Socks?
06-07-2006, 06:48 PM,
Socks?
I'm new to the forum and somewhat of a new runner as well. On a recent long distance run the hot spots on my feet turned to bloody messes. Needless to say, I had to cut my run short. I have been using anti-microbial bandages from http://www.kendallamd.com and tape on the sensitive areas. I guess it's time to invest in some expensive socks- what brands work the best, and where can I purchase them?
06-07-2006, 08:32 PM,
Socks?
Hi Amber

Welcome to the forum.

Hmmm. Bloody messes? That's a new one on me, but I did have a terrible time with blisters when I first started running.

It's one of those issues that there's no agreement on. On long runs, I use Thorlo socks. Very well-made, comfortable, padded, and long-lasting. I bought 4 pairs in early 2002 and all are still going strong. Other people use Falke socks. They actually have a designated right and left sock in each pair. A bit gimmicky I always thought, but I may be wrong. Google 'em.

Another thing I sometimes do for long runs is wear two pairs of ordinary, thinner socks. This is a technique often used by long-distance walkers. The idea is that the friction with the shoe sort of gets absorbed before it reaches your foot. I don't think I explained that too well, but anyway, it seems to help.

In general though, you may want to look at hardening up your feet a bit. In the UK it's often recommended that you rub surgical spirit into your feet to toughen them. Another common remedy is to liberally coat your feet with vaseline/petroleum jelly.

One obvious question is: do your shoes fit properly? If they are slightly too big, you may find there's too much 'play' in them which is a common cause of blisters.

Do you use Asics by any chance? A lot of people (including me) find that the Asics fit results in blisters, particularly round the instep.

The way I finally solved my own problem was, well, partly a combination of most of the above, but mainly I think, just gradual toughening of the feet. I ran for about 5 months leading up to the London Marathon in 2002, having trouble with blisters almost all the way through the training as well as on the big day itself. After the marathon I took a few weeks off to recover, then started back again. I've pretty much never had trouble with blisters ever since. It was as if the break gave my feet a chance to recover, and once I'd got back into running they knew what to expect.

Do you have Compeed plasters over there? (plaster = 'bandaid'). The best thing I've found for running with a blister or, if put over the pressure points, very good at warding them off.

Check out this brief article. It's aimed at walkers but it's relevant for runners too.

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/askatravell...74,00.html
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-07-2006, 11:44 PM,
Socks?
Thorlos for me. Sometimes with another pair of whatever socks over the top. I wore Asics for a couple of years (and would happily go back to them) with no blister issues to speak of. But maybe RB can advise? The old petroleum jelly trick seems to work when I do have a blister though.
Run. Just run.
10-07-2006, 10:10 AM,
Socks?
Hilly twin skins for me, 'though 1,000 mile socks are OK too. Plus apply some petroleum jelly to any foot bits that are likely to rub - once the blisters have healed (heeled! :-))