Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any chess players on here?
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM,
glaconman Wrote:Andy;

If you want a real challenge my mother-in-law was Maharashtra State Champion in her youth and would relish a game of chess with you.

She only checks her eMail about once-a-week. But if you're interested I can provide you her details.

Be warned though, they take their chess very seriously in India. I think the family's flat in Pune was a government prize resulting from her chess achievements.

I remember fondly watching her demolish some unsuspecting young man in Leeds City Centre on one of those oversized sets.

Are you up-to the challenge?

Yes, definitely -- it's a while since I played an Indian chess champion. Did I ever tell you about the time.... nah, only joking. Wink

My only question mark is over getting it set up. Rather than do it through the website I use, might it be better to just exchange moves by email? If you can get her set up on the site, that's fine, it's at www.chessworld.net. Or you may find a better one where two people can just meet for a game, Or stick with the email moves.

If she's still keen on chess, you might want to consider buying her a subscription for chessworld.net. It's about £12 a year I think, but it's good fun if you're into chess. You end up playing people all over the world. You can join just as a guest for a while too.

Anyway, what's the next move?

(Geddit?)

Edited to add: BTW, yes, I have fond memories of playing chess in India. As you'll know, it's common to see tables with boards set up outside chai stalls. I played quite a few games while I was travelling round. Games I played always attracted a big crowd before long. It was regarded as some sort of international challenge game. People would crowd around, tutting and sighing over every move I made. A bit off-putting, it has to be said. No wonder I usually lost.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM,
I think the simple eMail option is best. Just keep all the moves in each mail. Send the first move in your first mail. Maybe if they get an internet connection on their farm she could consider the site option.

I'll send you the address.

Did you ever play Carrom? We had a championship board shipped over from Bombay. You can get hand-made ones in the UK. There used to be a stall in Covent Garden. Not sure if it's still there.

Anyway, I'm a big Carrom fan. Not into chess much. At all, in fact. Cribbage and Backgammon are more my style.

Good luck.
05-04-2007, 03:47 PM,
glaconman Wrote:I think the simple eMail option is best. Just keep all the moves in each mail. Send the first move in your first mail. Maybe if they get an internet connection on their farm she could consider the site option.

I'll send you the address.

Did you ever play Carrom? We had a championship board shipped over from Bombay. You can get hand-made ones in the UK. There used to be a stall in Covent Garden. Not sure if it's still there.

Anyway, I'm a big Carrom fan. Not into chess much. At all, in fact. Cribbage and Backgammon are more my style.

Good luck.

Yes, I think we talked about this before. I didn't know what it was until you described it, then I remembered it. Sort of Indian table football in the way it attracts a lively crowd. I saw it all over the place but played it only once, when someone invited me as I wandered through a market. Can't quite recall where that was though. I have a vague suspicion it may have been in Bangla Desh but really can't be sure. Either there or somewhere in the north-east of India -- perhaps Calcutta.

PS Did you see the messages re The History Boys and My Summer Of Love?
El Gordo

05-04-2007, 11:20 PM,
I had to look this up, having never heard of carrom, only to discover it is virtually the same game as PuckPool, which is an Australian variant of carrom (apparently), but played with 8 pucks instead of 9. It's becoming increasingly popular especially in pubs where you often see notices for local puckpool competitions, but I can't say I've seen it played that often.

See, you learn stuff all the time on RC. Smile
Run. Just run.
07-04-2007, 07:05 PM,
glaconman Wrote:Cribbage and Backgammon are more my style.
Good luck.

If you want a game of backgammon gman, let me know. I play online against players all over t'world, whoever happens to be online. Usually americans, but hey, there are plus points as well.....[tightgitmode]It's free[/tightgitmode]. Big Grin
07-04-2007, 09:40 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:If you want a game of backgammon gman, let me know. I play online against players all over t'world, whoever happens to be online. Usually americans, but hey, there are plus points as well.....[tightgitmode]It's free[/tightgitmode]. Big Grin

Watch out though, Glaconman. He starts getting a bit impatient if the game goes on longer than three months. Wink
El Gordo

05-05-2007, 06:58 PM,
andy on some thread or other... Wrote:I like this Track du Jour thing. I've been thinking of (gulp) adding a feature to the site to allow people to log them so we can keep a record of them. I'll tackle it straight after I get the Almeria video sorted out. Big Grin

So is that before or after you make your latest move on our game that has been running now for 4 1/2 years?

Last Move
04/04/2007 8:03:51 PM30 day(s) 23 hour(s) 45 minute(s) ago [SIZE="1"]That'd be me.[/SIZE]

Time limit has been exceeded by 21 day(s). 10 days per move[SIZE="1"] In your dreams...[/SIZE]

05-05-2007, 10:12 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:So is that before or after you make your latest move on our game that has been running now for 4 1/2 years?

Last Move
04/04/2007 8:03:51 PM30 day(s) 23 hour(s) 45 minute(s) ago [SIZE="1"]That'd be me.[/SIZE]

Time limit has been exceeded by 21 day(s). 10 days per move[SIZE="1"] In your dreams...[/SIZE]

Fair enough, old chap. To be honest, I'd forgotten all about the chess, which seems to confirm a little theory that's been brewing.

I'll get along there shortly. :o
El Gordo

12-07-2007, 09:26 PM,
Andy. Just so you can think up a really spiffing move, I'm disappearing on me hols for a couple of weeks from Monday.

Kinell.
12-07-2007, 09:30 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Andy. Just so you can think up a really spiffing move, I'm disappearing on me hols for a couple of weeks from Monday.

Kinell.

I've just been to Kinell - it's just north of Aberdeen airport.
There's a transport firm there - Moirs - who store empty trailers, amongst other things. Nipped along to check out their stock (I need about 40 next month) only to find them all parked up in this bloke's back garden.

Kinell indeed.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-07-2007, 08:17 AM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Andy. Just so you can think up a really spiffing move, I'm disappearing on me hols for a couple of weeks from Monday.

Kinell.

Enjoy your fortnight in Kinell. I'm sure there must be more to it than the trailer firm.

I've made my move, though I fear it's just another line in my extended suicide note.
El Gordo

13-11-2007, 10:32 PM,
Still playing the same game folks...

[SIZE="1"]as if anyone gives a stuff :o [/SIZE]
14-11-2007, 10:15 AM,
[Image: tumbleweed.jpg]

06-11-2009, 03:42 PM,
RE: Any chess players on here?
EG have you moved in the last 24 hours?

Got an email saying you had, but when I log it to our game (yes folks, it really is still going on), it says it's your move. Confused
06-11-2009, 03:47 PM,
Not in the last 24 hours, no.

I produced a tour de force to counter the move you'd spent 28 months considering, but I see you have now made another move.

Give me a year or two and I'll come up with something.
El Gordo

06-11-2009, 03:47 PM,
Maybe he thought about making a move.
Or perhaps it was just just wind.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

06-11-2009, 04:34 PM,
(06-11-2009, 03:47 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I produced a tour de force to counter the move you'd spent 28 months considering,

Well it was a blinding move, needed a lot of thought.Ranger
21-04-2011, 10:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 21-04-2011, 11:09 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
Your move old chap. Deadhorse
08-02-2012, 04:02 PM,
Your move dear. I meant to tell you in Spain but I didn't see you. Big Grin
15-04-2015, 08:12 PM,
Are you sure?
El Gordo