Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So that was Christmas...
04-01-2006, 11:53 AM,
So that was Christmas...
thoroughly enjoyed it, much less stressfull than previous years as we didn't have hoards of people staying for the week between Christmas and New year, just 6 to cook for, bliss.

Didn't plan to run on the major festive days so mucked around with Hal's novice schedule a bit, trouble was, the weather caught up with me. I was due to catch up with the 6 miler scheduled for Christmas Day on the Tuesday following, but the pavements were lethal - I got out there and teetered around for 3 and a bit before giving up before breaking an ankle! Off to Mr SW's lovely gym on Wednesday to make up for it on the tready - ouch, 6 miles, tready v.soft compared to my gym at work so sore front calf muscles ( what are they called??) Thursday saw me blood doning so exercise forbidden, undaunted I trudged out a 3+ on the dreaded tready on Friday, actually was so bushed after the blood letting that it felt like treading through treacle..a gentle swim/steam etc to follow.

Last weekend I also switched the scheduled days. The 7 miles I did on Monday were dire, I wanted to give up all the way round, but hung on grimly calling back home to swap my new MP3 player headphones, honestly the ear buds supplied must have been deisgned for an elephant! Chick lit. via the replaced headphones just about kept me going - plus the thought of having to confess on here that I had sacked it half-way round.

Am playing cathcup with the schedule, a four miler today will put me back on track, although until my iron stores have replenished I am resigned to waddling on as usual.

Mental note, must give up/cut down the booze now the festivities are over, have drunk far too much! Now were did I put that Guiness?? - medicinal purposes only you understand.
Phew this is hard work !
04-01-2006, 12:29 PM,
So that was Christmas...
I must speak to me people in Dublin, SW. With all the name checks they get on this site I think the makers of Black Nectar should at least sponsor us . . .

Positive spin on that bad 7-miler: I had a similar day last week, but as Andy reminded me that was the crap run out of the way for a bit. We all have them - the key for you is you chewed it up and spat it out, banked the miles, moved on. I think the front calf issue may be shin splints (check this out to see if it matches up).

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-01-2006, 01:57 PM,
So that was Christmas...
for the positive spin aspect. Looked at info. on shin splints, don't know if it was or not - they are better now, just suspect it was a sore muscle from running in a slightly different style on the soft treadmill.

As for the Black stuff, was delighted to find it has less calories than the average pint of bitter :-)

BTW, where's your Just Giving page??
05-01-2006, 05:51 PM,
So that was Christmas...
It's Just Gone for a bit.
I'm not fund raising this year - Paris is just a glorified qualifier for the Two Oceans in April '07 and my first ever marathon sans fund raising - it's very self-indulgent but I needed a year out from rattling the tin. I'll be fund raising for the Cape Town race though.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph