Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windermere Marathon May 2007
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM,
Since my exploits in India exactly a year ago things have become pretty dire from a running point-of-view.

There were some great runs in the following weeks when I would effortlessly galavant for 10 or 15 kms before breakfast or dinner.

And there's been the odd stop/start campaign to try and restart the engine.

But the reality is that now I'm almost 2 stones heavier and running is no longer part of my routine.

My legs still look the part. But the rest of my body is turning from a man into a bloke. The beginnings of a ruddy chin. Love handles. I don't want this. Not yet. Not ever, actually.

So it's time to stick-two-fingers-up at the advent of blokedom.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you: The Brathay Windermere Marathon on 20th May 2007.

Inspired by the world-wide community that is Running Commentary I'm entered and on the Marathon quest again.

And what could be finer than a Spring gamble through the Cumbrian uplands?
11-01-2007, 09:07 PM,
Yea! Way to go g'man Smile

Funnily enough, I thought of you only last night. I went out for a curry with a couple of mates, and sure enough, the curry house had Kingfisher, so I silently toasted you and your marathon success... and then this morning here you announcing another marathon campaign. Spooky!
Run. Just run.
11-01-2007, 09:30 PM,
Top news G-man. Windermere sounds like a fabulous place to hold a marathon.
Good luck with the return to the streets. Incidentally, love handles aren't too bad - it's when you can no longer see your feet you need to worry Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

11-01-2007, 10:15 PM,
Excellent news about one of the most keenly awaited comebacks in years.

The race, I mean. Hasn't been run for about 20 years. I remember reading about this a while ago. Apparently the circumference of the lake is exactly 26.2 miles.

Good news, GM. We need regular, vivid updates on your pain and depression as you plunge through those first few appalling weeks....

Big Grin

You're going to hate those first few runs but seriously, you'll soon squeeze the lethargy out of your system. 3 or 4 runs and you'll be back in the groove mentally, I can guarantee it.

And I'm still looking for candidate marathons myself, so you never know...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-01-2007, 10:25 PM,
Nice one Gman. Back into the groove and the weight'll fall off.

.........If only I practiced what I preach.:o

Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Funnily enough, I thought of you only last night. I went out for a curry with a couple of mates,

Was it the one in Harrington Street?
11-01-2007, 11:06 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Was it the one in Harrington Street?

No, it was Magic Curries in Hampden Rd.

You do ask the strangest questions SP Confused
Run. Just run.
12-01-2007, 12:50 AM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:You do ask the strangest questions SP Confused

Thanks. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The shortest Marathon campaign in history glaconman 15 4,688 30-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Last Post: glaconman