Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Own Goals
23-04-2006, 11:34 AM,
Great Own Goals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5S5vAzs6...wn%20goals

Watch out for the 4th one in, scored by the great Jamie Pollock of Man City against QPR at Maine Road. The goal made it 2-2, and in that one moment of lunacy relegated City while saving us from the same fate. Jamie has been a folk hero in Shepherds Bush ever since. I was sitting right behind that goal, and it sparked one of the most extended and manic celebrations I've ever witnessed. Oh happy days.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-04-2006, 06:28 AM,
Great Own Goals
I don't often laugh out loud at anything on the web, but that's a fantastic video. There's few things funnier than other people's misfortune.
25-04-2006, 10:58 AM,
Great Own Goals
Another nice football video here.
25-04-2006, 10:37 PM,
Great Own Goals
Great videos. Was that Bryan Robson I spotted in the second one....and I thought he already ran his own pub teamConfused
25-04-2006, 11:15 PM,
Great Own Goals
Yep, he's there.
El Gordo

26-04-2006, 08:07 AM,
Great Own Goals
Warm congratulations to The Arse - should be a great final provided the Barca Braves can overcome the Old Codgers of Milan tonight. One wonders what the prospects are for Sol Campbell - rarely has a sportsman of such quality looked so fallable and lost.

Watching the giant Lehmann beat out Riquelme's poor penalty brought happy memories flooding back. Another 89th minute penalty, this time awarded in Arsenal's favour. Denis Bergkamp, the Dutch master, unflappable, with the spot kick to break a million hearts and plunge dreams of an improbable treble into the abyss. Visions of another Germanic giant leaping to his left to pull off the save of the century; Schmeichel at his imperious best.

Mere moments later Ryan Giggs scored arguably the finest individual goal ever seen in FA Cup history; cue the hairy-chested shirt-twirling rampage with the backdrop of the England back four lying in ruins . . .

Barcelona were also involved one week after the miracle of Villa Park but only as hosts to one of the most bizarre, gut-wrenching matches I've ever witnessed. But then, you all know that story . . . Wink

Pip pip!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-04-2006, 06:43 PM,
Great Own Goals
Sweder Wrote:Mere moments later Ryan Giggs scored arguably the finest individual goal ever seen in FA Cup history;

No bias there then, Sweder. Eek

Just my view, but nothing will beat the magnificent tap-in from Terry Fenwick in the 1982 semi-final that took QPR to Wembley....
El Gordo

26-04-2006, 09:31 PM,
Great Own Goals
andy Wrote:No bias there then, Sweder. Eek

Just my view, but nothing will beat the magnificent tap-in from Terry Fenwick in the 1982 semi-final that took QPR to Wembley....

Eh? If you're talking about the FA Cup semi final QPR V Albion then I reckon it was a lucky bounce off Clive Allen's knee that settled it. I was there and it broke my heart at the time. It was 1982 wasn't it?Confused
26-04-2006, 10:30 PM,
Great Own Goals
Sh*t, that's really annoying.

To be honest, I couldn't remember who scored the Rangers goal, so I opted for Fenwick who actually scored in the final. I reasoned that no one out there in RC-land would know who scored for QPR in a match 24 years ago.

But some bugger did....

I wasn't at the game. Poor student, I found myself working at a petrol station in Manchester that afternoon, ear glued to transistor radio. Did make it to the final though, unlike some..... Big Grin
El Gordo

27-04-2006, 10:48 PM,
Great Own Goals
Sorry for being annoying, but it's a match I particularly remember, a sunny Saturday afternoon about this time of year, thousands of Albion fans travelling down the M1, the motorway service areas awash with blue and white and every one of us convinced that we were going to Wembley. I was an impressionable 12 year old visiting Highbury for the first time (and for the last as it turns out). It was probably the worst match I've ever seen. Albion were utter crap that day, Cyrille Regis at the height of his powers was marked out of the game by big Bob Hazel and I had a perfect view of Clive A llen's lucky goal. Agghhh Eek the curse of QPR struck again....Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great race t-shirts of our time marathondan 0 736 06-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  The Great Buzsacky El Gordo 3 1,711 15-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Antonio247