Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P C World. - What a crock of shite
15-03-2006, 07:11 PM,
Bought a new combi-printer in January. Had to get a teckie in to network it but it worked for a while, then the paper stopped feeding.

Called P C World, was told that as it's within the first year, the manufacturer (HP) provide the warranty. I was given the HP helpdesk number.

After going around in circles, I eventually got to speak to someone, described the fault, and was told to hold........... I then got put through to India (I know because I asked), and a lady who I could barely understand started asking me loads of questions in order to set up an 'account'

When I declined to continue with answering her questions, and told her that my fault was mechanical, she said that she could not help since all she could do was to talk me through a diagnostics check! She said that was all HP could provide, they do not offer on-site repairs, so I then hung up, shouted a bit, and got back on to PC World (whose laughable logo is We're with you every step of the way")

Bear with me.......Back to PC World, I was told that they don't do in-store repairs on printers, but as it was under warranty, if I took it in they'd send it to HP for me. They wouldn't however replace it, or offer me a spare.

Took it in this morning, they telephoned me this afternoon to let me know that HP were picking it up from their store tomorrow, and would be sending a reconditioned model which I could pick up on Tuesday. They could not replace from stock, and mumbled something about serial numbers. My pleas that this was a office printer (which is true), and I couldn't afford to be without one for 5 days fell on dead ears. So questions...

Am I within my rights to demand a new replacement?

Can I insist they courier it to me?

Are they fobbing me off with the line that HP provide the warranty? After all, who did I buy it from?

And the best bit.....whichever printer I end up with (recon or new), will have to be reinstalled from scratch, so I'll have to get the teckie out again. Please don't anyone say that setting up a network printer is a doddle. I do a lot of scanning and what with ethernet this and USB that, well it does me bleedin' head in.

Sensible replies awaited please.
15-03-2006, 08:55 PM,
Under consumer law the printer was not fit for the purpose for which it was sold and of questionable merchantable quality. On either basis you have a right to a full refund or replacement assuming you have proof of purchase and it is within a reasonable period and I suggest January to early March is reasonable.

Personally, I would return it to the store and demand the money back (or a replacement NOW if you feel like it), their choice. Speak to the manager, you have consumer law on your side, it is not in anyway unreasonable. Be careful about the office bit though - they may argue it is for personal/home use and not suitable for commercial/business applications.
15-03-2006, 09:46 PM,
Man, what a bummer.

Sorry SP, but that's all I can offer...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-03-2006, 10:13 PM,
It must be the season for it - the last two things I bought didn't work either. I do have some advice when talking to call centres, especially India, which in a previous job I talked to nearly every day. Always insist on talking to a supervisor or team leader. The people who actually answer your call generally have very little power to do anything other than waste yor time working through a decision tree and then transferring you to another area. Supervisors can generally fix your problem for you without all that tedious mucking around in hyperspace (oops sorry lapsed into Douglas Adams-speak there) and they usually speak good English.

Failing that, ombudsmen are great. Call the relevant industry ombudsman (I'm making an assumption here that Australia's set up is based on yours, and that you actually have such things) - anyway, call the ombudsman, which surprise, surprise will be a call centre, explain your situation and they will generally give you a case ID and a free-call number to the people in the company you have hassles with that will actually fix your problem for you in a jiffy rather than go through the hassles of dealing with the ombudsman. These people that can help really do exist.

The other suggestion I have is to go back to the store and sit on the counter next to the cash register until they give you what you want to make you go away. It also helps if you smell bad. (Apparently!) Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
15-03-2006, 11:00 PM,
You'll get no 'sensible replies' from this quarter :mad:
PCW along with other ubiquitous, vacuous, pseudo-customer-friendly mega-franchises deserve to be avoided at all costs (if not wiped from the butt crack of existence).

If they can't provide like for like replacement in this situation where's the advantage in shopping in a store 'full' of friendly, helpful staff? Some spotty geek in a purple shirt sold me a shedload of wireless networking gear which turns out to be totally inappropriate for my needs (needs clearly stated at time of purchase) and currently resides in a corner of my home office performing admirably as a door stop. As we all know, PCW is Dixons by another name. Nuff said, really.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-03-2006, 08:17 AM,
Sweder Wrote:You'll get no 'sensible replies' from this quarter :mad:
PCW along with other ubiquitous, vacuous, pseudo-customer-friendly mega-franchises deserve to be avoided at all costs (if not wiped from the butt crack of existence).

Now come on Sweder, stop beating around the bush. What are you really trying to say?
Run. Just run.
16-03-2006, 10:11 AM,
Thanks for you useful replies...err, and you Andy.Rolleyes

If there is an ombudsman for this type of complaint, then I'm sure they wouldn't be interested until me and PC (Arsewipe) World have reached deadlock.

Interestingly, there are a few quotes from the DTI website regarding the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994...

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

and
It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

more to follow....probably. Sad
16-03-2006, 04:46 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:more to follow....probably. Sad

Really?
Can't we just go back to talking about beer? Eek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-03-2006, 01:49 PM,
Anyway, back to beer. This one was actually named after quite a nifty runner. errr probably.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

22-03-2006, 07:43 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Anyway, back to beer. This one was actually named after quite a nifty runner. errr probably.

Presumably one with very good eyes ... erm, I can't make that out at all. Have you a bigger pic for the visually-challenged?
Run. Just run.
22-03-2006, 08:10 PM,
Sure MLC Man. Click here for Beer pic

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Cup Brazil 2014 / Weltmeisterschaft Brasilien Sweder 78 50,075 22-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  World Cup 2010 Sweder 25 14,419 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Cricket World Cup El Gordo 44 25,008 25-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  World Cup Nonsense Sweder 191 114,953 20-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Apparently there's a World Cup or something coming up marathondan 7 3,591 26-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sweder