Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pictures of Bombay 2006
25-02-2006, 07:27 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
VT Station. If you're a fan of victorian architecture then this is a beauty.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

25-02-2006, 07:29 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
photographers clamour for a picture of the celebrity stand

25-02-2006, 07:33 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
This guy ran the 7km course in short bursts and is seen here finishing exhausted. India needs people like this to show that being born differently is not a curse.

25-02-2006, 07:34 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
Evidence of marathon sandal running

25-02-2006, 07:36 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
Two feet off the ground to prove I was running! What a great feeling that last 500m was.

25-02-2006, 07:39 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
The GlaconFamily. I owe alot to Munny and Jath for letting me indulge in what can turn into a rather selfish obsession.
25-02-2006, 07:39 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
... and the pic

25-02-2006, 11:22 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
Great pics GMan, thanks for sharing them with us. Have a nice cold Kingfisher or three on me Smile

Run. Just run.
25-02-2006, 02:13 PM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
You da man MLCM.

Actually I'll be drinking Amberro tonight, made by Fosters I believe. The Fosters in India is actually drinkable (as opposed to the UK version). Well, if you chill it to near freezing.

How good it would be to share a glass of Tooheys with you mate.

Did I see mention of Old Pec on your thread? The Theakston / Black Sheep breweries are up the road an hour from me. Brings back some interesting memories. I don't drink it any more; like Andy I'm a session man. But it should be part of every man's drinking education.

Do you get Taylors down under?
25-02-2006, 10:34 PM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
Running a marathon in sandals is just astonishing. Except of course that nothing in India is astonishing because everything in India is astonishing. If that makes sense.

You have that dazed "I've just run a marathon" look about you. It's a good one for Jath's scrapbook.

Once again, well done Mate. This was a great achievement in very tough conditions, and certainly one of the most fascinating marathon tales we've had on these pages, so thanks for that too.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Do get to Calcutta if you can.

Greetings to the GM family from all here.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-02-2006, 11:54 PM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
glaconman Wrote:Did I see mention of Old Pec on your thread? The Theakston / Black Sheep breweries are up the road an hour from me. Brings back some interesting memories. I don't drink it any more; like Andy I'm a session man. But it should be part of every man's drinking education.

Do you get Taylors down under?

Yes as much as I liked the Theakston OP, I doubt I could drink it all night (whoa MLCM - what are you saying???!) Excellent beer, but.

Taylor's Landlord is available down here in Oz, but I haven't seen it in my part of the country. I'll certainly tuck that one away for future reference though.

Amberro I don't know at all, but a quick Google suggests, as you say, that it is being made by Fosters. No plans to sell it outside of India though it seems. Do let us know what you think of it, GMan!

***STOP PRESS***
An amazing thing just happened. Due to a minor car crash yesterday which has put my car off the road, I was walking this afternoon through a rarely perambulated part of the city when, in my never-ending-quest for interesting and diverse beers, I visited a bottle shop (Aussie for "liquor store" or whatever you call them in your part of the globe) I had never been in before. It didn't look very promising BUT, in literally the farthest most corner of the store was a small quantity of the rarely-seen Kingfisher beer, and at a heavily discounted price! Did I buy some? Did I ever!

Is there a running-beer-God or what?!?!

A pretty damn fine beer too. Lovely with pistachios. Mmmm.

[Image: kingfisher.jpg]
Run. Just run.
26-02-2006, 08:36 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
andy Wrote:Running a marathon in sandals is just astonishing. Except of course that nothing in India is astonishing because everything in India is astonishing. If that makes sense.

Not quite as astonishing as that, but I have seen a young Turk running a 10km fun run in (what I think you call) flip-flops and denim jeans, designer sunglasses perched atop his head. I saw him at a drinks station about the 6km mark, and he appeared to be running easily.

Made me sick :mad:
Run. Just run.
26-02-2006, 08:58 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
That's just the most reassuring post i've ever had the pleasure of reading.

You know, I always have faith in Him, but then in this day-and-age our faith CAN be tested. Then these things happen and I know He exists and He's becoming such a strong part of my life.

I'll be doing my Puja this evening, that's for sure .... probably over ... hmmm I must try a Royal Challenge.

Difficult to say about the Amberro as it was preceded by a Kingfisher, a Fosters and several plates of lamb masala.

Smile
26-02-2006, 09:56 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
glaconman Wrote:Difficult to say about the Amberro as it was preceded by a Kingfisher, a Fosters and several plates of lamb masala.

Smile

Then you'll just have to try it again. Just to be fair, like Smile
Run. Just run.
09-03-2006, 01:07 PM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
glaconman Wrote:Do you get Taylors down under?

Dropped into one of the locals earlier today and they'd re-stocked their English beer fridge... see what I got! Damn nice too - def a session beer. Could drink this all evening Smile

[Image: landlord.jpg]
Run. Just run.
10-03-2006, 04:00 PM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
What a beautiful sight! I salute you sir. I have trouble getting the bottles in the town that brews it sometimes. The draught version is truly extraordinary and very well celebrated in the UK. Nevertheless, with the choice of beer here in India wearing abit thin I'm very envious.
10-03-2006, 10:35 PM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
Hmm. My elegy to Tim Taylor's draught, written last night, obviously didn't make it across the very ropey internet connection at the hotel.

Yes, a great beer. Indeed, my very favourite beer, brewed just round the corner from Mr Glaconman, of course. They might be rum boogers oop there, but they can brew a decent pint when the mood teks 'em.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-03-2006, 10:20 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
glaconman Wrote:Nevertheless, with the choice of beer here in India wearing abit thin I'm very envious.

Interesting. I went to an Indian restaurant tonight where they had both Kingfisher and Maharajas. Admittedly I had a couple of Kingfishers before trying the Maharaja, but I thought it a pretty good beer. And it was the genuine article, imported from India, while the Kingfisher was made under license in New Zealand.

I thought the Maharaja lighter in colour but a little more interesting in the palate. But maybe I'd had too much rogan josh by then? Anyway, recent consumption of both beers has enlightened me considerably to the quality of Indian lagers. To be honest, I prefer them to the European equivalents they seem to have been copying. Although the Maharaja label was pretty uninspiring...

[Image: maharaja.jpg]
Run. Just run.
15-03-2006, 06:17 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
I should probably qualify that statement MLCM. The choice in my local wine shop is wearing abit thin. There is a great variety of beers and lagers in India. For example, when I've been to places up North I've had very interesting strong, dark beers from Jammu & Kashmir. If you can find one of those down-under I'll be astounded. Smile
15-03-2006, 06:21 AM,
Pictures of Bombay 2006
btw my international-beer-premier-league table has been etched on my mind for the last 5 years or so now now:

1. Czech Republic
2. UK
3. Tasmania
4. India

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bombay 2006 - Race Report glaconman 8 4,471 22-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  Bombay 2006 - Vultures glaconman 12 4,862 06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Bombay 2006 part 3 glaconman 0 1,676 27-12-2005, 05:25 AM
Last Post: glaconman