Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August
08-08-2006, 12:22 PM,
August
Further research on the subject of horse flies reveals that they like to bite on the buttocks....

So it all fits. :p
08-08-2006, 01:19 PM,
August
Seafront Plodder Wrote:You've been bitten by a horse fly.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/skinandhair/204862.html
That's my diagnisis Captain.

If only. Dr Gorringe has cast his beady eye over the pustules and sees enough nastiness to warrant a hospital visit this afternoon. The last incident of cellulitis lasted just shy of a month, which is a comforting thought . . .

Anyway, we know which in flight movie you got on Monarch last month:

I've seen a horse fly,
I've seen a dragon fly,
I've seen a house fly . . .

. . . Dumbo! :p

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-08-2006, 10:22 PM,
August
Phoebe must be horrified - I hope you don't have one of those highly embarrassing public dance comps anytime soon? I'd hate all those baby spiders to break out while you're in the middle of the salsa.

The alternative diagnosis is that indeed you are transmogrifying into elephant man. But look on the bright side - you wouldn't have to dance anymore, and you can sell your story to News of the World et al. And you could still run the FLM Smile
Run. Just run.
09-08-2006, 07:37 AM,
August
We're a sympathetic bunch, aren't we?

Jokes aside, let's hope it's nothing serious. Antibiotics = no alcohol, and that's bad enough...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-08-2006, 09:04 AM,
August
andy Wrote:Antibiotics = no alcohol, and that's bad enough...

Speaking of which, I'm onto day #10 sans alcohol. Which perhaps explains why I'm so IRRITABLE :mad:
Run. Just run.
09-08-2006, 11:18 AM,
August
Christ MLCMan . . . are YOU OK???
I'm only on day three. Funny how you don't want or need a beer until you can't have one . . .

Worse (for me at least) is I'm signed off running for the week.
Now that really does piss me off . . .

On two sets of drugs now (hey . . . what's that groovy pattern on my ceiling . . . ) and they seem to be having an effect. At any rate my man-breasts are coming along nicely . . . Eek

Oh and Andy - if they didn't take the piss I'd be really worried Wink
It is cellulitis and should be all but gone inside two weeks. A great chance for you to get out there and catch up on some mileage so we can go offroading together sometime . . . Smile

09-08-2006, 11:49 AM,
August
[genuine sympathy]Hope it clears up quickly Sweder.[/genuine sympathy]

No beer OR running? What are you going to write about?

Ah yes - the dance lessons. Do let us know how you get on.

Did the doctor mention whether you'll be able to dance? (Insert adapted old joke about playing the piano here.)
09-08-2006, 01:10 PM,
August
Ha! I don't need a doctor to tell me I can't dance, Dan Big Grin
I'm enjoying feeling sorry for myself, lounging around on the sofa watching movies and Team GBs glorious failures in Gothenburg . . .

09-08-2006, 01:21 PM,
August
Sweder Wrote:I'm enjoying feeling sorry for myself, lounging around on the sofa watching movies and Team GBs glorious failures in Gothenburg . . .

Steve Cram @ BBC Wrote:Even a single gold would be a result for Britain. I know that sounds terrible, but it's a reflection of the position we're in. It won't get any worse for Britain, I don't think. We'll be on the up from here on. Anyway, it's even worse for Germany. And if that isn't a cheering thought for some British fans, I don't know what is...

Hmm. Lots of gloom there fellas.

At least you won the cricket Smile
Run. Just run.
09-08-2006, 01:43 PM,
August
At least we've already won more medals than the Aussies can hope to get :p

[SIZE="1"]Yes I know it's the European Championships . . . still sounds good though[/SIZE]

09-08-2006, 05:38 PM,
August
Sweder Wrote:Christ MLCMan . . . are YOU OK???
I'm only on day three. Funny how you don't want or need a beer until you can't have one . . .

Oh and Andy - if they didn't take the piss I'd be really worried Wink
It is cellulitis and should be all but gone inside two weeks. A great chance for you to get out there and catch up on some mileage so we can go offroading together sometime . . . Smile

Hey, I'd not noticed you guys on the same wagon as me. I'm just completing my 5th successive dry day myself. No alcohol, no crisps or chocolate, no mid-afternoon or mid-morning snacks from Starbuck's. 5 pounds lighter already.

No running this week but am working my way up to it. Am getting that momentum going properly now.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-08-2006, 11:42 PM,
August
andy Wrote:Hey, I'd not noticed you guys on the same wagon as me.

Yeah, but MY waggon has hard-core pharmacueticals to go . . . Big Grin Eek Cool

10-08-2006, 09:59 AM,
August
I know some of you like to keep up with these sorts of things so I thought I'd share the latest on my facial growth (not the goatee - that's back in it's box). The drugs seem to be working, though I've discovered my speech is affected and I've started slurring - most annoying. Also small children have started to point and seek their mothers when they see me in the street - this is a little worrying, though not entirely unexpected. Mrs S has diplomatically suggested I wear a sort of white cloth with an eye-hole cut into it, preferably under a cap to prevent the cloth from slipping off at an inopportune moment.

Doctor Treeves said I'm doing very well, and is inviting some of his colleagues to meet me on Friday. It sounds most exciting and I can't wait. He's also promised to take me to the theatre. Still no sign of any running, which is just as well as my leg has swollen considerably and walking just now is rather more like a cumbersome lurch.

More news as it happens.
John.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

10-08-2006, 10:45 AM,
August
Well I'm OFF the wagon now - I skulled a couple of beers this evening in preparation for a liquid lunch tomorrow... that first one tasted sensational. 11 days between drinks - gotta be a PB of some kind. For me, anyway.

Happy days are here again... oh, sorry Sweder - terribly tactless of me... I do hope your infection settles down soon.

Smile dum de dum de dum da da dum Smile
Run. Just run.
13-08-2006, 04:27 PM,
August
James Dean, James Dean,
Too fast to live, too young to die
Bye-bye . . .

So sang the Eagles on their debut album. I am neither, and I took to the hills above Lewes this lunchtime as if seeking proof. Following a week of rest and recuperation to see off cellulitis (successfully it seems) I opted for a lie-in this morning, missing the planned run from Hove Park. By lunchtime I’d scarfed scrambled egg and toast n honey and felt like a gentle lope.

Just over ten miles was all I needed to get the legs spinning, the last two and a half miles run on tired, wobbly legs. Conditions were cool and blustery, the ground rock hard despite a few recent showers. I thought about the route as I ran. The hills to Blackcap are challenging enough, but this sort of easy longer track does not harbour the challenging climbs and perilous descents I’ll need to prepare for the Jog Shop Jog (around two months away) or the Two Oceans next April. Harsh hill reps along my normal week-day route should strengthen my climbs and improve overall stamina.

For now I’ll chill out, see if there’s any reaction to what was a very leisurely run and look forward to building up once more.

14-08-2006, 10:18 AM,
August
Slipped in a crafty five early doors.
Heavy cloud scudded across damp, windswept downs - it was all too tempting. A steady fifty-five minute chug to Blackcap, choosing the steepest climbs and running the hills as hard as my startled legs would allow. I may well repeat this a couple of times this week with a fartlek session thrown in for good measure. That should sort the cobwebs out . . .

14-08-2006, 12:24 PM,
August
Go round a mates house and lay some garden decking. That officially counts as cross-training ya know. :p
14-08-2006, 12:28 PM,
August
admire the new wall.
15-08-2006, 01:03 PM,
August
taht you are no longer resembling the Elephant Man, by the look of the jpeg it was close rung thing:-0

Congrats on the running - heaven't been doing too much myself, got a module of my masters to write up - :-( Normal Service will be resumed as soon as possible...took Mr SW to have 2 wisdom teeth out last week so he has been on the wagon because of Anti-biotics too. I chose not to join him, the wheel falls off my wagon far too easily! Did you help SP with his decking????
15-08-2006, 01:36 PM,
August
stillwaddler Wrote:Did you help SP with his decking????

Hahahahaha . . . no, I stayed well clear!
Actually it wasn't SP's decking but that of a mutual friend. Yet to inspect the handiwork . . . it's at the same property as the extensive brick driveway that I put in a couple of years ago, so the whole place will probably collapse into a giant dusty pit before long . . . Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August 2017 Sweder 13 3,436 20-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  August is Olympic Sweder 5 3,106 02-09-2016, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  August 2015 Sweder 16 7,069 25-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  August 2014: Turning Over A New Leaf Sweder 33 21,605 03-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  August 2013 Sweder 22 14,541 30-08-2013, 12:20 PM