Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Travesía Integral de los Montes Aquiianos
25-04-2006, 10:34 PM,
Travesía Integral de los Montes Aquiianos
Johnb, my wife is from Galicia and lunch is a serious business. On Saturday June the 3rd I run the Aquilianos. And I must be back for lunch:o .

My training will consist of the following. 66kms of the Aquilianos long route diluted into eight tidy stages. (In fact I’ve already done the first two but haven’t written them up yet). Then on June 2nd it’ll just be a question of “doing it again” but this time all at once and within 10 hours if I’m going to be back for lunch. No problemRolleyes .

Must confess that I’ve done the long route before, 4 times, but this will be the first time that I’ll be paying close attention to the clock. Referring back to my old route cards which must be stamped at 7 or 8 control points along the way I can see my previous "long route" times.

1998, 11 hours 51 minutes; ran about 50% of it. Got lost in the mist on the tops and ended up sitting on a rock for nearly an hour. Eventually glimpsed another participant through the murkiness and followed him.

2000, 11 hours 25 minutes; ran more than 50% Missed a turning, prematurely climbed halfway up One-Eyed Peak and then had to retrace my steps again.

2002, 14 hours 52 minutes; walked it all with Mrs Scouser who notched her first Aquilianos long route.

2004, 14 hours 9 minutes; walked it with Mrs Scouser’s brother in law. Ran occasionally. A thunderstorm of biblical proportions washed away the tail-enders and the course was closed 2 hours early… just when we were finishing.

So, if I’m to get back in time for lunch I’ll have to improve my Aquilianos best by a couple of hours which means no getting lost, no siestas and no chorizo sandwiches. And it’s not just a question of getting back for lunch; I must also be in a decent enough state to eat it.

Messages In This Thread
Travesía Integral de los Montes Aquiianos - by Bierzo Baggie - 25-04-2006, 10:34 PM