Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead up to Liverpool
23-03-2006, 04:26 PM,
Lead up to Liverpool
I didn’t realise when I started this marathon training lark quite how much time has to be invested. Now the mid week sessions are 9 miles – longest one at 10 next week before we start the taper – it takes quite some planning for. Have multi tasked the last few weeks, the family are always starving when they arrive home, so have put on the oven on before running about 5 miles, returned to house, put supper in the oven and then completed the remainder, leaves just enough time to shower and change before serving. I then collapse in a heap on the sofa for the rest of the evening but at least there has been some footie to watch the last couple of Wednesdays.

I think the training is going well at the moment, I don’t want to tempt fate or anything, but the long runs have been steady and although my thigh muscles have been a little sore I haven’t been out of breath and have recovered quite quickly.

Mr SW unfortunately twinged his back last week and pinched a nerve. V painful, but he managed to run last Wednesday then rested it until the Liverpool half on Sunday.

Lots of lovely Guiness on Friday night ( drank enough for hats with tokens to spare)- filthy hangover on Saturday when I had to do a full rehearsal in the afternoon followed by concert in the evening - god the brass are loudSad

Liverpool was surprisingly good, very well organised. We parked at the Jaguar factory and were bussed in to Sefton Park. Usual queue for the loos, but good baggage check area, changing tents etc. Quite a big field, we filed in at the start between the 10 minute mile pacer and the walk/run get you round. The idea being just to treat this as a training run. Tactics worked really well. Started off at a good steady pace and stuck to it. Mr SW worried by being passed by so many people in the early stages, I knew we would reel lots of them back in the later stages - which is exactly what happened. Our “finest hour” was overtaking loads of heaving bodies during the uphill section at mile 9ish, that was somehow very satisfying and proof that the training really is paying off. Managed a spint(ish) finish too! The only frustrating thing about the run was arriving back in Sefton Park after the interesting bit around the city and then expecting to finish immediately when in fact it was still a 3mile meander round the park pathways - grrr.

Mr SW’s back was sore but not too bad considering. More worryingly he had a very painful knee, enough to send him to the Dr’s on Monday ( he never goes to a surgery unless it’s for a diving medical) to get a referral to our nice physio courtesy of good old Bupa. Physio assured him that there is nothing wrong with his knee, the pain was probably caused by a slight change in his gait due to the back problem. Has given him lots of exercises and reassured him that running wasn’t going to make his back any worse. He completed the 9 miles last night with no additional problems.

So – 18 miles to do at the weekend, will employ the training session tactic of run 5miles, walk to have a drink and a couple of jelly babies (my secret weapon) repeated at 3–4 mile intervals and hope that my poor little legs don’t get worn down to stumps in the process. I admit to feeling a bit like a hypochondriac at the moment and am getting a little panicky when anyone with a cold comes anywhere near me ….please don’t let me be ill/injured now.
Have attached promised piccies of Denver running plus a taster of Liverpool.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

23-03-2006, 07:01 PM,
Lead up to Liverpool
Congratulations to you both - it sounds like your strategy is paying dividends.
It's a great lesson for many of the Newbies/ first-timers here - start a long run gently and still finish in a decent time and, more importantly, alive and in much better shape than those boy racers who tear off at the start. Not sure I'll take up popping stuff into the oven half-way through a run, but hey - if it works for you that's great Big Grin

Interesting that Guinness seemed to have a positive effect, SW. I must say my own long run last Sunday was excellent, albeit following a nightmare 9 hour troll through the hostelries of Mayfield with man-on-a-mission, SP.

I'm interested in the physio's diagnosis of Mr SW's sore knee.
Last year I played host to a niggling hammie injury which flared up with a vengeance during the Reading Half. I completely changed my gait, pointing my right toe inwards in a sort of Kaiser Soze/ Usual Suspects stylee, for three miles and the pain let up enough to get me through. Seems to support the theory that a small change here has an effect there. Another helpful note for us all.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-03-2006, 09:59 AM,
Lead up to Liverpool
Forgot to say, we beat Liberty from Footballers Wives on Sunday tooWink

Thanks for the encouragement Sweder, I'm veering from looking forward to the FLM to totally - I think the term is - Bricking It!!!

Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)