Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running 2007. Full of good intentions.
22-01-2007, 12:56 PM,
Finished 2006 with some 1000 kms on the clock which was about the same as 2005. And as ever, the New Year began with a burst of enthusiasm and loads of good intentions. Went for a run 4 times in the first week of January but sadly it all fizzled out by week two and I’m trawling the training diaries once again in search of inspiration.

It’s been unusually warm so far this winter. The mountain backdrop has been stripped bare of snow (unlike last year when there was tons of the stuff). The ski-bum crowd scour the on-line meteorological pages for cold fronts from the north and develop nervous twitches. Meanwhile the mimosa trees are blossoming yellow a month early and it already looks like a grim year for ski-Sunday. Great conditions for running though. So, I pledge to go for a longish run/walk somewhere interesting every Sunday morning from now onwards. Pledging here seems to be the tried and tested way to carve all those good intentions in cyberspace-stone and I hope in this way I’ll be in reasonably good shape come spring to have a crack at some more races.
I’ll have to get up early though… Sad
01-02-2007, 12:18 PM,
Ah - a treat in store, indeed.

I look forward to reading all about it, BB. I'm sure that It'll be worth every stride.
11-02-2007, 11:19 PM,
Don't kill yourself BB, we all understand. Would be nice to see some more photos of your mountains though Smile

All the best, cobber.
Run. Just run.
14-02-2007, 09:10 AM,
Thanks guys. I've only run a couple of times so far this month. Usually too knackered after playing football at the weekend... will this baggie never learn?

MLCM.. glad to hear you're going to do the Mount Wellington race again. I'll be doing the Aquilianos as usual on the first Saturday of June. It'll probably be a brisk walk rather than a run this time... anybody interested?
16-02-2007, 07:16 PM,
I'm definitely interested, BB, especially if we're talking the walk rather than walking the... er, running walk.

Anyway. I've got a ton of travel commitments/hopes this year already, complicated further by the existence of TWO half century birthdays in the household in mid-year, with attendant requests for 'dream holidays'.

It's probably unlikely, but that's not a polite way of saying "no". I'd love to do it, and will see what I can do. Keep nagging, and you never know.

Why don't you absent-mindedly muse on how a long weekend schedule could be constructed? What are the travel options...?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-02-2007, 09:56 AM,
You never know, I might be able to head over that way. If I run Toral de los Vados this year, it would coincide nicely with a training run I would have to do.
04-03-2007, 06:14 PM,
Approximate distance run in January; 40km or so and in February; 60km, mainly in short bursts of 6 or 7 km “full of sound and fury, signifying nothing,” but it’s a start I suppose. It’s been mostly road-running too as the makeshift bridge which took me over the river to the Monte Pajariel trails has been washed away after loads of rain during these last two months. Not surprising really as the latest version of the dear makeshift bridge consisted of bits of crate, palette and metal barriers nicked from the road-works. It bounced precariously if you dared to run across it. I eagerly await the 2007 version.

Nothing much else to report on the running front. So much for making err, pledges….

To the distances mentioned I thought about adding approximate distance covered during football matches but decided that that would be cheating. I even thought about including an approximate mileage for on-line chess, but that would just be silly. Your move Andy.
04-03-2007, 10:34 PM,
40km in Jan, 60km in Feb -- you're moving in the right direction, BB...

With one or two noble exceptions, all of us here have had a pretty quiet winter. March is a great time to emerge. At least the football will be keeping you fit, and I keep telling myself that the chess is helping to keep the dementia at bay -- if only I didn't keep forgetting about it.

And there's still a reasonable chance of the Aquilianos from me, so don't go completely to seed....
El Gordo

05-03-2007, 08:04 AM,
Ah yes, the Aquilianos . . . when is that again?
I'm not ruling myself in or out at this stage; my year is looking horribly full already (work, runs, holidays, golf all claiming their chunks). But this is surely a race/ run/ run-walk to do before you die . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-03-2007, 08:11 AM,
First weekend in June - around the 2nd/3rd.

I had some travel info from BB the other day. Will forward to you just in case.
El Gordo

11-03-2007, 06:05 PM,
Spoke to one of the organizers and he confirmed that the XII Travesía de los Montes Aquilianos will be on Saturday June 2. I'll be doing the short route this year and I'll do it as a walk-walk or a walk-run or as a run-walk.. I'm open to any possibility except a run-run-limp.

Sweder. How about doing the long route with me in 2008? I do it on alternate years. It's the only "definite" on my calender. And yes, it is a race/run/ run-walk/ climb/stagger/fall over to do before you die.. while you die evenEek I think you'd enjoy it.

Brian RB. So you're on for Toral again this year. Do you know the date yet? If it's not on the 1st of July (wedding to attend in Galicia) I'll probably do it. Don't know if the Aquilianos route would be suitable training for a road marathon but you could certainly do up to 75% of the shorter version running. We'd need to be careful on the downhill sections though.
11-03-2007, 08:32 PM,
BB, remind me what the length of the short route is please...

I corresponded with Sweder last week about the event. We even got as far as comparing flights and driving times. We're both dead keen to do it, that isn't the issue. The complication is mundane stuff like me being nearly maxed out on holiday already, and, well, the old domestic politics.

IF I don't get over this year I'd really like to join the party for 2008.
El Gordo

11-03-2007, 08:46 PM,
The long 'un in '08 sounds good to me.
I still haven't ruled out a visit this year, but the window of opportunity is definitely shrinking.

02-04-2007, 09:18 PM,
March total: 130 km, mostly on the road. And a nice surprise for April. I’ve got me bridge back! Smile Smile Smile

And Andy....the Aquilianos "short" route is officially 46km but could be anywhere between 40 and 50. (Sorry! I'd forgotten to answer before).

Signed up for the Vigo half marathon this morning. Looks like a good 'n but I'm still not 100% sure if I'll be able to get there.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

02-04-2007, 10:13 PM,
Hey, that bridge looks a bit professional to me, BB.
When's the Vigo half? I have fond memories of time in Galecia . . .

08-04-2007, 07:03 PM,
Go on BierzoBaggie.... you know you want to.

It's a good race. We are staying Saturday night and Sunday night in Camping Bayona, it'll give Adi and Mum a little break and Adi´s cousin is going aswell. Bungalow or camper vans are pretty cheap - and there's still space (swimming pool aswell).
10-04-2007, 08:44 AM,
Riazor Blue Wrote:Go on BierzoBaggie.... you know you want to.

It's a good race. We are staying Saturday night and Sunday night in Camping Bayona, it'll give Adi and Mum a little break and Adi´s cousin is going aswell. Bungalow or camper vans are pretty cheap - and there's still space (swimming pool aswell).

Thanks for the info RB. I know the place you mention because we went to Bayona for a few days last summer. Might see you there although I probably won’t know until the day before!

No running at all the first week of April due to a family visit but this did lead to the first proper “hill session” of the year. Did a bit of walking with my dad. Trudged up from the Morredero ski station to the top of the Mare’s Seat. There wasn’t much snow compared to last year but it was icy and bitterly cold. The antennas were frozen solid and looked like really weird sculptures. Suppressed a niggling desire to run back down again but secretly pledged to come up here more often.
Seem to be pledging a lot these days….

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old Men Running Bierzo Baggie 7 1,114 15-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Summer running part 2. Bierzo Baggie 4 4,073 28-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2010 A running oddity Bierzo Baggie 47 37,425 06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Summer running. Bierzo Baggie 33 20,789 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man