. I'm surprised the risk assessment didn't demand that all runners wear hard hats running underneatht the "B of the Bang" sculpture what with bits dropping off now and againWink

One funny incident was just before the finish I was overtaken by two work colleagues who were too engrossed to notice me. I got them to start running a couple of years ago. Well, they have recently become a bit of an item. As they are both married/cohabiting with other people they think nobody knows about this;-)They looked appalled when I appeared at the finish straight after them. What a shame, I obviously spoilt their congratualtory finish embrace - ahhhh. Incidentaly neither of them are at work todayBig Grin

Felt fairly depressed after the run, but at least I finished it. My cough is worse but the old legs feel fine. I wasn't last and finished 7th in my class - but it could have been so much betterSad

Oh and the Garmin stopped showing me speed and time towards the end of the race, was only showing me distance covered...Don't know why i bother with it really.

Somewhere I have to find a way of running faster. Any ideas anyone?