Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connemarathon 2010 - All welcome
21-09-2009, 09:59 PM,
RE: Connemarathon 2010 - All welcome
I'm in as well - number 586. And I didn't have one thought about running the marathon!

Suzie
22-09-2009, 01:49 PM,
I´m sorry but I won´t be able to go to Ireland. I´m sure that you all will have a wonderful time together and enjoy the race.

All the best

Antonio

22-09-2009, 02:16 PM,
I'm disappointed that you won't be able to make it Antonio. Now we won't be trying to break the 'under two hour' mark together.

Suzie
22-09-2009, 03:44 PM,
(22-09-2009, 02:16 PM)suzieq Wrote: I'm disappointed that you won't be able to make it Antonio. Now we won't be trying to break the 'under two hour' mark together.

Suzie

That's a shame, Antonio. Some other time perhaps. I remember you saying you weren't sure about getting the time off work.

Suzie -- great that you're coming. I hesitate to say it, but I may be able to step into Antonio's sub-2 hour shoes. It's my big goal for next spring, though the reason for the hesitation is that I'd prefer having a good shot at the target at a flatter half, like Reading, which I'm doing a month before. The Connemara race is beautiful, but not exactly flat, and isn't a PB course. There's quite a long incline a mile or two from the end which could be tough. I'll see how I feel on the day, but I may be in winding down mode by then. I've got a lot training to do; I imagine you've been more sensible and kept your fitness up since the marathon?

Am still hoping to persuade M to attend. I've also tipped off Nigel in the hope that he can join us. Apart from Antonio, it could be a rerun of Almeria 05.

Now that we've entered, I'm much more excited about this. Am still nervous about the hotel, probably unnecessarily.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-09-2009, 04:37 PM,
Would be great if we were both aiming for a sub-2 hour race (assuming you don't go mad and enter the marathon). Too bad it wasn't a flatter course; at least it will be at sea-level for me, which is a huge boost. I have been relatively good about my running. Haven't done anything past 15 km., but have kept up my usual 4 times a week. I had plans of keeping up the half marathon distance following the marathon - that didn't happen at all!

Would be good if the original RC team made it to Connemara (that includes M). And I wouldn't worry about the hotel, it will be just fine.

Suzie
28-09-2009, 03:27 PM,
(08-04-2009, 03:35 PM)Sweder Wrote: I have a Cloggie friend on the hook for this one - I'm sending her a link to this area of the site to whet her appetite further. Not sure if you saw my remote post re; climbing Croagh Patrick barefoot . . . Eek

Here she is...still terrified of hills, but willing to give a try. Would it still be possible to enter, let's say, beginning of December? Anyone an educated guess?
Trying out the hill-concept first half November, will take it from there.
Cloggie Big Grin
Running thoughts:

Thinking of Holland
I see wide rivers
slowly flowing through
an endless lowland

(translated from H. Marsman - Dutch poet)
28-09-2009, 03:59 PM,
(28-09-2009, 03:27 PM)Cloggie Wrote: Here she is...still terrified of hills, but willing to give a try. Would it still be possible to enter, let's say, beginning of December? Anyone an educated guess?
Trying out the hill-concept first half November, will take it from there.

Greetings Cloggie, and welcome to the RC forum.

Is it the Connemara hills you're concerned about? No need to be too anxious. Yes, Connemara has plenty of huge hills but the race is all on a tarmac road, and although it does undulate, there is only one tricky hill, near the end, which goes on for quite a while. But you won't be scrabbling up any mountainsides on bleeding hands, or anything like that.

As for entry in December, I simply don't know. I read somewhere that the race does always sell out, and that it's the half that sells out first. Your best bet would be to email the organiser, Ray. You'll find a contact email on the Connemarathon website. I mailed him a few months ago with a question, and he responded fairly quickly. He may be willing to reserve you a provisional place if you give him a good reason.

Hope you make it.
El Gordo

14-10-2009, 04:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-10-2009, 04:46 PM by Sweder.)
This is cool and the gang

Have to say the Full (and the Ultra) look by far the prettier routes.
So, who do we have for the Almeria/ Connemara Dream Double?
I know a lot of Brightonians are signing up for their first home marathon so I'm guessing not too many ...

Incidentally, turns out the Two Oceans is the weekend before Connemara. Now wouldn't that be some back-to-back ...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-10-2009, 01:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-10-2009, 02:02 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
So, who do we have so far?

Entered
Me + 1 non-runner
El G + 1 non-runner
Sweder + 1 non-runner
Suzie

Still Thinking...
Cloggie
Katy

Looks like us chaps will be outnumbered..Eek

Anyone else I've missed? I believe El G has accommodation sorted, so any thoughts on the best way to get there? Suzie will you be going from the UK with the rest of us?

Ok I've done a bit of digging, and it takes approx. 3 1/2 hours to drive from Dublin to Connemara. I reckon our WaG's ought to have a vehicle so they can follow us round/take pics/go shopping etc, so I'm now in favour of flying into Dublin (Friday afternoon), stay a night Smokin and drive to Connemara on Saturday. Staying until.... to be decided.
15-10-2009, 02:18 PM,
I will likely fly into London on Thursday so will be able to leave with you all on Friday to Dublin - whatever gets decided. I'm flexible.

Suzie
15-10-2009, 02:42 PM,
(15-10-2009, 02:18 PM)suzieq Wrote: I will likely fly into London on Thursday so will be able to leave with you all on Friday to Dublin - whatever gets decided. I'm flexible.

Suzie

It's possible that we may not all go to Dublin on the same flight. There are a lot of flights to Dublin. I may go from Heathrow while I suspect the Sussexites will go from LGW.

Broadly, SP has the right idea, apart from the WAG truck which is too controversial for me to comment on. I thought we'd rendezvous in Dublin on Friday, and stop over that night. Could even be persuaded to sup a Guinness or two as there's a free day before the race.

Hire vehicle, drive over to Galway on the Saturday. Stay Oughterard. I believe I have the hotel secured. If not, we're in trouble.

Sunday race, Monday - Westport and Croagh Patrick. Return Tuesday to Dublin? Can leave that open at the moment.
El Gordo

16-10-2009, 09:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 16-10-2009, 09:28 AM by Sweder.)
Surely that gives us TWO pre-race nights on the Blackstuff Big Grin

WaG truck is a sound notion. We could program the SatNav for them ...
I like the sound of all the above. We'll certainly go from LGW.

02-12-2009, 04:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2009, 04:50 PM by Sweder.)
Last Call
Just in case there's anyone out there NOT doing Brighton 2010 and who fancies a hilly half on the Emerald Isle there are still one or two places left - click here for more info

[Image: x2_56fcea]

02-12-2009, 10:05 PM,
I need to pursue the accommodation again soon, so let me just check -- Most recent list of definites was

SP + 1 non-runner
El G + 1 non-runner
Sweder + 1 non-runner
Suzie

Do we know if Cloggie is definitely coming?

Anyone else? I'll give it another few days.
El Gordo

11-12-2009, 04:46 PM,
You can add me as a non-runner, EG. As I told you in an e-mail I´ve managed to go but I can´t enter the half yet. I could still enter the ultra marathon but that would be too much for my expected low shape. I´d rather cheer you all up.

I´ll be arriving in Dublin from Málaga on Friday 9th at 5:05 pm and I´ll get back on Monday 12th from Dublin at 17:10.

What hotel could we book in Dublin?

Saludos

Antonio

PS. As I told you in the e-mail, there´s no problem if there´s no room for me in the van since I won´t be able to go back with you all on Tuesday or Wednesday. I could take a coach or a train if the van gets full.

11-12-2009, 07:15 PM,
Terrific news Antonio! It'll be lovely to spend some time with you in the Emerald Isle.
Sadly Cloggie won't be joining us as she couldn't get a place in the Half.

Saludos desde Lewes Smile

11-12-2009, 08:38 PM,
Yea! Glad to hear you'll be there Antonio. Big Grin

Maybe there will be someone who wants to 'sell' their spot. Most of the races over here sell out quickly, but there are always people wanting to sell their spot closer to the actual race. Or you can run as a 'bandit' without a number.

I've booked my flight to London but haven't booked anything beyond that as yet. Probably fly from Heathrow as its easier for me. Have you booked anything EG?

Suzie
11-12-2009, 09:53 PM,
Gracias, Sw. and Suzie. I´m also looking forward to meeting all of you in Eire after meeting some of you here in Almería.

I wouldn´t mind buying a spot for the half marathon if that is possible, Suzie, although it would mean that you beat me again.

Saludos desde Almería

11-12-2009, 10:48 PM,
(11-12-2009, 08:38 PM)suzieq Wrote: Yea! Glad to hear you'll be there Antonio. Big Grin

Maybe there will be someone who wants to 'sell' their spot. Most of the races over here sell out quickly, but there are always people wanting to sell their spot closer to the actual race. Or you can run as a 'bandit' without a number.

I've booked my flight to London but haven't booked anything beyond that as yet. Probably fly from Heathrow as its easier for me. Have you booked anything EG?

Suzie

Hi Suze...

Not yet, no, though we too are likely to go from Heathrow. If you like, we can try to hook up and go together, depending on when you're thinking of getting to Dublin. Current thinking is to go on the Friday and stop over till Saturday morning. I'll take a look over the weekend at possible flights and hotels.

Anlu -- yes, let's see if we can get you a place. Otherwise, as Suzie says, you could always run as a bandit. It means you won't get a medal or whatever, but it also means you won't be spending 70 euros! A shame you can't stay a bit longer. No need to worry about transport to Galway -- we'll find a place for you, I'm sure, and we'll get you back on a train or bus on the Monday morning.
El Gordo

12-12-2009, 07:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2009, 07:59 AM by Sweder.)
Is there any value posting something on the RW forum (I'm not active there but suspect there will be Connemara threads appearing)? I think Suzie's idea is an excellent one; there's bound to be a number of people unable to injured/ run who'd like to guarantee a return on their steep entry fee. Not sure what the view would be from the organisers; there's always an option to contsact them in case of returned entries too.

We have to get Anlu in Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brighton 10K 2010 The Beast of Bevendean 1 5,277 29-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Last Post: petaral6
  Yellow Umbrella Day 2010 sports.coach 1 4,860 26-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010 Brighton Marathon Sweder 46 43,219 28-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Almeria 2010 El Gordo 191 157,639 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder