Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July - The Running Thread.
01-08-2006, 11:15 PM,
andy Wrote:Wow, the power of internet marketing.

I've just been along to Amazon and bought myself a copy. I'd not heard of it before, TBH, but I'll trust your judgement based on your far distant Donnie Darko recommendation (which I thought was excellent), and your admirable appreciation of English ale. And I still feel a bit sorry for you after the Ashes last year, so I want to be nice to you.

Gosh :o I do think you'll enjoy that one though.

Don't feel sorry for us re the Ashes however - we showed no such sorrow for you guys during all those incredibly long years we held them. It was more like open hostility and derision, I seem to recall! Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
01-08-2006, 11:23 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Don't feel sorry for us re the Ashes however - we showed no such sorrow for you guys during all those incredibly long years we held them. It was more like open hostility and derision, I seem to recall! Rolleyes

I never noticed any hostility and derision. I was too busy applauding your superb performances against us.

It's the English way.

Sad, and almost true. Smile
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
01-08-2006, 11:31 PM,
I always thought the Aussies deserved everything they got.
Including their original exile sentences . . . Eek

Now thach the Chicago way . . .
[SIZE="1"](Lishped in a Connery-esque manner)[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

01-08-2006, 11:39 PM,
Sweder Wrote:I always thought the Aussies deserved everything they got.
Including their original exile sentences . . . Eek

Of course the original exiles were Brits. Mostly from the East Sussex region I seem to recall.

Well OK maybe I made that last bit up.

Is there any tea on this spaceship?
Run. Just run.
01-08-2006, 11:56 PM,
andy Wrote:I never noticed any hostility and derision. I was too busy applauding your superb performances against us.

It's the English way.

Sad, and almost true. Smile

I applauded Flintoff - he was excellent. As was Harmison, even if he didn't get the returns he deserved (and I was very pleased to see him doing well against Pakistan).

But as for people like Strauss, Vaughan, Bothe-Pietersen, Giles - yeesh. And I'm so glad you finally dropped Geraint bloody Jones. Embarrassing. Even if he is/was an Aussie. No spine. No substance.

Frankly I think the only reason England did so poorly for so long was that your batsmen let your bowlers down. You've always had great bowlers, but the gutless performance of your batsmen (who also had talent but failed to utilise it) removed that spark from the bowling that's the difference between losing and winning.

The reason you won the series last time was because Flintoff was able to shine with both bat and ball and gave everyone some hope. That brought the old Boycott / Botham / Willis / Grieg / Gower steely determination back to the fore... great stuff. I don't include Pietersen in that list because he struck me as the kind of bloke that's going to go to pieces as soon as things turn against him.

Hopefully the win against Pakistan will bring out the old bulldog again.

Meanwhile, Australia continues to await the delivery of customised Zimmer frames to allow the likes of Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne to continue bowling... Sad
Run. Just run.
02-08-2006, 12:10 AM,
I've had a large glass of Pimm's, so I believe everything you say, MLCM.

May the best chaps win the cricket match! Hurrah!! Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running Again. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 345 10-11-2022, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Running Nirvana and Om...elette. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 1,543 24-02-2018, 02:59 AM
  Thigh July Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 11 2,539 18-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  My my, it's July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 1,916 04-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Time to Fly July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,058 20-07-2015, 01:03 PM
  Why oh why July? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,307 21-07-2014, 06:47 AM
  Far from dry July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 2,533 30-07-2013, 04:36 PM
  Dry July? No! Why? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 22 15,462 30-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  July July Tempranillo Pie Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 21 13,625 28-07-2011, 09:24 PM
  Jellied July Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 7 3,770 25-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Last Post: glaconman