Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connemarathon 2010 - All welcome
15-07-2009, 03:41 PM,
Good on yer SP. Definitely an A team event if you and Suzie turn up. We only need Nigel and Antonio for an Almeria 05 turnout.

But of course, all friends, old and new, are warmly invited.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-07-2009, 10:18 AM,
I´m still interested in going there. Actually, I intended to go there next week but I won´t be able to go. ´

Saludos desde Almería

16-07-2009, 11:02 AM,
Ho ho ... I've toured in Ireland with SP before folks.
Memorable, memorable ...

Eek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-07-2009, 02:19 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Ho ho ... I've toured in Ireland with SP before folks.
Memorable, memorable ...Eek

I don't remember that. Wink
01-08-2009, 10:50 PM,
From your correspondent in the field...

Currently in Co Mayo, but have spent a useful 24 hours doing a reccie on the vexed accommodation question. The bad news is that Ireland seems to be expensive in this department, but the good news is that I think I've found an excellent hotel that could work out perfectly for the race if they have availablility. Am waiting for a reply to my mail. Would like to say more but don't want to tip off anyone else!
El Gordo

02-08-2009, 10:52 AM,
Top man.
Begs the obvious question ...
...nah. You wouldn't bother if it (gulp) wasn't close to a (gag) ... Eek

02-08-2009, 11:45 AM,
Sweder Wrote:Top man.
Begs the obvious question ...
...nah. You wouldn't bother if it (gulp) wasn't close to a (gag) ... Eek

Fear not, there is a church nearby.

The only downside is that there must be... I'd say... about 9 or 10 bars within a 100 yard radius. We will have to pray for the lost souls therein.
El Gordo

02-08-2009, 12:30 PM,
El Gordo Wrote:Fear not, there is a church nearby.

Phew! I knew you were a man to be trusted EG.
Praise the lord Smile

24-08-2009, 11:53 AM,
Sorry for long silence everyone... summer has been chaos. House gutted (and had to move out for the duration), spouse's elderly mum has been very ill indeed, so was in and out to her 4 times a day and just come back from annual hols in Ireland. Despite the weather (only 3 full fine 'beach days' in three weeks) Ireland was wonderful. The weather was consistently awful, though warm. It must have done something to our minds, because we became madly hysterical and did it all anyway - and consequently had a ball. One of the best days was when spouse went fishing (rain - fine and persistent) and I went too having sussed out a long-distance trail that I wanted to run nearby. I persuaded son-and-heir to come on his mountain bike. I thought the trail would be half decent having been built with a large injection of cash from the EU - but oh no! After the first 100yards of decent trail, it petered out into 5 miles of bog, streams, puddles and rock. After accepting that we were going to get totally wet and muddy, son-and-heir and I submitted to fate and spent a happy couple of hours bog-snorkelling - the best fun!

However, I'm going to have to get some serious attention for my feet. Not running at all at the moment as right foot is injured (stress injury because of gnarly toes) and I don't think that even if right, they'll ever be up to a marathon again. Half marathons however, definitely!

I even have some suggestions for potential connemarathoners who will miss out because of the Brighton. How about this one - the Inishboffin half marathon. The entry fee is steep, €200, but for that entrants get ferry transfer from Cleggan, 2 nights accommodation on the island, breakfast, lunch and evening meals and all race day necessities. The other catch is that entrants have to raise €500 sponsorship for the island community charity, but the run takes you around one of the most beautiful islands in Connemara... I'm very tempted and will suss out the website for details.

I have been hanging fire entering the Connemara again until I have pronouncements on feet, but will be there if I can. I stay in Cliden as it is nearest the race start and you don't have to get up too early on race day. Admittedly it's a small town, but has as much craic as you'd need.

Went into Jog shop last week and found Moyleman bands..... self and son-and-heir now proudly wearing ours

xxK
11-09-2009, 07:37 AM,
RE: Connemarathon 2010 - All welcome
Finally had the email I was waiting for from the proprietor of the hotel I found for the weekend of the race.

I'll post more information very shortly. I wrote a long entry about my trip to Ireland but didn't want to post it until I knew for sure that we had the hotel, but that now seems to be sorted. I would post now, but it's so long since I wrote it, I'll have to re-read and edit, and I can't do that now as it's M's birthday, and we are off to London for the day. Will definitely post in next 24 hours or so.

I'm still hesitant, as I had such a dreadful time looking for accommodation when I was over there, but I guess I'll have to take this mail as a confirmation. It's good news. Very nice hotel with a decent restaurant and bar, in a good location. Still unclear about the cost though!

More later.
El Gordo

12-09-2009, 12:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2009, 12:24 AM by El Gordo.)
OK, some more accommodation info and pics (though plenty of waffle to wade through first):

http://www.runningcommentary.net/index.htm#090805
El Gordo

15-09-2009, 07:27 PM,
I notice the site is open for 2010 registration. And it does say it fills up fast - whether that is true or not, who knows? Should we be registering? I'm about 90% sure that I'll be coming over.

Suzie
15-09-2009, 10:14 PM,
I'm in ... I think.

'Confirmation of order - Order details: 1 x Connemarathon €70.00'

Either I'm in, or I just bought the race.
If it's the latter you're all welcome to take part in my race Smile

FYI my order reference number is 522. That suggests they've had 522 on line entries to date (covering all three distances).
Can't hurt to enter now, unless English entrants fancy waiting to see if Sterling will claw back some ground on the Euro.

15-09-2009, 10:31 PM,
(15-09-2009, 07:27 PM)suzieq Wrote: I'm about 90% sure that I'll be coming over.

Suzie

Hurrah! Fantastic news.

Yes, I think we should enter now, though re Sweder's post, I'm rather taken aback by the cost. Common for big events in the US, but less so here. Mind you, having seen the location, the logistics aren't easy, and they have to lay on transport from a variety of places.

Anlu will be choking on his churros at the news, though I hope he will still come.
El Gordo

15-09-2009, 10:59 PM,
(15-09-2009, 10:31 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(15-09-2009, 07:27 PM)suzieq Wrote: I'm about 90% sure that I'll be coming over.
Suzie

Hurrah! Fantastic news.

Ditto! We're putting the band back together ... ; )

(15-09-2009, 10:31 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Anlu will be choking on his churros at the news, though I hope he will still come.

Yep, and you don't get so much of a sniff of a Guinness thrown in either, never mid a punnet of tomatos, a three course meal and no end of wonderful regional offers. It's a jip.

21-09-2009, 02:37 PM,
I entered at lunchtime today. My number was 578, though we shouldn't take this to mean they've had that number of entries. It could mean anything. From what I've read on the web, the whole event does sell out before the new year, with the half marathon going first, some time before that. So don't leave it too late!

I had a bizarre and worrying thought after I entered, namely that perhaps I should aim to do the marathon instead of the half. But don't worry, this fever will soon pass, I'm sure. Though with 29 weeks to go, there's plenty of time to train, even from my disgusting condition....

As for arrangements, I had a chance to think about this when I was over there a few weeks ago. How about... instead of arranging to meet over in the west, it might be better to meet in Dublin on the Friday, then travel up to Galway together on the Saturday in a hired vehicle. Everyone can get to Dublin airport much easier and more cheaply than they can get to Galway or Knock or Shannon. And even if you can get to one of the regional airports, you still have the hassle of getting from there to Connemara.

Meeting in Dublin would also give people the chance to extend their trip and have a day or two in the capital if they want. We could even have a crafty Guinness or two on the Friday, with 36 hours to recover before the race.

Obviously, the cost of the DUblin hotel on Friday night, and the share in the vehicle hire would probably mean you wouldn't save much money, but it might be more convenient.

Another possible plan would be to hire a vehicle in the UK (cheaper than Ireland) and set off from a convenient point (say Gatwick airport) and drive over to Ireland via the Fishguard ferry.

Just a thought....
El Gordo

21-09-2009, 02:40 PM,
I'm flexible to whatever works best for everyone. Spending a day in Dublin sounds like a great plan though, whatever we decide. I'll register sometime this week for sure.

Suzie
21-09-2009, 03:36 PM,
(21-09-2009, 02:37 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I had a bizarre and worrying thought after I entered, namely that perhaps I should aim to do the marathon instead of the half. But don't worry, this fever will soon pass, I'm sure.

Oh God, not you as well? Confused
Entertained the same wild, indulgent thoughts before they overstayed their welcome, drank all my fine vintage port and started smoking in the house. I had security throw them out & signed up for the half.

(we can always upgrade on the day ; ))

21-09-2009, 06:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-09-2009, 06:58 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
I'm in. Number 582, although earlier on in the entry process a 2000-odd number appeared which I didn't write down - so maybe it is filling up fast.

Toyed with the ultra, ya know weighing up the cons and cons. Rolleyes

Am working on Down-in-one to attend as re-hydration consultant (as if we need one) and official bar surfer. Big Grin
21-09-2009, 07:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-09-2009, 07:04 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Would rather fly than drive from Gatwick, but I agree that time in Dublin should not to be turned down.

Apparently the Temple Bar area serves a palatable pint of The Black Stuff. Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brighton 10K 2010 The Beast of Bevendean 1 5,280 29-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Last Post: petaral6
  Yellow Umbrella Day 2010 sports.coach 1 4,861 26-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010 Brighton Marathon Sweder 46 43,230 28-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Almeria 2010 El Gordo 191 157,700 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder