Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring 09 - the run-up to Boston
03-03-2009, 10:51 PM,
What's the calf news, EG?
04-03-2009, 12:13 AM,
marathondan Wrote:What's the calf news, EG?

Touch wood, not too bad. I've learnt from last time. Didn't hobble for half a mile after doing it this time, and strapped it up as soon as I got home. I also don't think it was as bad in the first place. Today I can barely feel it, but I made that mistaken assumption last time, and it went again. So won't run for a few days. Instead, will aim to get to the gym tomorrow to do a bit of probing. Haven't got time to take 3 weeks out again, so at least must try to keep the cardio up.

Haven't had time to write an entry -- work is manic.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-03-2009, 02:38 PM,
Praise be to St Paula for that. You and MLCM will have each completed a marathon just to get to the start line. Good news!

PS - I thought you said your goldfish had been under heroin attack...

(Meanwhile, heron addiction is destroying British society.)
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM,
El Gordo Wrote:...I think it's overtraining. This may sound laughable, given my patchy regime, but that's the very point. I've had two extended periods of inactivity, following the first injury, and the funeral, and I committed the classic error of trying to make up for lost training. On the Tuesday I ran 11.5 miles, followed by two hard gym sessions, then an attempted 15 miler, halfway through which I broke down.

It's quite possible EG. Not that I would encourage my less is more training of 1 - 2 runs per week, but the upside is that I've been very much injury-free (touch wood).

But it's rum luck (run luck?) for the calf to go again. But you've got a plan, and that's good. And you've got the determination to see it through: do what you have to do and best of British to you.
Run. Just run.
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM,
Cheers MLCM.

Have just been talking to a work colleague (footballer) who's had calf problems. He was strongly recommending regular sports massage over the next 6 weeks. I'll add it to my list.

I agree about the "less is more" -- that's generally what I've been doing. The pattern I was trying to set was 1 long run, 1 tempo run, then 1 interval session on the treadmill. Plus a couple of cross-training sessions. I think that's a good regime for someone my age i.e. 2 outside runs per week.
El Gordo

10-03-2009, 11:09 AM,
A man, a plan, a canal...

Good luck EG, your determination is an inspiration to us all. 4.5 hours in the gym seems to be a good way to show how serious you are Eek. I see from your tweets that you still have calf problems, but at least you're eating well Smile.
10-03-2009, 11:22 AM,
marathondan Wrote:A man, a plan, a canal...

Good luck EG, your determination is an inspiration to us all. 4.5 hours in the gym seems to be a good way to show how serious you are Eek. I see from your tweets that you still have calf problems, but at least you're eating well Smile.

Not determination so much as desperation perhaps Big Grin. I just need to do everything I can, and hope for a bit of luck. I have soreness in my right calf now, but it's not a strain. Just some tightness from Sunday's long gym session, I think. My main problem is judging what to do when. There's no reluctance on my part to the work, but I need to decide what I can safely get away with trying. It's becoming a day-to-day thing. An hour in the gym this evening will tell me more. Thanks.
El Gordo

10-03-2009, 04:06 PM,
Best of luck, EG. It´s a pity that your calf is giving problems again. I know what it is like. I hope your calf gets better so that you can go on training for Boston marathon.

10-03-2009, 05:25 PM,
Thanks anlu -- I will definitely be on the start line. It's the finish line I'm less certain about. I'll just carry on doing what I can (which is quite a lot), and hope for the best.
El Gordo

10-03-2009, 05:30 PM,
If it feels like spring, it is spring.

A few posts moved over as I'm now entering the Boston endgame. I may be a piece down with my queen under severe attack, but I have to believe I have a trick or two up my sleeve.
El Gordo

10-03-2009, 10:34 PM,
It's a trick worthy of the late Ali Bongo, keeping an entire gymnasium up your sleeve. A formidable ally in the battle for Boston without which you'd be on the ropes for sure. With it you are a man, albeit a tad wounded, possessed of cunning, strategy and unending resolve. Have at it EG!

[Image: Bongo_Ali.jpg]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

11-03-2009, 02:52 PM,
EG - I'm a total believer of getting a massage every couple of weeks. It really helps loosen the muscles, especially after a speed workout. You might need to go every week just to get you back on track. Good luck!

Suzie
14-03-2009, 11:21 AM,
suzieq Wrote:EG - I'm a total believer of getting a massage every couple of weeks. It really helps loosen the muscles, especially after a speed workout. You might need to go every week just to get you back on track. Good luck!

Suzie

Hi Suzie

Yeah, I know it makes sense. I had one yesterday, and am very glad. Will write about it on the other bit.

How's the marathon training going? You've been suspiciously quiet, which sounds like good news. A nailed-on PB I reckon. It's a real shame that I won't see you in London. We'll be in California at that time (he said, trying to sound miserable...)
El Gordo

16-03-2009, 11:17 AM,
Well done on the 15 miler El G, you should wear that tee shirt with pride, electing to start the race after your injuries, let alone completing three quarters means you deserved it. Hope the calves are feeling OK today?

[SIZE="1"](re your recent frog tweet, most are spawning late this year, we got our first lot this weekend which is approx 3-4 weeks later than usual)[/SIZE]
Phew this is hard work !
16-03-2009, 11:31 AM,
Great work EG. This feels like you're fighting back from 3-0 down at half time. Finchley was a scrambled goal to bring it back to 3-2, and, while there's still a lot of work to do, as the clock ticks down, the fans are beginning to think the unthinkable...
16-03-2009, 11:55 AM,
Thanks SW and MD. Nice analogy, Dan.

I'm relatively optimistic about Boston. As I've said, all thoughts of PBs are out the window, but I don't mind that. All I want is to complete the distance in one piece. I'm pleased with the calf at the moment. It's a bit sore after 15 hilly miles, but it would be anyway. The key thing is to keep on stretching it and having the sports massages, and I'm hoping it should last the distance. There's still a big jump from 15 to 26 though, which is why the next 2 or 3 weeks are vital. I need to find that middle way between over- and under-training. Well, it's the road miles that I need to find the right mark for. I suspect it would be hard to overtrain on a static bike. It's the impact of the road through the legs that has the danger. At the same time, I have to build up more of those miles to tell the legs what to expect on Patriots Day.

I think I'm doing things right. Unbelievably, it's 3 years since I did a marathon, but there was always some crisis or other. The encouraging thing for me this time is that unlike previous occasions, I haven't lost my focus. Despite the injury problems I have more determination, and this is going to optimise my chances of getting to the finish. I could just do with being fitter. I was conscious yesterday, especially as it got hotter, that my fitness base isn't great. I can't work a miracle in 5 weeks but I can lose a few more pounds and get a bit sharper by keeping up the gym visits. The gym has made a big difference this time. In previous campaigns, without the gym visits, I wouldn't have stood a chance at this stage.

(SW -- we have masses of frog spawn, much of which is at quite an advanced stage by now.)
El Gordo

16-03-2009, 07:08 PM,
Congrats on getting through a tough 15 miler EG! Sounds like you're doing things right and I'm glad to hear you've incorporated a massage into your regime. It's painful, but it does help.

I think I'm doing ok. Kind of pulled a hamstring on Friday (I say kind of as I think its a slight pull, not too serious) so had a rough long run on Saturday. Was supposed to do 40 km. and only managed 36 km. I'm blaming it on the hamstring. Hopefully my last long run in 3 weeks will be much better. We're aiming to do a slow 42 km. run then. And then London! Can hardly wait until the marathon is over...

Suzie
16-03-2009, 08:18 PM,
EG - well done mate.

Great effort to get 15 miles in.

Hows the calf muscle today?
Nick

Pondering
17-03-2009, 07:06 AM,
BTW EG, was there any explanation as to why the Finchley 20 was run in Ruislip? Perhaps -- perhaps -- the locals would have shown a little more interest if the runners had been streaming past with the actual name of the town on their chests?
17-03-2009, 09:56 AM,
Dehydration is an odd and worrying beast. One sees so many pre-racers guzzling greedily from bottles of Vittel only to line up execution-style along the first few furlongs to flood neighborhood garden walls with oceans of clear urine.

There's the frantic elbow exchanges of the Marathon des Paris where the greatest threat to finishing is getting knocked out by panic-struck Parisians thrashing like sharks in a feeding frenzy at the water stations.

And there's the mad South African Ultras, taking their first guilty sip long after the full marathon distance is passed. As is often the case with running hydration's a personal thing. As you alluded to in your piece it's the days before a race that make the difference. Last minute quaffing upsets stomachs and puts intolerable pressure on bladders. Been there, done that :o

[Image: vittel_bg.jpg]

[Image: the-who-whos-next-4217796.jpg]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switzerland - Spring 2011 El Gordo 15 10,052 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Post-Boston El Gordo 26 13,929 19-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man