We’re leaving together
But still it’s farewell
And maybe well come back
To earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We’re leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?
It’s the final countdown

Europe there, with some of the worst lyrics ever written. But with their penchant for pink lycra and big hair, the band’s look is strangely appropriate to my forthcoming marathon.

----------

Forgive me brethren, it’s two weeks since my last confession.

I’ve reached taper time in inglorious fashion, first skipping my 14-mile step-back long run, and then a truly horrible 20 miler that stopped 0.4 miles short.

Week 14, and the 14 miles were scheduled for Sunday night, to round off the chaos of Luke’s birthday party. But I was really drained, and felt that it would be a bridge too far. With a 20-miler scheduled for the Friday night, I didn’t feel that postponing till Monday was an option, so for the first time in the campaign, the sacred long run was dropped.

The Week 15 20-miler, the last truly long run of the campaign, was mapped out as 4 x 4.9 miles plus a 0.6 mile micro-lap, to tip the scales over the 20. The first two laps felt OK, although even after 10 miles I could see that my pace was slipping. Well before 15 miles were up, I was reduced to a pitiful shuffle; the last lap contained a few walk breaks, and the final 0.6 was thrown out without a second thought. 19.6 miles completed at a very disappointing 4:14 marathon pace.

Now, I know long runs aren’t meant to be done at race pace. But I’ve been consistently clocking them around 3:57 pace, only a couple of minutes outside my target finish time. I haven’t been working to achieve this pace; I’ve been running at a comfortable pace and that’s been the result -- which of course has been hugely encouraging for a sub-4 marathon. So on the face of it, it’s not a terrible result, but it was the nature of the capitulation that was the cause for concern: it wasn’t the legs, it wasn’t the heart and lungs, I just ground to a halt.

I can point the finger at various culprits:

- lack of carbs: I just nibbled half-heartedly at a few fruit jellies, rather than the steady and controlled injection of carbs that is, in my experience, needed to avoid glycogen depletion.
- over-confidence: after successive comfortable long runs, I was feeling that a sub-4 finish was as good as in the bag.
- overall, the training campaign has been very successful: I was probably due a random bad ‘un.
- and of course it was two weeks since my previous long run, which wouldn’t have helped.

So here we are in Week 16 of 18, the first taper week (12 mile long run). The lessons learnt are:

- carb replenishment is VERY important, don’t neglect it (a new box of gels arrived over the weekend)
- sub 4 hours is by no means in the bag -- stay focused for the remaining 19 days
- there’s little I can do to improve now. Good eating, and in bed by 10.30 as often as possible, would help
- don’t skip any of the remaining runs -- but don’t overtrain!

In fashion news, the wig has arrived, and the tutu is roughly constructed. I need another stab at it, then I might share the full horror with you. I’ve come to the realization that I’m going to have to road test this bloody thing; leaving it till the day won’t suffice. Eek Maybe I’ll have to forgo one of those early nights so I can go out around midnight…
07-04-2009, 09:55 AM,
April 2009 – The Final Countdown
Great news that you managed to get the obligatory bad run out of your system before the big day. I was worried you were leaving it a bit late...

One missed long run is no big deal. Many will argue that it will do more good than harm. As for the misfiring 20, it doesn't do much for your self-confidence I agree, but at least you've answered your own questions about why it happened. Sounds like you didn't have enough energy on board before setting off, and you've taken note of it. A bit like my 20 on Sunday -- I made a couple of classic errors but have told myself that it was a good thing to be reminded of the consequences.

All things considered, it seems to me that your training has gone pretty well. It's good to have a time goal but if you miss it, it really doesn't matter. I would like to beat my Zurich time, but hey, there's every possibility of crashing at 20 and limping in at 5:30. People will still be polite, and I'll say the right things about "next time I'll do it", and that will be that.

We all know that the race itself will give you that mysterious extra ingredient that just isn't available on training runs. Whether it's the crowd support or the camaraderie of the runners, or the thought of your loved ones proudly waiting at the finish to see dad come home... whatever it is, or whatever combination, you'll do the business and feel happy with your work -- and so will we.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-04-2009, 01:16 PM,
Well said EG.

We all have a bad long run; it's lucky that you got that out of the way before the big race. I actually think a bad run like that helps us prepare better mentally for the next one. And sounds like you know what you have to do and I'm sure come race day you'll be prepared. I'll look for you in your tutu - you should stand out! Although you're faster than I am so I might just be seeing you in the distance.

Suzie
07-04-2009, 08:26 PM,
Dan - as EG and Susie have implied, these longer training runs can hint at what could be a horrible day if we don't do our best to get it right on the day.

With this toughie out of the way you can focus on your sub 4 target with a renewed respect for the 26.2 mark and be confident that you have prepared as well as you can.
Nick

Pondering
14-04-2009, 06:10 AM,
And so the tumbleweeds blow through Main Street, Taper Town.

Packed off my last tempo run (8 miles), my last double-digit longun (12), and last night a blissfully gentle easy 3 miles (I even got home before dark).

Now all eyes turn towards Boston, for a foretaste of the joy and pain that await us a week later...
15-04-2009, 04:09 PM,
Good luck with the London marathon, Dan. Take easy the last ten days for the final countdown!

16-04-2009, 07:08 PM,
Hope you're enjoying the taper.

Still aiming for a sub 4?
Nick

Pondering
20-04-2009, 11:25 AM,
It's going well thanks, Nick. I did my last 8 miler on Saturday night, and felt very relaxed and refreshed. Still aiming for sub 4 -- I'm planning to strictly pace myself for 3:55.

Just need to road test the costume now. Glad I didn't do that on Saturday night -- I passed half a dozen blokes on Harleys, and I suspect they do a pretty good line in heckling.

How are you feeling?
20-04-2009, 05:22 PM,
Feeling pretty good.

Have had a good weekend with a quickish 3 miler and a slow 8 miler.

Not planning much this week, perhaps a couple of slow 3 milers.

Looking like it might be on the warm side 21C in town today. Have been to Boots to get some suncream today and must sort out some sunnies.

When are you at the Expo? I'll probably go on Friday PM.
Nick

Pondering
22-04-2009, 07:24 PM,
Nick, I'm planning to go to the Expo on Friday morning. Probably will be gone by midday.

Weather forecast is now showing "Heavy Rain Shower / Max: 17°C". Could be interesting! Still, better than the 20+ we've had so far this week.

Road tested the outfit at 9pm last night -- not so much as a toot, heckle or catcall. As dear Oscar said, if there's one thing worse than being talked about...

Anyway, it all held together OK, and the wig didn't feel noticeably worse than the woolly hat I've been training in. Monday night I spent about an hour trying to work out how to store half a pound of gels (yes -- 8 x 25g) about my person. Ended up with 4 safety-pinned down each leg, which worked well. So long as I can get the bastards off when i need them... Just need to do a similar trick with some vaseline now.
22-04-2009, 07:53 PM,
Good luck guys, and to John and Suzie too. I hope I may be able to catch the race on the web somewhere while in Las Vegas, where we are headed now. It will be early in the morning, but be sure to give me something to toast later in the day.

Will no doubt catch up with you all again before the big day.

Hope the weather is kind. It was pretty good in Boston apart from a cold wind for the last 5 miles. But I was a zombie by then in any case so I didn't much care Big Grin
El Gordo

22-04-2009, 08:26 PM,
Good luck MarathonDan and Nick! I'll be looking for the tutu. Hopefully the planets align for us on race day and we all have a great run. I'm glad to hear it may not be sunny, rather rain than sun (although not too much rain!). But it will be what it will be. Have a great race! (I'll be wearing a Canadian shirt with Suzie written across it).Big Grin

Suzie
22-04-2009, 08:37 PM,
Good luck to you too, Suzie. It looks like the weather will be "unpredictable"!

I'll look out for you (among the 40,000!).
23-04-2009, 11:17 AM,
El Gordo Wrote:I hope I may be able to catch the race on the web somewhere while in Las Vegas, where we are headed now. It will be early in the morning, but be sure to give me something to toast later in the day.

You should apparently be able to watch from the US and Canada here.
23-04-2009, 08:53 PM,
marathondan Wrote:You should apparently be able to watch from the US and Canada here.

Thanks Dan, though I just realised it will be 2 a.m. here when the race starts, so will have to play by ear.
El Gordo

23-04-2009, 09:11 PM,
Best of luck, Dan, Suzie and Nick!

Don´t suffer too much! Enjoy as much as possible!

Antonio

23-04-2009, 09:44 PM,
El Gordo Wrote:Thanks Dan, though I just realised it will be 2 a.m. here when the race starts, so will have to play by ear.
Well hey, we all followed your marathon, so I think it's only fair... Wink

I think a gentle perusal of the online results over breakfast will be dutiful enough!
23-04-2009, 09:45 PM,
anlu247 Wrote:Best of luck, Dan, Suzie and Nick! Don´t suffer too much! Enjoy as much as possible!
Gracias, Antonio! I think I'm getting over-excited too early -- still > 48 hrs to go.
23-04-2009, 11:40 PM,
I'll say good luck now Dan. My flight hits the deck (surely 'touches down' - Ed) in Montreal about five hours before you set sail. Have at it and above all enjoy the day. I plan to hook into the Realbuzz Runner Tracker so should pick up news from half-way by Wednesday lunchtime Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-04-2009, 03:35 PM,
Oooh, runner tracker? Do I need running numbers for everyone?

Edited -- seems to be via mobile phone only, so no good to me.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  April 2012 marathondan 55 50,629 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  April 2011 marathondan 35 29,714 21-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Post-London: the rest of 2009 marathondan 41 36,194 28-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  Road to London 2009 marathondan 17 12,317 15-12-2008, 10:50 AM
  April marathondan 11 8,178 20-04-2006, 03:02 PM