Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
II subida a los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla
28-12-2006, 10:27 PM,
It all started on the internet. I met Manuel, who lives in Barcelona, but he comes from Pechina, a little town near Almería, three years ago when he wrote a post in the carreraspopulares.com asking for an Almerian to go for a run with him when he came on holidays in Almería. I answered and we met in Almería and went for a run along the sea front. We´ve met every time he has come to Almería and gone for a run in several places in Almería. Two or three months ago, he phoned me and told me that he´d like to write another post and organise an informal race from Pechina town hall to Baños de Sierra Alhamilla, a spa in the mountains 8 km away and back as we had done several times before. There were some people interested in a first attempt that we did in mid November but finally only Manuel, Pepe , a young man from the area and myself took part. It was a lovely sunny day and the experience was really great. The three of us went together and it took us 59 minutes to climb and 49 minutes to go down along a path to the town hall. The sports councillor, Raúl, who had heard about this informal race, was very interested and came with us by car and took some photos. As we enjoyed it, we decided to do it again at Christmas when Manuel came and the local council decided to help Manuel organise it by including the race in the Christmas local programme of events, helping with the drink stands and giving the runners a bag of goodies.

Then, last Saturday 23rd December, 11 runners and four mountain cyclists met at the town hall where we entered and took the race numbers that Manuel had printed. The day was cloudy but we all were very glad to take part in this new race. There came people from Almería who live far away. A policeman on motorbike opened the way for the first two kilometres. We started all together from the Town Hall square and went to the lonely road that takes us to the spa. It is steep, especially the last kilometre. After one or two kilometres, the faster runners took the lead and I remained the third in the queue. There was a girl and a young man behind me. It started to rain softly but later it would be heavily but it doesn´t matter since we need rain. When I reached the summit, I was offered water or Aquarius. I chose water. I was glad since I had done the climb in three minutes less than the previous time. Up there, it is a sort of little village with a spa and a hot water spring. It looks like an oasis in the desert with palm trees.

I took the path downhill. I was reached by Raúl, the local councillor, who had accompanied the girl but she decided to go back by car since she was very tired. We went down together talking about several topics, especially the race. He told me that his idea was to organise the race every year at the end of October when there is a festival in the town and ask for a small entry fee which would go to a local charity. I think it is a wonderful idea. Finally, we reached the finish at the town hall where we met the other runners and cyclists who cheered us a lot. I did the way back in 46 minutes three less than the last time.

Manuel gave some trophies he had brought to the mayor who gave them to the winners and a framed photo of our last climb to all the participants. He had also brought some presents that he raffled and the local council gave each participant three pairs of socks from Almería 2005 Mediterranean Games and a bottle of Rioja red wine. Raúl, the local councillor made a speech thanking us for coming and saying that they wanted to organise this race every year in a non-competitive way and with a symbolic fee for a local charity, probably the local association against cancer. Afterwards, we were invited by the local council to have drinks and a lot of tapas such as “migas”, meat, squids, etc. We had a good time talking about our next challenges and about this interesting race. After wishing each other a happy Christmas, we all left the bar very glad to have taken part in this beautiful race.

As you can see, the first four photographs are from 23rd December, while the fifth and the sixth are form the12th November while the last one was taken in September last year.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

28-12-2006, 11:56 PM,
A new race is born. The small ones are the best ones.
By the way the Almeria boys looked good when they beat Ponferradina here the other day. Noticed that your goalkeeper was Westerveld (ex-Liverpool/Real Sociedad) . All the best for 2007 ..."y Almeria a primera!!"
29-12-2006, 09:50 AM,
There are those who chatter and chirp, and those that 'do' - you and your compatriots must be congratulated for creating a new race. I would very much like to take part next year - another trip to Almería??? - so long as my work schedule allows, and the organisers admit foreign entrants.

You post this just as I am considering the logistics of hosting a race of my own over a very similar distance here in Lewes (more news to follow in January I hope!).

¡Felicitaciones! Pozo hecho a todos los hombres y mujeres valientes de Almería. Feliz Año Nuevo a todos Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-12-2006, 11:00 AM,
Sweder Wrote:There are those who chatter and chirp, and those that 'do'.............
You post this just as I am considering the logistics of hosting a race of my own over a very similar distance here in Lewes (more news to follow in January I hope!).

I must confess I'm normally one of the former but funnily enough, I did try quite hard to organise a race where I live about 3 years ago. I tracked down a lady who'd previously organised a 10K in the village and we spent a couple of evenings going through the logistics and talking about possible routes.

In the end the bureaucracy got me down though. The police basically said that they couldn't afford the resources to cone off or close down a road, and (unlike the mayor in Almeria) the local authority didn't show any interest when I approached them for help. It sort of fizzled out after that.

Mind you, this was intended to be a proper, 'big' race with prizes and publicity in RW magazine. Perhaps it was too ambitious. Maybe Antonio's approach is best -- to start off with a few friends in an informal way, and encourage it to grow organically over a period of time.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-12-2006, 12:19 PM,
Absolutely - I was considering the Antonio approach. More on this soon.
I have one less challenge than you - I don't intend to involve roads Big Grin
I'm planning a Blackcap race - my basic mid-week five miler - as there's an obvious out and back route. The land is all National Trust so I would need to get permission . . . unless of course I just set a date for a group of mates to meet up and run the route, which is almost certainly what will happen early next year.

Any thoughts of widening the field are instantly dashed by the nemesis of ambition in this great country of ours - parking. There's a crusade in Lewes to prevent anyone parking anywhere other than the exorbitantly priced parking zones in the town.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-12-2006, 12:26 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Any thoughts of widening the field are instantly dashed by the nemesis of ambition in this great country of ours - parking. There's a crusade in Lewes to prevent anyone parking anywhere other than the exorbitantly priced parking zones in the town.

That reminds me, I recently read about Lewes's very own Unabomber figure. Someone is apparently going round blowing the heads of parking meters. I couldn't possibly condone such behaviour of course. Rolleyes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1975649,00.html
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-12-2006, 08:47 PM,
Thank you very much, everybody.

BB, it´s a pity that Ponferradina is in the last positions but football is so strange. actually UD Almería was in the last positions in the first matches and now they are in the second position. I hope Ponferradina can remain in the second division A and here people dream about being in the first division next year but the league is very long. I wish it was like that.

SW, it would be wonderful if you could come to the next edition. You will really enjoy it since you like hills and the atmosphere is very nice and the landscape is interesting with a good view of the range of mountains and the seaside far below. I´d also love to go to the race you want to organise in Lewes if I can. I think that it will be a success since there is a group of runners in the area who usually go for a run every Sunday and with the announcement in this forum and in the Runner´s world, it could appeal many people.

Andy, it is a pity you didn´t succeed in organising a race in your area. Maybe on another occasion. Although you mention my approach, actually it is Manuel´s since he was the person who wrote the post in the Spanish forum and I just agreed with the idea.

Well, I wish all of you a very happy new year.

29-12-2006, 09:44 PM,
Antonio

yes count me in, if I am there I would love to have a go, I too enjoy anything of this nature, small and intimate, it looks fantastic.

Paul
30-12-2006, 08:03 AM,
It will be a great pleasure to have you in the race as well, Paul. The next edition is going to be really international.

Best wishes and a happy new year, everybody. Feliz año nuevo.

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VI Subida a los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla 24 December 2010 Antonio247 2 3,153 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  V Subida a los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla Antonio247 3 3,381 30-12-2009, 03:57 PM
  III Subida a los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla Antonio247 0 2,402 25-12-2007, 09:57 PM
  XXI Subida al Veleta Antonio247 24 13,397 07-09-2005, 05:03 PM