Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring 09 - the run-up to Boston
20-04-2009, 10:18 PM,
Well done Andy! Wow, you've just run the Boston marathon. What a feeling, what an accomplishment! I'm so proud of you, your determination and grit to see you to the start line, never mind the finish line. Enjoy yourself now - you've really deserved it!

Suzie
20-04-2009, 10:29 PM,
Just a quick update.

FIrstly, thanks for your flattering and touching comments which are thoroughly undeserved.

I'd no idea what time to expect. I didn't want to push my luck but set my pacing wristband for a finish of 4:55. The first 13 or 14 miles were superb. On pace, and comfortable, though there were constant undulations that finally hit back at mile 15 when my glutes (buttock muscles) just suddenly screamed at me. From then on, it was very tough. A completely different experience.

This was by far -- by FAR -- the hardest marathon of the 6 I've done, but boy what a superb event. The Wellesley girls (mile 13) and the students at Boston College (21) were fantastic, and the crowd supprt generally was excellent. So much history and heritage. It was a privilege to take part.

More later, but first a bath. Believe it or not, I've had no beer yet, and have had so much gel and gatorade today that beer isn't immediately appealing. After a shower, then a bath, I'll see how I feel.

Thank you all. Next time I'll do better, and give you more to cheer about.

The good news is that there wasn't a peep from the calf. Big up to Phil the massage guy.

More later.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
21-04-2009, 07:53 AM,
Get out the cheer leaders for our Great El G, brilliant stuff, and just think a couple of weeks ago you were ready to write it off. Have a brilliant holiday, you deserve it. Best wishes to M too.

Sorry I missed the exciting part, started tracking you but had to go to orchestra rehearsal :-(
Phew this is hard work !
21-04-2009, 08:01 AM,
Well Done El Gordo

What a time on a tough course (was just about to write challenging that does not do it Justice!!!). Hope you and M have a great holiday.

Out for a gentle 4 miler tonight. Rescheduled from yesterday cos of sore legs. Then the Monikie half on Sunday with an ascent of 550 feet in the last 2 miles (I understand this just to be a regular Sweder plod!!). And I do not like hills (Boston probably is not the marathon for me lol!!).

Well done. I am so chuffed. Shame I went offline just as the fun was starting.

Peter
21-04-2009, 08:31 AM,
[SIZE="6"]Wey Hey[/SIZE] Nice one El G. What a fantastic event to put on your running CV. Smile

I'm proud of you mate. Just to make the start line was tough enough.
27-04-2009, 09:52 AM,
A bit late, but many congratulations from me as well, Andy. I look forward to reading all about it soon, and a celebratory pint is awaiting your return.
28-04-2009, 02:27 AM,
EG from Twitter highlights Wrote:Never made it to the Irish bar. M returned early from The Strip, demanding sleep. Eventually got out for an Italian. Tomorrow we leave Vegas

Forgive my bad late-night behaviour but the above phrase (taken out of context from Twitter Highlights) suggests a tale that only David Lynch could tell WinkBig GrinEek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switzerland - Spring 2011 El Gordo 15 10,030 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Post-Boston El Gordo 26 13,895 19-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man