Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
III Carrera popular Villa Inés
10-06-2006, 02:32 PM,
Last Sunday, on the 4th of June, I took part in this race. It is the second time I participate in it. However, this year was a 8 km one lap course, while last year it consisted of a two lap course, in all, 8.5 kms. I think I prefer this one since it is a bit hard to have to do the same course twice.

Villa Inés is a resort belonging to Huércal de Almería, just 5 kms away from Almería. It has terraced houses and a few low blocks of flats. As it was a festival in that neighbourhood, there were

I went with Guillermo, a runner I met at Cartagena half who happens to live in Almería although he is from Cartagena. He also took part in Madrid marathon this year, which was a little tougher than in the previous years since the course has been changed due to works in Madrid.

We arrived at 9 am. There were some attractions since on the weekend there is a fair. There was also a band playing music and “gigantes y cabezudos” – figures of giants with very big heads. We gave our names and were given our race numbers and safety pins. The entry was free. I met some runners I know because we have taken part in other races or training such as Diego, who took part at Cartagena half or Red Cross race in Almería, Jorge, who took part at Almería half and Seville marathon. He was very glad because he felt much better after having suffered from tendonitis. I also talked to Sergio, http://WWW.todofondo.com webmaster. Guillermo also greeted to some friends he knew and we started warming up a little.

At 9:45 the race started. There were around sixty people taking part. It was a bit hot, around 30º Celsius. We started running around the resort to reach a path with a bridge above the railway. We turned right along a quiet narrow road which is next to some farms with cows and greenhouses to turn back along the same road. Instead of going straight to the town of Huércal we took a path under the motorway which took us near the river Andarax and again to the previous road to reach Huércal de Almería . We took a little steep street as far as Mercadona, a supermarket, to turn back and get to Villa Inés resort. When I arrived, most runners had already arrived. Everybody clapped a lot. Actually, I did not feel too bad and managed to arrive in 46 minutes, 30 seconds. I greeted Guillermo who had arrived five minutes earlier and went to the organisation premises belonging to the residents´ association and had a glass of lemonade. There were some children having a cup of chocolate and some cake. Afterwards, I picked up my goodie bag which contained a T-shirt, a bottle of water, a banana from the Canary islands, an apple, a little trophy and afterwards a man from the organisation gave me a cap. I congratulated Guillermo, Jorge, Sergio and other runners I saw and got back home. Guillermo remained there with a work mate to have a beer and he came back with his friend. I would have gone with them but I was in a hurry to get back home.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

11-06-2006, 10:18 AM,
Well done Antonio.The England players yesterday blamed their lacklustre performance on playing in the same temperature that you ran your 8km in.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-06-2006, 08:28 PM,
Gracias, Andy. Anyway, I´m used to running in the heat. At least, you managed to beat Ivory Coast. Let´s see if Spain can defeat Ukraine on Wednesday. It is a pity our football players are not as good as Fernando Alonso in motor racing or Rafa Nadal in tennis.

Regards

Antonio

PS. I hope you are feeling better from your shingles and enjoying your new job.

12-06-2006, 07:15 AM,
Well done on your hot 8K Antonio.
You have my full respect for running in such heat - under such conditions I am like my nation's footballers - I wilt.

I am interested to know the mood of the Spanish people before this World Cup.
Every year we speak about Spain having a great chance. They have great players, a very competitive league with several fantastic teams, yet just like England they flatter to deceive year after year.

Will it be different this time?
Do the Spanish people feel that Germany 2006 will be their tournament?

From what I have seen so far the hispanic teams are enjoying the heat; Mexico, Portugal, Argentina . . . perhaps the weather will be the ultimate factor?

In England we are doing the Rain Dance morning, noon and night Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-06-2006, 11:39 AM,
Thanks, Ashley

I think that here most people always think that that year will be the year for the national team but, sadly, it never is. In Korea - Japan four years ago, we nearly beat Korea to get to the next stage but we were very unlucky and the referee was clearly in favour of Korea. So, I think that most people are not too optimistic but most people believe that we´ll manage to become the first or the second in our group but not too optimistic to reach a good position.

Best of luck for your national teams.

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  III 10 km de Laujar 13th September 2009 Antonio247 9 10,277 24-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  VII Carrera por la convivencia de la Cruz Roja Española Antonio247 2 4,112 24-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  III 10 kms del puerto de Almería Antonio247 5 5,558 28-04-2009, 06:45 PM
  III Carrera del desierto. Tabernas 5 April 2009 Antonio247 2 3,878 15-04-2009, 04:12 PM
  VI carrera de la Cruz Roja. 27 April 2008. Antonio247 8 5,751 19-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  XX Carrera San Sivestre El Ejido 29th Dec 2007 Antonio247 5 4,250 07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  III Subida a los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla Antonio247 0 2,402 25-12-2007, 09:57 PM
  Carrera popular Aguamarga - Carboneras 2007 Antonio247 4 4,071 22-08-2007, 03:52 PM
  III Carrera popular Villa Inés Antonio247 10 6,110 26-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  I carrera por montaña. Atarfe 24-II-2007 Antonio247 14 8,181 15-03-2007, 09:14 PM