Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New technology
23-09-2006, 08:26 AM,
New technology
Any interest in an RC webcam or podcast?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-09-2006, 09:09 AM,
New technology
No But I'm interested in the footage skillfully taken in Almeria last January. :p
23-09-2006, 09:19 AM,
New technology
My fault. I haven't wanted to admit defeat with my Firewire port. Let me try it again this weekend. If I can't get it to work I'll send it to you.
El Gordo

23-09-2006, 08:51 PM,
New technology
andy Wrote:Any interest in an RC webcam or podcast?
When you say webcam... they tend to have to be connected to a PC. Footage of MCLM on the tready perhaps? Eek

But yes, anyone with an mp3 player with mic could turn their training diary into an audio diary.

Actually, while SP is having a go at you, that reminds me... RSS was once new technology! Nigel has it working nicely on his new site! Wink
23-09-2006, 09:12 PM,
New technology
Dan, I re-read our correspondence on RSS recently when I was trying to recall whether we'd talked about Cliveden last year.

The difference (I think) is that a commercial blogging site like Nigel's offers RSS as a bell (or is it a whistle? Can never remember). This site is an empty space that I've poured some of my own HTML into.

Please educate me. Can I have an RSS facility wothout having to tediously upload my content to some 3rd party space each time I write or edit something? It was this that drove me nuts last time. If I could automate it, I'd be very happy.
El Gordo

23-09-2006, 10:17 PM,
New technology
Er, to what end would all this be about then? I'd be happy just to see some Almeria video Rolleyes

As for an MLCM Treadmill webcam, well I'm afraid that would be pretty dull. At the moment the wonderful view is obscured by washing... and there are plenty of other, better sites if you want hanged washing webcams, I'm sure :o

Then again... no, no, forget it. Keep it simple. Simple is best. I have half a chance of understanding it then Confused
Run. Just run.
23-09-2006, 10:21 PM,
New technology
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Er, to what end would all this be about then? I'd be happy just to see some Almeria video Rolleyes

Oh god, you didn't just open that can of worms labelled "What is this website for?" did you?Eek

I'm off.
El Gordo

23-09-2006, 10:36 PM,
New technology
andy Wrote:Oh god, you didn't just open that can of worms labelled "What is this website for?" did you?Eek

Well buggered if I know what it's for. I just love it. It's rather a lot like beer. Who needs a reason for it?

Part of the fascination is that some of the participants (but primarily Mr Webmaster himself) speak their minds and thumb their noses at the world where and when appropriate. Somehow, falling into line with webcams and podcasts doesn't seem quite the RC thing to do??

But hey, I'm just this guy, you know?
Run. Just run.
23-09-2006, 11:35 PM,
New technology
OK, OK, OK....

The people have spoken.

I asked only because I spent the morning semi-trotting up the canal while listening to some Hal Higdon and RW magazine (US) podcasts about running a marathon and I thought: "these aren't very entertaining or enlightening. I could do better......" And it sort of dovetailed into a thought I had last night when I re-read my Zurich race report and imagined reading it out loud and adding some other observations here and there.

Incidentally, the only two things of note from the 45 minutes or so of spoken word I plodded through today were... Hal mentioning that when some chap called Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks, the reply came: "Because that's where all the money is".

(Interesting chap: http://www.fbi.gov/libref/historic/famca...sutton.htm )

The only fragment of insight I found from the RW podcast was when an RW hack noted that talking to someone during a marathon was like staying up all night getting drunk with them. They tell you stuff you might not ordinarily hear.
El Gordo

23-09-2006, 11:53 PM,
New technology
andy Wrote:The only fragment of insight I found from the RW podcast was when an RW hack noted that talking to someone during a marathon was like staying up all night getting drunk with them. They tell you stuff you might not ordinarily hear.

The difference is that after a night of drinking no-one remembers what anyone said.

Thank goodness!

But Andy, if you feel the need to podcast, go for it! I am (confession time) actually a podcast fan, so I'll be in it. Just wasn't sure you actually had anything in mind, that's all.

But the Almeria video would be great, too Wink
Run. Just run.
24-09-2006, 12:06 AM,
New technology
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:The difference is that after a night of drinking no-one remembers what anyone said.

Nor after a marathon.... Just the odd fragment.

He also said (I think): I've run New York between 5 and 8 times. What does that mean?

Anyway, here's the link. It's only a few minutes:

http://www.runnersworld.com/events/nycm05/podcast/

It's the second from the bottom though I think it's repeated by mistake as the final one too.
El Gordo

26-09-2006, 11:41 AM,
New technology
andy Wrote:Please educate me. Can I have an RSS facility wothout having to tediously upload my content to some 3rd party space each time I write or edit something? It was this that drove me nuts last time. If I could automate it, I'd be very happy.
Sorry to drag that up again - rather unfair and off-topic. I think you are correct that Nigel's feed is created automatically. From past experience I know that this is also the case with Blogger. A quick google mostly brings up either paid-for services or titles like "XML toolkit", which suggests that there isn't a simple, free solution. I did spot mysitefeed.com, which has a free, advert-supported version, and might be worth a look if you can be bothered. But at least for me now, I have to visit the site to access the forum, so it's no trouble to click onto the front page to check for updates.

As for a podcast, I think extending your artistic forays into the spoken medium would be a fine idea.
26-09-2006, 12:02 PM,
New technology
marathondan Wrote:As for a podcast, I think extending your artistic forays into the spoken medium would be a fine idea.
Especially as I hear Andy is planning to record in a variety of 'guest' voices.
This week: John Merrick :p

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-09-2006, 12:05 PM,
New technology
Andy, I was also wondering whether you should drop a bit of Dylan as background music, for the benefit of forum members.
26-09-2006, 12:20 PM,
New technology
marathondan Wrote:Andy, I was also wondering whether you should drop a bit of Dylan as background music, for the benefit of forum members.

Maybe "Ballad Of A Thin Man" from Highway 61 would be appropriate? Big Grin
Run. Just run.
26-09-2006, 06:14 PM,
New technology
marathondan Wrote:Sorry to drag that up again - rather unfair and off-topic. I think you are correct that Nigel's feed is created automatically. From past experience I know that this is also the case with Blogger. A quick google mostly brings up either paid-for services or titles like "XML toolkit", which suggests that there isn't a simple, free solution. I did spot mysitefeed.com, which has a free, advert-supported version, and might be worth a look if you can be bothered. But at least for me now, I have to visit the site to access the forum, so it's no trouble to click onto the front page to check for updates.

As for a podcast, I think extending your artistic forays into the spoken medium would be a fine idea.

Thanks Dan. I have the software (FeedDemon and FeedForAll) but as I said, I just found it very dull having to upload the HTML all the time, particularly as I make a lot of minor changes/corrections. I should try it again. Perhaps the tools have progressed a bit.
El Gordo

26-09-2006, 06:18 PM,
New technology
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Maybe "Ballad Of A Thin Man" from Highway 61 would be appropriate? Big Grin

Ah yes, from His Bobness's psychotropic period circa 1965. Typically, the song isn't about anything very much and certainly makes no mention of a thin man. A minor classic, however.
El Gordo

28-09-2006, 09:55 PM,
New technology
andy Wrote:Ah yes, from His Bobness's psychotropic period circa 1965. Typically, the song isn't about anything very much and certainly makes no mention of a thin man. A minor classic, however.

Psychotropic
a. A drug that affects the mind, emotions, or behavior.

Hmm, that could probably be applied to any era of Dylan, however I particularly like Thin Man bcause it contains the classic lines:

Anyway they already expect you to all give a cheque
to tax-deductible charity organisations.
(I've corrected his spelling here).

A tricky line sung with amazing finesse for someone so gravelly stricken in the vocal department.

I'd dispute the claim that the song isn't about anything much. I've no idea what it is about, but I'm damn sure it was something pretty important relevant to that chap Mr. Jones, as His Bobness Himself sang:

But something is happening here
And you don't know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones ?

Anyway, if you haven't already, just buy the damn album. It's a classic on many levels Smile
Run. Just run.
28-09-2006, 10:05 PM,
New technology
I didn't realise you were a fellow believer, MLCM.

Or if I did, I'd forgotten. I forget a lot of things by 11pm.

Now, tell me.

Do you like golf....?

A lifetime's work rests on your answer.
El Gordo

28-09-2006, 10:14 PM,
New technology
Golf?

It sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings, which also makes me yawn.

Zzzzzz[SIZE="1"]zzzzz[/SIZE]...
Run. Just run.