Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paris doldrums
22-03-2007, 08:14 PM,
Paris doldrums
6 weeks ago everything was going swimmingly,7 of us are heading for Paris and our training was going great.How things can change Paul the goat who had taken it upon himself to drag me all over the south downs in order to get me under 3 hours has pulled out after battling through a long list of injurys.Gary is struggling with injury but still optimistic about starting , Ben the dentist has serious knee problems, Dill sprained his ankle during the Brighton half and has,nt run since, Bomber Harris got in trouble recently at a German beer festival at has,nt yet recoverd. I hurt my left calf 2 weeks ago and ran for the 1st time last sunday ,i only made it to Rottingdean and walked back, our only shinning light is Chrissy boy the non runner of the group who ran a fantastic 1;40 at the brighton half and is loving every minute of his training.
I,m hoping to get to the marina on Sunday for a gentle run to the wire and to wish ash chris roger and dave good luck for the 2 oceans .

p.s. Im still going for it when i get there
22-03-2007, 10:26 PM,
Paris doldrums
Bloody hell . . . it sounds like the 300 falling at Thermopylae Eek

We met Paul running over the North Face recently but I didn't realised he'd pulled out of Paris. Provided you can ride out the injury you'll be right as rain Steve, you old carthorse; see you on Sunday.

I've got a calf strain (two weeks old), a mystery pull on my left shin, a perforated disc in my lower back . . . it'll be like that classic scene in Jaws, comparing wounds . . . Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-03-2007, 11:28 AM,
Paris doldrums
It's all part of the 'fun' of training for a Marathon. The stresses you put your body under, the psychological battles when your legs have been run ragged.

There should be a focus on balance, the non-runner sounds like he's got it right. Non-pressured running, no expectations, enjoying it for what it is. GOAL - to get round.

I had a poor showing at last year's Paris Marathon - no way would I have pulled out, just because of a niggle or 2. I believe with all the work put in - even if you have a few weeks off beforehand to rest injuries - get them treated, you could still surprise yourself on the day.

Even though I've mentioned times to Ash, 5hrs is my goal in SA. It all comes down to the day - it would be nice to achieve that, but to focus too heavily on time adds a pressure you don't need. It's a long haul over the Winter months - again it's balancing enough rest as well as the hard work.

You stick in there Steve - I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

MMWink
Moyleman
23-03-2007, 11:30 AM,
Paris doldrums
Wise words Moyleman, good post. Smile
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  paris marathon els 8 3,604 20-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Paris marathon 2007 gary c 3 2,298 02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Moyleman