Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
February has arrived
28-02-2006, 07:26 AM,
February has arrived
Thanks MLCM. But more importantly, I salute your international beer knowledge. I was about to point out that Old Speckled Hen is a product of the Morland brewery, but a cursory web search revealed that the brand is indeed owned by Greene King. That explains why the pub was offering it, alongside two other Greene King ales. A lovely pint in my opinion, although I wouldn't manage more than about three (strong, and relatively sweet).
28-02-2006, 07:31 AM,
February has arrived
My beer knowledge as such is largely thanks to a small handful of ex-pat Poms who run online beer stores down here. Not content with cold Aussie lager, they import English beer and flog it to those few of us down under who apreciate a great ale. Which is not to say great ales aren't made here as well (Coopers and James Squire are superb), but it's important to broaden one's horizons Big Grin
Run. Just run.
28-02-2006, 08:48 AM,
February has arrived
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:My beer knowledge as such is largely thanks to a small handful of ex-pat Poms who run online beer stores down here. Not content with cold Aussie lager, they import English beer and flog it to those few of us down under who apreciate a great ale. Which is not to say great ales aren't made here as well (Coopers and James Squire are superb), but it's important to broaden one's horizons Big Grin

Yep, beer appreciation certainly does broaden you.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-02-2006, 08:55 AM,
February has arrived
andy Wrote:Yep, beer appreciation certainly does broaden you.

He's quick, he is.

Andy, if you ran as fast as you provided one-liners, you'd be right up there with the sub-3s, never mind the sub-5s Smile

[Image: beerbelly.jpg]
Run. Just run.
28-02-2006, 12:02 PM,
February has arrived
So much to do, so little time . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-03-2006, 01:15 PM,
February has arrived
The Goring 10K results have been published: 192/876 overall, 125/357 in class (although the latter excludes all the people in the older classes that beat me…). Quite gratifying. It turns out that my arch-nemesis, who I burned off in the home straight, was the winner (of 3 entrants) of the Ladies Masters (60+). Mrs Jeffery, I salute you.

The football season ended on Tuesday with a bit of a whimper: St Andrew’s had comfortably won their catchup game, but lost 5-4 to the divisional runners-up, so finished third and missed out on promotion. I turned out for St Mary’s, but the opposition didn’t turn up, so we played amongst ourselves – a lesser workout than usual. I now realise that it was a dead rubber – we and they were consigned respectively to 4th and 5th (of 8) anyway. Spring season starts straight away next week. Apparently we might be putting out a third team as well.

February summary:

Actual miles: 29.25 + 3 football
Planned miles: there is no plan

Reading Half is 5 weeks away. March will see some double-figure runs. You can wing a 10K, but a half is likely to find you out.
02-03-2006, 01:20 PM,
February has arrived
Shame your football season finishes so early. I'd hoped to be able to swap some footie anecdotes! Anyway, now you can concentrate on the running. Looks like you're capable of some good times Smile . Are you running any marathons this year?
02-03-2006, 01:22 PM,
February has arrived
marathondan Wrote:Planned miles: there is no plan

Ah, a man after my own heart..... Big Grin

marathondan Wrote:Reading Half is 5 weeks away. March will see some double-figure runs. You can wing a 10K, but a half is likely to find you out.

The usual Hal Higdon wisdom is to make sure you get up to at least 10 miles in your training for a half. If you have a more serious target, then by all means knock out a couple of 12s or 13s, but don't overdo it. Your Goring result was good so you should be going into Reading with plenty of confidence.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-03-2006, 01:28 PM,
February has arrived
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Shame your football season finishes so early.
The new season starts next week! It's a commercial operation, and they never sleep (not even Xmas week apparently). They generally go through four seasons per year, with divisions of about 8 teams.

Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Are you running any marathons this year?
I doubt it very much, with a new baby in May. My screen name is turning out to be rather fraudulent. I might aim for FLM 07 (or another spring marathon) but I doubt I'll be committing to marathon training before then.
02-03-2006, 01:32 PM,
February has arrived
andy Wrote:The usual Hal Higdon wisdom is to make sure you get up to at least 10 miles in your training for a half. If you have a more serious target, then by all means knock out a couple of 12s or 13s, but don't overdo it.
I'll probably try 9 this weekend and then aim for about 3 runs in the low double figures (e.g. 10!).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  February 2015 marathondan 8 5,670 25-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  February 2012 marathondan 48 47,791 05-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  February 2011 marathondan 19 23,883 04-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  February marathondan 25 22,542 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Last Post: marathondan