Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 5 Average
February 2006
19-02-2006, 07:45 PM,
February 2006
Wow, a PB on that course is a big achievement. Many congratulations on a fine race and an equally fine report. An exeptional day's racing, Old Fellow, and one which demands the finest wines known to humanity, No?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-02-2006, 09:11 PM,
February 2006
Ditto that. Excellent run in foul conditions. Would have been an enormous PB in better weather, doubtless with Niguella licking her wounds.

But I can hear and see Marvin now... Don't try to engage my enthusiasm, because I haven't got one. All that rain would be hell on the diodes down his left side. Not that anyone cares of course.

One question - what the heck is a nose cone? And would you have run faster with one? Sorry, that's two questions.

Weather fine and sunny here Smile
Run. Just run.
19-02-2006, 10:25 PM,
February 2006
It was a flippant remark, MLCMan; I rather had in mind the front end of a 747, to deflect the oncoming detritous. Forsooth, my bones are sore and tired, and my bed she calls me ever louder . . .
but I've a drop or two left to finish off first.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-02-2006, 10:31 PM,
February 2006
Me too. Forsooth.
El Gordo

19-02-2006, 11:18 PM,
February 2006
Hey....I feel like I've just run the Sussex Beacon Half Marathon with you!Big Grin
20-02-2006, 12:35 AM,
February 2006
Primary fermentation complete! Brew bottled and undergoing secondary fermentation even now. Ready for testing in 10 days or so Smile

This Sweder Brew is the "Sussex Beacon" batch, in honour of a great run, and because it was bottled the same day as the half.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
20-02-2006, 07:44 AM,
February 2006
Sweder, a great time in any conditions. With the weather and holdups (you don't expect a traffic jam at that stage of a half) you must be extremely pleased with the result. An inspiration to us all!

MLCM, even at breakfast time here that looks beautiful!
20-02-2006, 08:40 AM,
February 2006
You can do a lot of things on the internet, but beer-drinking is going to be a new experience for most of us, I suspect.

A tempting sight indeed.
El Gordo

20-02-2006, 08:56 AM,
February 2006
Well done, Ashley!

Greetings from Almería

Antonio

20-02-2006, 11:22 AM,
February 2006
Nice one lardy!

Truly awful conditions. Pissing down, slippery underfoot and blowing a gale. My tennis match was cancelled it was so bad, so I sat in front of the fire and thought of you lot instead. Big Grin

Glad Nigella helped.

Caught a bit on t'radio that morning about the route. Where was it different?
20-02-2006, 11:42 AM,
February 2006
Normally we slog straight out towards Shoreham along the prom, past both piers; this time we did a right at the Palace pier, ran up the one way system towards the London Road, turned left and around past the Theatre Royal, through the lower lanes and back to the main road and across the the prom somewhere near the Brighton Centre.

On the way back we dropped down to sea level (usually stay higher up on the prom), then cut across at the Palace Pier and instead of Madeira Drive and the start/ finish we went up the hill towards Roedean (past the posh flats) to the top of the Marina.

I take it you didn't bother reading the report then? Eek

Did you stay up to watch Murray whop Hewitt's bottom this morning?
Great result Smile

20-02-2006, 12:23 PM,
February 2006
yep that's what I guessed. But what's the logic behind closing the seafront road (if that's what they did) to allow you to cross, rather than just continuing sea-side further east and west as previously.

My guess is that perhaps Brighton wants a [SIZE="3"]BIG CITY[/SIZE](1/2) marathon, and they're testing the water (so to speak) on the issue of road closures.

May even tempt me out of retirement next year...:o

Oh and by the way. Some of it, Wink and great result but no.
20-02-2006, 07:01 PM,
February 2006
Good report of your run Sweder - and it was a good one! You guys in England get the rain, and we get the cold weather. Somehow I think running in the cold is better. And running in the rain and wind can be miserable. In spite of all that, you still did well.

Suzie
20-02-2006, 08:10 PM,
February 2006
Sweder Wrote:Did you stay up to watch Murray whop Hewitt's bottom this morning?Great result Smile

I see he also whopped Andy Roddick - two top ten players in three days! Not bad for someone ranked God-knows-where, but obviously headed very much higher.

Where have you guys been hiding him?
Run. Just run.
20-02-2006, 09:05 PM,
February 2006
I think he's up to 47 in the rankings. Biting at the heels of Henman and that Canadian guy...Rolleyes quite a feat for someone not yet 19.

In case you didn't know, he's a survivor of the Dunblane massacre
20-02-2006, 10:24 PM,
February 2006
Murray's a great prospect.
He's already stated he's not bothered about Wimbledon for a while (though he'll play there, obviously) - a smart move in the war against the inevitable media super-hype.

His older brother plays on the Challenger circuit - apparently he's not bad, but . . .

Oh, and his Mum's pretty hot, too Wink

20-02-2006, 10:30 PM,
February 2006
suzieq Wrote:Somehow I think running in the cold is better. And running in the rain and wind can be miserable.
Thanks Suzie.
I've never run in cold conditions - my chills come from getting a good soaking and then being blow-dried for a couple of hours by icy winds, but nothing that could stand up to Alberta in winter.

One guy I run with on a Sunday wears a full length wet weather outfit. I can't do that; perhaps its the layers of blubber, I don't know, but I'd end up getting wetter inside the suit than without it :o I break into a sweat on the warm up . . . I guess I could always lay off the Guinness Eek Eek Eek

21-02-2006, 09:24 AM,
February 2006
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I think he's up to 47 in the rankings. Biting at the heels of Henman and that Canadian guy...Rolleyes quite a feat for someone not yet 19.

In case you didn't know, he's a survivor of the Dunblane massacre

Oh yes, now I remember you mentioning him last year. Is he the first star player to come out of Scotland? Pardon my ignorance...
Run. Just run.
21-02-2006, 09:26 AM,
February 2006
Sweder Wrote:. I guess I could always lay off the Guinness

Settle down Sweder, you're becoming hysterical...
Run. Just run.
21-02-2006, 10:11 AM,
February 2006
The last thing I wanted this morning was a hilly 5-miler, but such is my limited schedule I can ill afford to skip a run, even with the mitigation of mangled limbs, wasted lungs and a sniffle or two.

Scouting the house for the dog leads (my son kindly takes the hounds out at weekends; I just wish he'd consistantly dump the leads in the same inappropriate place instead of picking new ones every time) I spied SP's Garmin resting on my desktop. Not Nigella, you may ask? Well, to be clear, Nigella dwells within the watch; the Garmin itself is, of course, an inanimate object. Lets keep a grip here, people. I chose to take the watch today; I'd not measured my 'new' Blackcap route, and it would be interesting to see what splits my battered body would produce.

Ten minutes later I was in the by now familiar pose; head down, arms tucked in, knees bent as I struggled into the teeth of a harsh easterly blast laden with sleet. I'm not joking; the rain rode gleefully on the backs of large white globs of ice; I could almost hear them whooping as they smacked into my reddening face. Perhaps this might have been too much for me had I been in any other mode than Dumb Runner; that condition where you didn't want to be out here anyway, so having gone against every insinct to stay in the warm to take coffee and toast nothing is going to send you back until your work is done.

Planet Rock kept me company, a selection of bland tracks chirping away as the fist mile crawled by in around 13 minutes. As we entered the thickets beyond the stables a moment of musical magic lifted my mood. Wish You Were Here conjours wonderful, warm and very personal memories for me. As Gilmours' beautifully pronounced guitar sang through my earphones I felt physically lifted. The sleet abated and I looked up at the sheepless fields ahead with renewed enthusiasm. The Garmin told me the second mile had passed in a tad over 11 minutes, and as Blackcap loomed, dark clouds scudding across her shivering shoulders, I knew this run would improve from here.

I picked up the pace for the next three miles, hammering up the fartlek slope back to the stables at 7:40 pace, my last mile of five in 8:10. George Thoroughgood, Deep Purple and Van Halen helped me home, the former belting out a rendition of Gear Jammer featuring some excellent saxophone and George's distinctive driving slide guitar. Iron Maiden finished things off with Run to the Hills. Perhaps the song would have fitted better at the start, but I'd never have done the thumping baseline justice as I did now, crashing through the tall grass on the final descent into Lewes.

Distance wise I was amazed to find that from the first muddy step onto the downs to the last was, today at least exactly 5:00:00 miles. Vindication of my previous sundial-n-string measuring methods Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  February 2017 Sweder 28 17,216 26-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  February 2016 Sweder 22 12,669 29-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  February 2014 Sweder 5 3,577 26-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Last Post: OutAlongTheRiver
  February 2013 Sweder 29 18,215 25-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  February 2011 Sweder 28 22,588 05-03-2011, 07:46 PM