Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
November - Crunch Month
02-11-2006, 07:10 AM,
November - Crunch Month
Just 24 days to race day.

Serious strength training session starts tomorrow - three days in the mountains, carting all my gear with me... lots of climbing (at altitude), more climbing and then still more climbing.

This is wilderness stuff, so no roads, phones or ammenities. And certainly no internet. But it'll be great (if the weather holds).

I'll try to have some nice photos for you too.

See you Monday!
Run. Just run.
02-11-2006, 07:43 AM,
November - Crunch Month
Good luck, MLCM. Don't do anything I wouldn't do....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-11-2006, 08:49 AM,
November - Crunch Month
Wow. Reading back over some of your posts a few short weeks ago you'd never have imagined a post like this. You can't help but love the upturn in fortunes around here.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-11-2006, 06:04 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Have a good time and enjoy being far from the madding crowd, MLCM!

Regards

Antonio

06-11-2006, 02:16 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Two and a bit days flogging myself in the mountains (sans alcohol too!) has given me a real boost just when I was beginning to wane in enthusiasm. Getting off the treadmill and hitting some real hills, rather than the programmed variety has been just what I needed, in more ways than one.

To be honest, it might not have happened had I not told all and sundry that I was going to do it. To get to my spot in the mountains for the weekend required a three and a half hour drive, followed by a two and half hours flogging up a steep, tricky climb up to a remote plateau with a 22 kg backpack; and this after a full day's work at the end of a busy week... so to say I was looking forward to it is not 100% accurate. I was looking forward to the weekend, but this mad Friday evening dash was enough to put me off altogether, except that I had announced to the world that it was definitely going to happen... Rolleyes

Anyway, the photos will tell a better story than I, but bugger it, I'll try and stick it into words anyway... [clears throat ... realises that is silly and cracks knuckles instead]

Righto.

Most of us understand that feeling when you're on the precipice of doing something that you really feel is probably a really bad idea, and no-one is actually stopping you, but you're going to do it anyway. A feeling of dread that you alone are totally responsible for. That's how I felt as I crumpled under the weight of my pack in fading light on a remote and deserted dirt road, facing the prospect of two and a half hours knee-crushing, back-breaking climb up to a mountain-ringed alpine plateau called the Walls of Jerusalem - the only national park in Tasmania with no road access. I had been up here only once before - some twenty years ago - and the memory of the severity of the inital climb was not lost to time.

The whole idea of this trip was to get some serious strength and endurance training in place prior to my race in three weeks time, so now was not the time to back down, so up I went. And whilst it certainly wasn't easy, being closer to hellish than comfortable, I got up without major incident in time to set up my base camp before it was completely dark. And was rewarded with that special feeling you get when you've done something tough that you really didn't want to do. And so I celebrated with a ... coffee :mad:

Next morning dawned crystal clear, cool and calm - perfect weather, and with mercifully no ill effects from the previous evening's uphill battle, I headed off early for a long day hot-footing it up and down mountains, concentrating on maintaining a solid pace and testing my endurance, and also testing out my dodgy left knee on the steep descents, which was probably my greatest concern.

Suffice to say that I was really pleased with my efforts, covering around 17 - 20km, including a lot of steep ascending and descending, but I did learn a couple of things the hard way: one was that at altitude, one gets sunburnt far more easily and severely than at sea-levelSad and the other was that dehydration is not so easy to avoid as one may think. I drank about 4 litres of water during the day and still found myself dehydrated - not dangerously so, but enough to have received a tut tut of disapproval from my doctor had he been there (that would be some house call)!

However all my good work was nearly undone by the appearance of a superhero. At first I thought it might have been a minor deity, but other witnesses to this vision seemed to confirm that it was basically an ipod-wearing humanoid with walking poles. I was powering up a mountain called Mt.Jerusalem - my third peak for the day - when I heard a noise behind me, and turned just in time to see a young, tall guy with two of those wretchedly trendy carbon-fibre walking poles and an iPod zoom past me at a speed I could scarcely believe. I was only about 10 minutes from the summit at this point, and scrambled after this vision as quickly as I could - I was determined to collar this guy at the summit and find out what sort of professional athlete he was, for he had better be one or I was going to kill him in a jealous rage. However, when I got to the top, he had quite literally vanished into the utter, trackless wilderness down the other side of the mountain - where I hoped rather ungraciously that he would fall down a wombat hole and be eaten by Tasmanian devils (I did see him again the following day, so fear not gentle reader, he did survive).

Fifteen minutes later, a group of four others arrived at the summit, and by comparing notes about times we started and where and when we had seen this guy, we calculated that he had completed the climb in around 20 minutes, whereas I was (initally) proud to have done it in 55.

This kind of superhero does serious injury to one's confidence Sad However, a lot of serious thinking about this during the descent just brought me back to the conclusion that I'm in it for the fun and for the perspective on life that it gives. The fact that I'm not the plastic tip on the end of that other guy's bootlace is really of no consequence.

By the day's end I was happily contemplating a very successful day and the progress I have made, rather than futile comparisons with elusive fitness gods.

The following morning I awoke to cold, drizzly conditions, and the prospect of another long day, followed by the return to the car and the long drive back home. Given the conditions I was of a mind to pack up there and then and call it quits, but as conditions weren't exactly appalling, I decided to go for a bit of trot and just see how things played out.

Well you know how it is - sometimes you kind of just get carried away. I was, among other things, curious to see where Mr. Superhero had vanished too yesterday. I got right off the established tracks and went bush, scrambling through creeks and rock hopping around the back of Mt. Jerusalem and then scrub bashing up to the top for a second time, but by a much more difficult route. By lunch time the drizzle had become steady rain, and as saturation levels were pretty much complete, I stayed out in it for most of the day, finally heading back to base and striking a very wet camp about 4:45 pm. The descent to the car was extremely unpleasant - cold, wet, very slippery and tremendously jarring on the knees. There was little point stopping - it was that wet that as soon as I came to a halt, an army of leeches would come looping across from all directions - those little blighters can smell you from several metres away. The sight of my car has rarely been so welcome Rolleyes

After all that exertion, I had been concerned about the drive home - a long, boring drive in a state of semi-exhaustion is never a good idea. However two things kept me awake and safe: for some cruel reason, the heater in my car failed completely, meaning no warmth or dryness to induce any sleepiness until I got home :mad: Also, the drive beautifully coincided with the Australia -v- West Indies ICC Champions Trophy final, so it was in fact a great end to a beaut weekend Smile

The upshot of all that is I am now very happy with my strength and endurance, and not unhappy that my knees held up pretty well to what was a stern test for them. And everything else was bloody brilliant - no cramps, strains or any kind of niggle really. And my recovery times have also improved out of sight. I covered about 45 tough kilometres over the weekend, and awoke this morning (Monday) quite refreshed and feeling ready to tackle it all over again.

So I'm very confident now of completing the distance and the climbing of the race reasonably comfortably. Next area to work on though is speed, for I am not exactly a greyhound and would like to improve my pace over the next couple of weeks.

The other positive aspect of the weekend was that it again put work (as in paid employment) into proper perspective. Paid slavery serves its purpose, but it isn't the answer. But all RCers of course know what is.

Bring on dem hills Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
06-11-2006, 02:59 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Fabulous scenery, reminiscent of Cape Town in some respects. A report to whet the appetite, too. You're right to dismiss these super-human athletes; they're a strange bunch, zapping through nature's wonderland with barely time to take stock of where they are. They miss so much that we dawdlers enjoy.

So, only ICC coverage on the way home then.
No Rugby League?

06-11-2006, 03:11 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Congratulations, MLCM. I´m glad you had a good time and feel more confident for the race. The scenery is great and relaxing.

Regards

Antonio

06-11-2006, 06:34 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Well done MLCM; great news about the knees holding up. Descents in those conditions are testing, so it looks like you're all set.

Hope the beer fridge wasn't empty when you got home.

One word of caution. Bear in mind that improvements in fitness are said not to happen until 2-3 weeks after the exertion, and you need to give your body some down time leading up to the race. Hence the usual 3 week taper of marathon runners. By all means work on your speed, it will help your confidence, but give yourself a good week of rest before the race i.e. exercise gently just to keep loose. Nothing you can do in that final week will make you perform better other than rest and eating properly.

I'll say nothing about beer before a race. Sweder and I don't see eye to eye on that one.
El Gordo

06-11-2006, 09:45 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Beer before a race? I can't condone that; I usually take toast and honey with coffee an hour or two before the off Wink

I must say that my own personal view is that a couple* of pints the day before the day before (ie Friday night before a Sunday morning race) seems to bring out the best in me. That may have more to do with the good night's sleep and the restful day that follows than any claimed medicinal advantage.

[SIZE="1"]*insert 'few' if it makes you more comfortable.
Research funded by the SP Foundation for Quality Pre-race Hydration[/SIZE]

06-11-2006, 11:05 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Sweder Wrote:So, only ICC coverage on the way home then. No Rugby League?

Was there a rugby match on then? Rolleyes

Actually that was a very good win for the Lions. And I see Willie Mason got a one match suspension which is fair enough. The defense "I thought he was going to hit me first" is always a rather pathetic one, and he did break the other guy's nose!

Anyway it's rather odd, but the England cricket team arrived in Australia before the Aussies did ... which seems a bit rude of the organisers, but oh well. Cricket is that kind of rough and tumble game, eh?

First match is on Friday - the traditional tour opener against the Prime Minister's XI. He may be a crap politician, but at least John Howard takes an interest in the cricket and is quite genuinely knowledgable about it.

But rubgy ... pah!
Run. Just run.
06-11-2006, 11:10 PM,
November - Crunch Month
anlu247 Wrote:Congratulations, MLCM. I´m glad you had a good time and feel more confident for the race. The scenery is great and relaxing.

Regards

Antonio

Thanks Antonio. Yes indeed it is fabulous scenery, which makes the training soooo much easier, at least mentally anyway. Anyway it looks like SP has talked me into seriously considering Almeria 2008, so Mrs MLCM and I can experience some Spanish scenery as well...

...and maybe some of that delectable Spanish food you keep telling us about Smile
Run. Just run.
06-11-2006, 11:18 PM,
November - Crunch Month
andy Wrote:Hope the beer fridge wasn't empty when you got home.

Don't you worry about that - MLCM's beer fridge is always on duty.

As regards tapers and pre-race beers; well I'd planned a one-week taper, which I think will be sufficient, and given the severity of the race I shall abstain for a couple of days prior to the event. I'm saving three or four special beers for post-race celebration - that should keep me focussed and relatively sober during the all-important lead up.

In theory, anyway.

Speed training over the next couple of weeks is really just polishing off what I've already done. So it may or may not produce a noticeable improvement by race time. I'm really not too concerned about it. No matter what work I do, I am going to be well down in the field anyhow, I would just like to think I've put in a fair effort.

Which to date I think I have Smile
Run. Just run.
07-11-2006, 09:40 AM,
November - Crunch Month
A fair effort?
Your documented struggles have been at once inspirational and staggering. From the nearly-dead to a race competitor in no time. Beer has never been more hard-earned nor well deserved mate Smile

07-11-2006, 03:59 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Sounds like you had a great (if tough) weekend MLCM, congrats on your frankly meteoric return to fitness. A bit of a change from the old tready eh? I think we all await race day with bated breath.

[SIZE="1"]Aside for bard-fans - I checked the spelling of the above phrase (I was right, I'd like to point out) and came across this.[/SIZE]
07-11-2006, 08:50 PM,
November - Crunch Month
marathondan Wrote:[SIZE="1"]Aside for bard-fans - I checked the spelling of the above phrase (I was right, I'd like to point out) and came across this.[/SIZE]

A corking aside. All good stuff for logophiles everywhere. From "abated" - yes, it makes sense but I'd probably not have sussed that.
El Gordo

12-11-2006, 12:08 PM,
November - Crunch Month
andy Wrote:A corking aside. All good stuff for logophiles everywhere. From "abated" - yes, it makes sense but I'd probably not have sussed that.

Speaking of abated, I seem to have done just that in the last few days - training has turned into something of an early taper Eek however, I'm not too concerned as I feel fabulously OK, physically anyhow.

Mentally, things are a little Kafka-esque again... this sometimes happens when I go into the mountains. I fear I may be transmogrifying into a rather large cockroach. Well not literally. Um, I guess you have to read Kafka to understand. (Not that it helped me much Sad )

Never mind - as I always say, society is to blame. Or maybe it was too much fresh air?

Now then, where are those little blue pills?
Run. Just run.
13-11-2006, 10:06 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Thanks Antonio. Yes indeed it is fabulous scenery, which makes the training soooo much easier, at least mentally anyway. Anyway it looks like SP has talked me into seriously considering Almeria 2008, so Mrs MLCM and I can experience some Spanish scenery as well...

...and maybe some of that delectable Spanish food you keep telling us about Smile

It will be a real pleasure to show both of you some Almerian scenery and having some paella, tapas, chocolate and churros, etc.

Best of luck in your next competition. You seem to be well prepared, MLCM.

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería

Antonio

15-11-2006, 10:48 AM,
November - Crunch Month
anlu247 Wrote:It will be a real pleasure to show both of you some Almerian scenery and having some paella, tapas, chocolate and churros, etc.

Thanks Antonio - sounds like reason enough on its own for a visit Smile You must also consider visiting us in the southern hemisphere sometime. The cuisine here tends to be very eclectic (being a relatively young country) but the scenery and wildlife is definitely a world away from Europe. And there are some great races to tempt you too.

But hopefully we can take you up on your kind offer sometime Smile

Ooroo cobber (ciao ami)

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
16-11-2006, 11:35 AM,
November - Crunch Month
Managed to pull my left calf muscle this afternoon which is a tad annoying. However I quickly applied the correct remedies and it looks to be OK, although no further training was possible today. Should be right tomorrow I thinks.

Only 10 days to go! One more intensive weekend to come then a week's taper.

Lights slightly amberish, but all systems still registering "go".
Run. Just run.
16-11-2006, 01:10 PM,
November - Crunch Month
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Lights slightly amberish, but all systems still registering "go".

Good news cobber, but be very careful about that calf muscle. I'm uber-sensitive to tweaks in that region. Wouldn't harm to rest for a couple of days before your "intensive" weekend.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No! No! November... Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 25 11,553 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man