Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2007 - A New Hope
03-01-2007, 01:00 PM,
2007 - A New Hope
2007 began with a game of DVD Star Wars Trivial Pursuit. Not particularly relevant, but it gave me a corny title for this thread. Supping my Old Speckled Hen while marvelling at my houseguests' knowledge of trivia about something that's entirely made up was a relaxing and low-key end to a relaxing and low-key Christmas break.

Happy New Year everybody, by the way. Smile

No running at all for me over the festive period, despite having oodles of time to do so. I must have been stressed last year (in a mostly good way), because after 10 days of doing nothing (apart from entertaining the anklebiters) I still wasn't bored -- in past times I'd be climbing the walls after a couple of days.

But last night the realisation came to me that a certain amount of pain and misery was missing from my life. So I packed my rucksack, set the alarm for 5.15 am, and elected to run to the station and then on to the office. And I have to say, contrary to expectations, it was pretty good. Obviously, running up a big hill with a pack on your back (why are shoes so heavy?) wasn't much fun, but going down the other side was. It was just nice to be out, and I felt a little bit of the old sense of adventure that for me is the main reason for running. The same double route in reverse tonight for a total of about 11 miles -- probably not the best way to return after a layoff, but hey.

So, 2007 is here. No plans, no targets. FLM 07 has been considered -- the challenge not being finishing faster, but finishing in the same time on less training -- but that's been jettisoned as requiring too much commitment for this year. So, I'll just try and get out there and enjoy myself. Possible events for the near future are the Goring 10K and the Wokingham half marathon.

May the Force be with you in 2007.
03-01-2007, 01:44 PM,
2007 - A New Hope
Howdy Dan, HNY to you too.

So how does that 'run to the office' thing work out with sweat and grime? I presume you have showers at work (or a nearby leisure centre or gym)? I've always wanted to run at lunchtimes but a lack of facilities at the office means its a non starter.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-01-2007, 01:10 AM,
2007 - A New Hope
marathondan Wrote:No running at all for me over the festive period, despite having oodles of time to do so. I must have been stressed last year (in a mostly good way), because after 10 days of doing nothing (apart from entertaining the anklebiters) I still wasn't bored --

Hey, this sounds familiar. For some strange reason it's when I have more free time that I do less running. And when I'm more relaxed (i.e. holidays) I run a lot slower too.

marathondan Wrote:So, 2007 is here. No plans, no targets. FLM 07 has been considered -- the challenge not being finishing faster, but finishing in the same time on less training -- but that's been jettisoned as requiring too much commitment for this year. So, I'll just try and get out there and enjoy myself. .

May the Force be with you in 2007
And that's a good motto for the year ahead. Happy running!!
04-01-2007, 08:00 AM,
2007 - A New Hope
Sweder Wrote:So how does that 'run to the office' thing work out with sweat and grime? I presume you have showers at work (or a nearby leisure centre or gym)? I've always wanted to run at lunchtimes but a lack of facilities at the office means its a non starter.
Yep, showers at the office - mostly for the benefit of cycle users. Lunchtime is good, as at this time of year it's a rare chance of a daylight plod for us office drones. The problem with running to the office is that unless I pre-plan, I have to lug shoes, towel etc on my back, which makes an already unappealing pre-drawn trudge that little bit less pleasant.

My return leg last night was a little uncomfortable due to lack of practice, but I have rediscovered the endorphin high and am determined to make a bit of time for running again. To use a rather obvious quotation from a recent entrant to the great Hall of Fame in the Sky: I feel good... I knew that I would!

(I'm completely unfamiliar with JB's works apart from the really obvious, but just the song titles in his discography make fascinating reading. Not to mention those 80-odd albums.)
04-01-2007, 08:28 PM,
2007 - A New Hope
Hi Dan, good to hear from you, and happy new year to you too.

Wasn't a JB fan myself, though you have to say he looked, and performed, pretty amazing/ly for a dude in his 70s.

I notice that Wokingham is running out of places, according to the website, so will have to make a decision about that shortly. Did it last year. It was one of my 5 or so races that were both a) freezing and b) raining. Not a bad race though. Goring 10K I like, though it's on the same day as the Bramley 20 which is a pretty horrid race but if it does look like I'm doing a spring marathon (and that depends on whether I'm still alive after Almeria), it comes at a handy time.

You're probably being sensible to decide to have a relatively stress-free running year. In my 2nd year of running, after doing 2 marathons in the first, I decided to stick to halfs and less for a year. It was a good thing to do but I must admit I ended the year without that same sense of achievement. Or fulfillment, which is perhaps a different thing.

Anyway, hope to see you round at one of the local events. I'll keep you updated with what I'm doing.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-01-2007, 08:53 PM,
2007 - A New Hope
andy Wrote:I notice that Wokingham is running out of places, according to the website, so will have to make a decision about that shortly. Did it last year. It was one of my 5 or so races that were both a) freezing and b) raining. Not a bad race though. Goring 10K I like, though it's on the same day as the Bramley 20 which is a pretty horrid race but if it does look like I'm doing a spring marathon (and that depends on whether I'm still alive after Almeria), it comes at a handy time.
Yep, me too on the decision for Wokingham. Looks nice and flat? Meanwhile, Diary analysis has revealed a double booking for Goring so that's out for this year.

Did you do Cliveden? Some pics in the Maidenhead rag today I notice.
04-01-2007, 08:59 PM,
2007 - A New Hope
Cliveden was a victim of my dodgy ankle unfortunately. It's only 6 miles but it's a pretty hair-raising, Sweder-sort-of-course. A lot of off-road, hilly and twisty. Couldn't risk it.

Wokingham is as flat as they come. Flat, flat, flat.
El Gordo

08-01-2007, 12:19 AM,
2007 - A New Hope
Dan - I've entered the Wokingham Half. According to the website there are less than 100 places left.

Everyone else welcome of course, though I suspect it might be too tame for Sweder.

It's 2 weeks after Almeria.
El Gordo

08-01-2007, 10:42 PM,
2007 - A New Hope
I've just sent off my Wokingham entry - maybe entering by post when there's only 100 places left is a bit foolish, but it's a bit of a protest against the online booking fee. If I don't get in then there are plenty of other races nearby. Similarly I'm not bothering with Reading this year, as at £25 I feel they're taking the p!ss.

Just back from a short loosener - not the smoothest run ever, but good to be out there in the fresh air. Same time, to the second, as exactly one month ago.
08-01-2007, 11:03 PM,
2007 - A New Hope
Totally agree that Reading is horribly expensive for a half, especially as it's famous for not being able to get the race off in time (as several people on this forum will be aware - including Antonio).

But I really like the race. It's the nearest half I know that compares with a marathon, in the sense that it actually goes round the town unlike most halfs that vanish into the countryside for 10 miles. There's also reasonable crowd support, and the size of the field makes it feel like a big event. Nice medal too, and finishing in the Madejski is a nice way to finish. But yes, it does have organisational difficulties, and getting to it/away from it can be difficult.
El Gordo

09-01-2007, 02:53 PM,
2007 - A New Hope
marathondan Wrote:I've just sent off my Wokingham entry - maybe entering by post when there's only 100 places left is a bit foolish, but it's a bit of a protest against the online booking fee. If I don't get in then there are plenty of other races nearby.
Bugger. Looks like I probably missed the cut. Unless I can pull a 1:10 out of the bag... Smile

Back to the RW events diary... mebbe Berkhamsted in March.
17-01-2007, 08:21 AM,
2007 - A New Hope
I just checked the website, and somehow I just sneaked in - Gawd bless the Royal Mail. (Nothing to do with the 1:10 expected finish time I put on the form Smile.) See you there, Andy.

Oops, it's 3 weeks Sunday - better do a bit of training. :o I've only managed a couple of short outings this year, and I'm beginning to think that these "looseners" aren't really worthwhile. In the back of my mind, I'm trying to gently wind up to a 3-sessions-a-week routine, but that's just not going to happen. So if I'm making the effort to drag myself out of the door, then I ought to try and bank a decent 5-10 miles while I'm at it.

Meanwhile, I'm planning to treat myself to a lunchtime outing today. There's only time to fit in 4 miles or so, but - canal! hills! DAYLIGHT! - it should be enjoyable.